Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
WANTED / Re: Wanted 1980 IT 175 G muffler and tail light
« Last post by Martin I Henry on Today at 06:42:46 PM »

NOS muffler on UK eBay right now !

Cheers,

Dave R.
WANTED / Wanted 1980 IT 175 G muffler and tail light
« Last post by davedy on Today at 06:21:19 PM »
Hi I'm after a muffler and tail light for my IT 175 G. I'm in Adelaide SA. Cheers
Bike Talk / Re: Why an IT?
« Last post by Fuz71 on Today at 06:17:39 PM »
Iím relatively new to IT ownership and havenít had my 200 for even a year yet and now have a 490 about to work its way through customs (finally... seems like it has taken forever)
I grew up with air cooled 2 strokes in the 80s, always wanted an IT but the old man was a Kawasaki fan, we started with a KX80 and then had an 84 KDX200. An excellent bike I might add.
Time went on, the IT line was long discontinued and I eventually started buying my own bikes all Yamaha from a TT to YZ 2strokes and YZ 4strokes. The IT series had become distant memory, until now.
I enjoy both my bikes with some 30 years of technology between the two of them. The modern YZ fx for everyday rides and the IT (soon to be two) mostly ridden on special outings with other enthusiasts with similar era machines.
Ironically the modern era has allowed us to locate, obtain and restore some of these fantastic bikes from all those years ago so we can continue to enjoy them today and I expect long into the future.
Long live the mighty IT

Cheers
Julia

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
IT 200 / Re: Big bore kit
« Last post by Kickaha on Today at 05:23:18 PM »
and also a big bore sleeve (YA876BB). Not cheap.
What piston is used with that?
IT 465 / Re: IT465 VS IT490 ENGINE
« Last post by evh on Today at 03:04:53 PM »
what are the casting numbers on the barrel and what is the engine number it could be a YZ of some sort too.. visually a YZ490J barrel looks like a 465 one externally.

some stuff is the same.. some is different. straight cut primary gear vs helical.. the crank is different.. kick arm shaft.. there is a change in the cases somewhere too but everything swaps about between the two.

it could be oversize 490 piston in a 465 barrel too.. there's a thought that it would be possible but it's unconfirmed that a 465 barrel could be bored to that size.
i will check the casting numbers tomorrow and report back

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

« Last post by harko on Today at 01:31:19 PM »
Im a very simple fella, I lock into something and there I will stay. Riding bikes in the early Eighties was a great time in my life. I love riding 2 strokes and everything that goes with that.

I like the  Yamaha IT, YZ Look , the feel , the noise , the smell. Its hard to explain to someone who didnt ride these bikes back in the day thus Fred's problem with the bike shop owner.

I'd like to say Vinduro's as well but seeing as Im rarely at one it's a bit hard to put that down, but they are enjoyable.

Funny thing is I can't get excited about other brands of bikes like a PE, KDX etc... I just dont have an affiliation with them so tend not to care when someone prattles on about them.

Harko
« Last post by Cooky375 on Today at 01:12:49 PM »
 I did some thinking about this over the xmas holidays. Every time I went for a ride, even with blokes with modern 4 strokes, I'd always walk past my modern YZ250 and load up my IT175. That left me thinking, especially when I keep getting told "get a 4 stroke, they are easy to ride". My conclusion was, fun, I have more fun riding my IT then a modern bike, I enjoy how hard it is to ride it well and how good it feels when you get it right, in the crowd I ride the IT doesn't loose much to a modern bike through the bush(mx track is different and hill climbs). I rode a new Husaberg, 4 strokes aren't for me. And the simplicity of a aircooled 2 stroke engine is brilliant and you can still do some tinkering your self for performance gains.  As for IT's, Yamaha's are reliable and strong, then you have parts interchangeability.
IT 465 / Re: IT465 VS IT490 ENGINE
« Last post by 4V5 on Today at 11:59:03 AM »
what are the casting numbers on the barrel and what is the engine number it could be a YZ of some sort too.. visually a YZ490J barrel looks like a 465 one externally.

some stuff is the same.. some is different. straight cut primary gear vs helical.. the crank is different.. kick arm shaft.. there is a change in the cases somewhere too but everything swaps about between the two.

it could be oversize 490 piston in a 465 barrel too.. there's a thought that it would be possible but it's unconfirmed that a 465 barrel could be bored to that size.
« Last post by fred99999au on Today at 10:52:55 AM »
For me it is the Vinduro scene here in Aus. Non competitive until the beers come out, great blokes all round, and good fun.

Bloke at a bike shop said to me once " why don't you scrap that old heap of sh_t and buy a nice new four stroke"

My answer was "Because you can't run it in an event for 30 year old bikes, ya clown"

He didn't like that much, but sold me his last two 6v stop/tail light globes anyway.

And my first bike was a Yamaha. Still have it out of pity for what I did to it.
IT 490 / Re: IT490 Shock rebuild
« Last post by fred99999au on Today at 09:21:24 AM »
I can say with 100% authority, bloody carefully.

I can also say with 100% authority that even if the shock appears to have leaked all of the nitrogen out, it is trying to deceive you into undoing the retaining rings.

This will then explode and send the shock body 15 feet across the workshop to hit a roller door or some object you just finished the perfect paint job on and placed carefully out of the way so as not to ruin the perfect paint job.

There will be a valve like a schrader valve or a rubber bung that gets pierced with a hypodermic needle.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10