Author Topic: 1984 DT200R - I've got an issue (video example)  (Read 435 times)

Offline SuettiJimi

• Yama-Pupil
    • DenwayClassicCustoms
Re: 1984 DT200R - I've got an issue (video example)
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2019, 07:36:31 AM »
Hey mate!

Thanks for your post. Muchly appreciated. Also, yes: 37F.. You're on to it!!

Top compression seems to be fine. There is movement in the bottom end. Have already started dismantling so will eliminate the issue.

Thanks!!

Offline Glenngt750

• Yama-Rookie
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2019, 07:50:20 AM »
I have a 1991 model that sat for awhile. Took me three tries to get the carb working properly. My gas tank also was rusty, so I dealt with that. Before you tear it all apart you need to figure out WHY it's not working. Start small. How did you prove the electrical system is working properly? Did you use a factory manual to clean the carb, taking care to do every step mentioned? Are the "needle and seat" working well? To clean my carb, I think blowing out the internal passages with compressed air was what did it. Have you checked/changed the spark plug? Is the spark plug cable in good shape? Are the carb manifolds tight and leak free? Are you using fresh fuel? Is the wiring harness in good shape? Have you done a compression test? All these are easily checked, without having to dismantle the engine.  If you do not have a compression tester any dealership will do it for 15 min. labor. Good luck. I'd also suggest NOT using fuel with Ethanol in it, if possible. It goes bad in 6 weeks or less! In Canada, our higher grade, or Premium fuel has no Ethanol.
From:Edmonton, AB. Canada. Bike(s): 1990 Yamaha DT200R, 2006 Honda GL1800A, 1977 Suzuki GT750, 1985 Honda VF750FF, 1987 Honda VFR700F2.

Offline SuettiJimi

• Yama-Pupil
    • DenwayClassicCustoms
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2019, 10:49:56 AM »
Already started hehe. Engine is out.

The bottom bearings are well spent anywho: also leaking oil from gearbox slowly. Might as well eliminate all the mechanical issues first. New gaskets and seals.

Will order them as soon as payday comes along. I've got a motorcycle mechanic as a friend so getting pointers every time it's needed. At least after it's done I can trust the engine is in good condition afterwards.

If it's poked when I open it up then it's only a loss of $250. Then some local DT owners might be in for some nice cheap parts!