Author Topic: IT400D - piston source?  (Read 220 times)

Offline dorkpunch

• Yama-Cheese
IT400D - piston source?
« on: April 28, 2019, 11:51:06 AM »
Just picked up this awesome thing.  My best friend growing up had one just like it, although I'm pretty sure his was a '76. 

Bought it basically sight unseen, hauled it home, started it up, and bleh.  Noooiiiiiiii-zeeeee.  Looking for recomendations for a piston kit.  The piston in it has all sorts or cut-outs on the skirt.  The Wiseco kits look like they are just a plain jane solid piston.  Will that matter?  Any tips or suggestions while I'm in there?

Planning on a new intake boot as well.  Not having much luck finding a gasket kit close either...

Offline dorkpunch

• Yama-Cheese
Re: IT400D - piston source?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2019, 01:24:57 PM »

Offline fred99999au

• Yama-God
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2019, 02:06:13 PM »
I got one for my 400D about 12 months ago. From memory it either came from BBI in Perth via the engine reconditioner who bored it or from Ken Colvin in Heidelberg.

It is a Wossner but doesnt look like that.

Online Martin I Henry

• Yama-God
  • Europe
    • Dave's Bikes
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2019, 05:26:42 PM »

Welcome to the forum dorkpunch.

That is a good looking IT400D!

I've seen a lot of pistons and rings for sale on eBay lately both in the US and UK.

That piston looks pretty normal to me, I,m guessing it's a genuine Yamaha item.

Take a look at the top of the piston, if you are lucky, it may have the size marked on it.

Ideally you need to get your worn bore measured so you can work out what oversize you need. If you don't have the correct tools for that job, you need to find an engine shop that can do that accurately for you.

Cheers,
Dave R.

Online Devondan

• Yama-God
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2019, 06:36:13 PM »
I?m pretty sure that the wiseco pistons are made for the YZs rather than the ITs so have a cut away rather than the skirt ports. But the work fine. NOS IT pistons appear on eBay from time to time, I?ll be needing a 1st oversize soon, mine is still on a standard bore!
IT  400D - Trail riding
74 Montesa Cappra - Racing
YZ250 H - Racing
Norton ES2 500 trials
Norton 250 Jubilee - Road
Norton 350 Navigator (in boxes)
Norton 350 Single M50 (in boxes)

Offline enduras_wr200

• Yama-God
  • Heavy Metal is the Law!
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2019, 03:47:23 AM »
   Welcome to the forum and congrats on the bike! I also think that it looks like a normal worn piston, no excessive wear from the looks of it. I have no knowledge on these bikes, just what my eyes tell me. I'm sure you'll enjoy IT immensely when the time comes to take it out for a ride!

Cheers, Fanis

Offline dorkpunch

• Yama-Cheese
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2019, 11:20:54 AM »
If I could post the videos... It moves.  A lot.  It actually runs (ran) great, but it was really, REALLY noisy.  Piston was clanging around something horrible.  Appears to be the original piston, and if the odometer is accurate (which it likely isn't) it's got over 4,000 miles on it.  Got my measuring tools in at work, will have to bring them home tomorrow and see but I'm almost positive it's a standard bore.

Offline dorkpunch

• Yama-Cheese
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2019, 06:59:15 AM »
So I ordered a nos oversize yamaha piston, rings, bearing, pin, etc off of ebay.  Now the question is, anyone know what the clearance / tolerance is to bore it to? 

Online Martin I Henry

• Yama-God
  • Europe
    • Dave's Bikes
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2019, 11:20:51 PM »

You really need to get yourself a manual, it will make your life a lot easier!

The piston clearance is in the Owners Manual on the top part of this page: http://davestestsandarticles.weebly.com/it-wr.html

You may need the password: 22rimfire

Cheers,

Dave R.