Author Topic: Broken Transmission Drain Bolt  (Read 1262 times)

Offline froidy

• Yama-Pupil
Broken Transmission Drain Bolt
« on: May 13, 2019, 07:34:52 PM »
Hi guys, apologies for multiple posts on the forum. Just realised this is the correct area I should have posted originally.
I am a complete idiot and have managed to overtighten and break the tranmission oil drain bolt on my 92 WR200. Anybody ever done this before that may be able to offer advice?
It's a fairly long bolt and the bit that snapped is the very end where the thread is so it's a fair way in. the rest of the bolt (about 64mm of it) has come back out, leaving the bit way down in the thread. I know I'm in deep sh_t. Any help appreciated! Thanks in advance. (I have a torque wrench on the way as I obviously need one)

Offline froidy

• Yama-Pupil
Re: Broken Transmission Drain Bolt
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 07:35:51 PM »
20190512-214350-resized" border="0

Offline Fixitandy

• Yama-Rookie
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2019, 02:26:33 PM »
Hi mate, if you can get at least 2.5-3 threads if purchase on the bolt, just clean up the end so it?s flat & proceed as normal, that bolt is part of the side cover fixing arrangement but as long as it doesn?t leak at the drain point, all good, just clean both surfaces(drain point & copper washer) with solvent/cleaner a little blue loctite, just nip it up, ride & check, if no leaks, job done. If that doesn?t work you?ve got no alternative to stripping it down on that side till you can drill & easy out. Let me know how it goes? Cheers Andy.

Offline froidy

• Yama-Pupil
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2019, 11:12:38 PM »
Hi mate, if you can get at least 2.5-3 threads if purchase on the bolt, just clean up the end so it?s flat & proceed as normal, that bolt is part of the side cover fixing arrangement but as long as it doesn?t leak at the drain point, all good, just clean both surfaces(drain point & copper washer) with solvent/cleaner a little blue loctite, just nip it up, ride & check, if no leaks, job done. If that doesn?t work you?ve got no alternative to stripping it down on that side till you can drill & easy out. Let me know how it goes? Cheers Andy.
Thanks Andy!
Will certainly try that first and keep you posted! Cheers

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Offline Fixitandy

• Yama-Rookie
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2019, 09:12:08 AM »
Thanks Andy!
Will certainly try that first and keep you posted! Cheers

Hi croustade, how did you get in with the drain bolt? Andy.

Offline froidy

• Yama-Pupil
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2019, 12:25:52 PM »
Hi croustade, how did you get in with the drain bolt? Andy.
Hi Andy, got it sorted. Had to take off the clutch cover, clutch plates, combustion chamber, drain coolant and a few other bits. Finally got to where the bolt snapped off and managed to get it out. Went for a ride the other day. Also put in a new spark plug and chain and sprockets. Loving this bike! Thanks for your help :)

Offline Fixitandy

• Yama-Rookie
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2019, 09:22:25 AM »
Power On Brother. Doing the same this morning 🤘