Author Topic: HELP! I'M AN IDIOT :(  (Read 206 times)

Offline froidy

• Yama-Cheese
HELP! I'M AN IDIOT :(
« on: May 12, 2019, 10:08:41 PM »
Hi guys, I am a complete idiot and have managed to over-tighten my WR200 oil drain bolt (Have a torque wrench on order) and have snapped it off at the thread about 64mm through the hole :( Is there anything that can be done? I have heard of easy outs but not sure if they can be used in this case. It just kept doing up and I thought the washer was a crush style and just doing it's thing. I was a split second away from leaving it and putting the new transmission oil in and seeing if there would be any leaks when it happened. I have drained all old oil out. I have 64mm of bolt in my hand + the head and the other small piece is down in the casing where the thread does up. Please help. Yes, I'm a complete tool but hopefully I'm not the first person in existence to do this. Any help or advice would be appreciated!

20190512-214350-resized" border="0

Offline fred99999au

• Yama-God
Re: HELP! I'M AN IDIOT :(
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 08:10:28 AM »
That is a very long oil drain bolt. I doubt that an ezy out will be long enough to get to the remnants of the bolt.

Might need to split the cases on this one.

Offline froidy

• Yama-Cheese
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 07:29:04 PM »
Thanks for the reply Fred, I was afraid you might say that. So pi__ed at myself for doing this! My dad has done a fair bit of maintenance on these over the years so can probably get him to assist me. I take it there is a fair bit involved in this? He's gonna kill me as he's always warning me about being too heavy handed with bike bolts :(

Offline froidy

• Yama-Cheese
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 07:31:22 PM »
I also wondered whether you had to have a bolt going all the way through. Wasn't sure if you could tap a new thread in the front part and put a smaller bolt in to plug the hole? Need to do some more researching I think and find someone that is up with WR's locally that may be able to take a look at it.

Offline fred99999au

• Yama-God
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 09:30:35 PM »
Still seems like a bloody long oil drain bolt to me. Might let oil out but not sure that was its intended function. Especailly based on the tide mark half way up.

If it is a drain, you could potentially grind the munted bit off to stop it binding, replace the copper washer or anneal it and find a socket that will fit on a small screwdriver to do it up. Not much gravity in oil.

Offline froidy

• Yama-Cheese
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2019, 10:25:02 PM »
It's a horizontal drain bolt on the WR200, not a vertical one under the bike like most bikes. Goes through the crankcases by the looks and picks up a thread on the other side. I think I'm up sh_t creek without a paddle...

Offline wishiwas16again

• Yama-Rookie
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2019, 10:48:25 PM »
Hmm  :(
You might be very lucky and the bit that's snapped off inside isn't actually stuck, in which case you just might be able to tease it out with something like a flat bladed screwdriver?
My other thought is a magnet very securely glued to the end of a screwdriver or similar.  You can get tiny rare earth magnets, perhaps small enough to go into the hole?  You don't really want to lose a magnet down there too!
But as you suggested yourself, if the oilway is clear, just leave it and tap a new hole into the casing and use a short flanged bolt and copper washer instead. I can't see why that wouldn't work if there's enough material to tap in to.
I've found a good way to avoid over tightening is to use a very short wrench, or at least hold whatever you are using as close the the bolt as you can and avoid using any leverage.
Good luck and let us know what happens.

Offline froidy

• Yama-Cheese
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2019, 06:18:53 PM »
Thanks Wish, praying to hell that tapping a new hole in the casing will work, the bit that has snapped off seems in there pretty good and proper. Cheers for the advice mate, really appreciate it!