Author Topic: Share your DT200's tune up / jetting specs.  (Read 30091 times)

Offline ant73

• Yama-God
  • lets go for a ride
Re: Share your DT200's tune up / jetting specs.
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2008, 12:01:01 PM »
the self injection can stuff up from time to time on all bikes not just yamaha
IT 175G       '83'PEEWEE 50    '69'GA 90     '10'VT750s
Life is short, Occasionally Bend the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Life may not to be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance

Offline rodeobob

• Yama-God
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2008, 12:06:15 AM »
With the age of the bikes and the fact that they are all in various states of absolutely rooted when they have come to me i am inclined not to test the pump.

I did not have a procedure for testing the autolube setup when i bit the bullet and decided to go with premix. It says in the book blah blah but on the suzukis i have owned in the past they have had a RPR X MLS formula. Put premix in the tank, run the deliver hose into a container and run the bike at a steady RPM.
Plus on one bike with autolube i ran the tank dry. That will never happen with premix. Premix bought by me anyway. Never rely on a mate to oil your fuel. lol.

I bought this cuta block off plate from a guy on ebay. If for no other reason it was so i could use this horn bit of gear.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270310488819&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_RCRX_Pr4_PcY_BIN_IT&refitem=270280176158&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&usedrule1=CrossSell_LogicX&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget&_trksid=p284.m183&_trkparms=algo%3DCRX%26its%3DS%252BI%26itu%3DUCI%252BSI%26otn%3D4

Im going to grind all the pump mouting and cover gear off on of my clutch covers as well.

Bob.
DT200R- Im for sale
DT175 '90
RG250WD
Builds in progress.
TIT175
YZ200WR 
RZ250K- Im gunna be special.
VictIT- A very sad Victa 8-34E (8HP 34") Ride on that im going to set right. IT175 motored racing mower, i mean how can you call it a Victa if its not a 2T.

Offline Jock

• Owner
  • Yama-God
    • Vinduro
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2008, 12:12:27 AM »
If you r going to scrap that auto oil mix setup, scrap that original carby.

The carby is the life of the motor - bite the bullet and get a new one or a good second hand one,
get a high performance mikuni or keihin carby and jet it right for the 200cc motor.

You will never look back.

Jock

Offline cj_dt200r

• Yama-Legend
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2008, 12:27:17 AM »
hmmm i may be interested in following your premix ways bob  ;) let me know how the part off ebay fits etc...

Offline rodeobob

• Yama-God
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2008, 12:57:13 AM »
Its got a flatslide 28mm TM Mikuni on it all ready Jock. Thats the STD carb.

It will do the trick. Only thing i wish it had was a mixture screw.
The inlet manifold and air box rubber might make it a bit of a mission to use another carb. Its all a pretty snug fit. Not so bad with the pong box thing removed, but still a sh_t of a fit.

The pump hole cover thing fits perfect.

If ive put up a pic of the RH side of the bike you will see it, its shiny.
Ive got another one here, i was thinking about getting it anodised but the bike is not realy flash enough to run a colour scheme, well not a bling color scheme anyway.

Bob.

DT200R- Im for sale
DT175 '90
RG250WD
Builds in progress.
TIT175
YZ200WR 
VictIT- A very sad Victa 8-34E (8HP 34") Ride on that im going to set right. IT175 motored racing mower, i mean how can you call it a Victa if its not a 2T.

Offline kiethy

• Yama-Rookie
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2008, 11:24:36 PM »
Hi there, mine also has a 35 pilot and the crank seals are fine. The 35 for mine is jetting around a worn slide, not perfect but any smaller and it would idle way too high. Local mechanic found most dt's need the 35 if running premix and are opened up a bit

Offline rodeobob

• Yama-God
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2008, 01:21:39 AM »
Thanks dude.

PM me your address and i will send you a big kiss. Nah i will send you 2, one for you and one with a bit of tounge you can pass on to your mechanic. :P

Any smaller than 35 and mine wont start at all, it only just runs on the choke with a 35.
How clued up is your mechanic?? I was talking to my mate today and the best we could make out was that the boysen dual stage reeds in it are heaps stiffer than the std ones and that might alter the Jetting needs as well. Is that valid or are we making stuff up???

Back when i was a bit of a younger lad i lived out bush, one of the mechanics at the local dealer was a bit of a DT200R fan and had a few. Last time i was there i dropped in and said hi. I spoke to him on the phone last week and a mate of mine dropped in and saw him as well. He was a bit baffeled with this whole DT thing and we both thought he would be able to shed some light. Other than sharing that the good old DT200R will pretty much run with no crank seals at all he couldnt put a finger on it. From what i can tell im not loosing any gearbox oil and its not thinning out, it was mentioned that one DT was know to chew the box oil in about an hour and its still went ok save for a blowing a bit of extra smoke. Ive had the alternator off and it wasnt wet in there and theres no evidence of the seal leaking. It was a bit 'tacky' but that was all over so i put it back together.

When i get some coin im off to a bike shop to see if i can get my hands on a 40 and a 45 pilot. I might go a 37.5 and 42.5 as well depending on price.

Its just a bit of a curve ball. An old mag i read they went down to a 22.5 pilot, up a clip on the needle and a 170 main. I guess things change in 20years and im a dumbarse thinking that running premix fuel would make stuff all difference.

My other consideration was that the pilot Air jet is replaceable. Would a different size here help???

Cheers, Bob.
DT200R- Im for sale
DT175 '90
RG250WD
Builds in progress.
TIT175
YZ200WR 

Offline kiethy

• Yama-Rookie
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2008, 09:17:27 PM »
No worries ;) 

When I got mine it had a 45 pilot and br9ea plug and was doughy and fouled all the time. Mechanic I refer to is well respected and been around bikes for 30years or so. We found the  crank seals ok but the crank was chewed out a bit making a small leak. fixed with speed sleeves. Threw a 30 pilot in at same time and found it now ran too lean and idle wouldn't drop. Further digging found a worn slide and after pricing a new one we decided to jet around the slide with a 35 pilot. It's not perfect as in still idles a bit high but runs for hours in the bush without causing probs and piston shows no sign of lean probs.

I run standard reeds as back to back with boysens my mate found the standard had more bottom end, but he didn't have to change jets at all. The only dt's I know running on standard jets don't have any mods, not even an exhaust. One major factor is running premix as when you add oil you can't get as much fuel through. Also a lot of them siezed from incorrect emulsion tube (factory mistake I think p4 is correct)

Lastly , mechanic said you could change pilot air jet but it's more than likely air leak related if you have to

What piston is it running? 

I run br8ea plugs but don't hold it on peak revs much, b9ea for road, b8ea can cause chip in servo to cook

My jetting is
35 pilot
2nd clip
170 or 175 main can't remember

hope that helps

Greg

Offline cj_dt200r

• Yama-Legend
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2008, 09:28:08 PM »
Also a lot of them siezed from incorrect emulsion tube (factory mistake I think p4 is correct)
is this from disconnecting the oil pump and trying to force the oil trough the carby? or just when the bikes is standard?
 and i think you will be getting more questions from me hahah you seem to know alot about dt's  8)

Offline kiethy

• Yama-Rookie
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2008, 09:51:26 PM »
Not from premix, just a lean (for emissions) emulsion tube from factory that caused probs with later white model I think, especially on road riding ie sustained throttle conditions.

Yeah mechanic told me heaps over a beer one arvo.lol