Author Topic: Another IT 490 article  (Read 8598 times)

Offline scrimsmustang

• Yama-Idol
Re: Another IT 490 article
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2010, 07:58:09 AM »

Like Mark said the HP ratings don't seem to add up somehow.

I am pretty sure that you will have a smile on your face once your 490 is running, and it will turn to a grin when you ride it !

At the end of the day, I would think that your IT490 will be finished to a very high standard, and will be worth a fortune here in the UK. That has to be good !!

Dave R

Im really looking forward to riding it Dave, i havnt even started to put it back together yet to be honest. I was hopeing it must be a little bit more than the article. I keep reading the 490 described as a tractor and it makes me wonder, im guessing they mean plenty of torque for a 2stroke though.....  ???

Im going to resto it the best i can but i have lots of pattern parts DC sidecovers Renthals etc etc so its never going to be a concours original spec bike.  I have no plans to ever part with it though when its back together, its going in the keeper section with the TDR250  ;D.....  To tell the truth i have no idea what a restored 490 would be worth in the UK. I have seen very few for sale maybe 1 or 2 unrestored bikes on ebay.

Offline Wyogoose

• Yama-God
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2010, 03:18:50 PM »
You hit on the important word and that is torque. The HP ratings could be identical, but what are the torque ratings?? The larger bore, longer stroke and heavier crank add up to a lot more torque. I have no idea what that value would be but as said, it is worth a permagrin for a couple of days ;) ;) I may have access to a dynometer. If it works out I will put the 465J and the 490K on the contraption with a fresh topend on each and see if I can get some readings at 6,500 feet elevation. The closest I have to a little bike is a IT200N and it will be a while before it is together so I may wait until I can test all three at the same time unless an opportunity arises.

Torque is why a typical 200 horsepower diesel engine will pull harder than a 200 horse power  gasoline engine.

I hope this helps
As a welder I can fix anything but a broken heart,  and I have a rod to work on that :) :)

Offline scrimsmustang

• Yama-Idol
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2010, 02:41:34 AM »
Torque, i hope so as the 07 RM125 puts out a claimed 41bhp but its all topend power.........