Author Topic: PW 80 with X-tender  (Read 2777 times)

Offline Helmet_Hair

• Yama-Idol
  • ....two wheels move the soul.
PW 80 with X-tender
« on: March 20, 2011, 09:49:56 AM »
I thought I'd throw a pic up here after I installed the x-Tender to my son's PW 80K.  Simple process:  just remove shock, spring, eyelet on the end of the damper, and install this 2" spacer, and put the eyelet back on, re-install the shock.  Took me about 2hrs. to complete.  I also had to remove a link out of the chain since it started to sag with the increased ride-height.  Came out pretty good, really.  Less "stink-buggy" than I thought it would be and the boy still fits on it well.

Here's a shot from the rear:

'79 IT 250 F x 2
'83 PW 80
'93 DR 350 S
'90 600 Katana

Offline Martin I Henry

• Yama-God
  • Europe
    • Dave's Bikes
Re: PW 80 with X-tender
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 08:28:57 PM »

and install this 2" spacer, and put the eyelet back on

Is it similar to the DT / IT shock extender ?

Dave R

Offline Helmet_Hair

• Yama-Idol
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 01:51:12 AM »
Yes, but your unit (the one I'd installed on my 125) was of a much higher quality.  Seriously, the metal was different.  I'll get a close-up of the x-tender so you can see.  Paid $25 for this thing...yours would have been worth much more.  Also, on the pW, the damper end is toward the swingarm vs. the headstock.  It'll make getting a picture of it easier. ;D
'79 IT 250 F x 2
'83 PW 80
'93 DR 350 S
'90 600 Katana

Offline blue200

• Yama-Legend
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 07:05:19 PM »
i did some work on a mates' sons pw80 a few weeks back, his bike rear end was very low
i noticed the bald back tyre was almost touching the upper section of the swingarm,
had no chance of fitting a new tyre on it
 looking from the behind the bike the upper section was sitting out approx 35mm wider than the lower section on each side
it had been ridden by adults and the swingarm had spread out on the top
i ended up taking it off and used a jack between the rear axle holes and the front/top section to move it back to where it should have been
ended up raising the rear almost 3 inches, sits about the same as your top pic

theres a few hot ups for these 80's too
i modified the air intake tubes and took the restricters out the exhaust
goes a bit harder now

Offline Helmet_Hair

• Yama-Idol
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 12:50:15 AM »
Yes, I took the restrictor out of the exhaust of my son's bike as well.  Can't tell if his bike was ridden much by adults, but I know this bike has taught dozens of kids how to ride.  It's been crashed extensively and I've had to straighten a few pieces myself.  It's fairly clear this bike wasn't made with a full-sized adult in mind.  the puny suspension and triple-tree suggest no one over 100# should even be on this thing, let alone hit a bump with it.
'79 IT 250 F x 2
'83 PW 80
'93 DR 350 S
'90 600 Katana

Offline hawaiiysr

• Yama-Cheese
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 06:46:37 PM »
I did quite abit of work to my daughters PW80. need less to say this thing can hall the mail! clutch work, head work, FMF pipe, and some port work. I suck the bowl dry by the time I hit the middle of 3rd gear