Author Topic: Wheel Rims and rebuilds  (Read 518 times)

Offline wishiwas16again

• Yama-Rookie
Re: Wheel Rims and rebuilds
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2019, 07:27:09 PM »
I'm proud to be british.  It's great to mix up both imperial and metric.  I think I'll go and get a 3m length of 4x2" timber I need for the shed  ;D

But, back to my question though.  What do I need to buy  :-\  Will something with the right external dimensions naturally have the right thread in it?

Thanks.

Offline fred99999au

• Yama-God
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2019, 07:38:03 AM »
Will something with the right external dimensions naturally have the right thread in it?

Not nececelery. Refer to the buchanons chart and make accurate meaasurements.

On a side not, I just picked up a KDX175 for a mate and I can tell it has been rebuilt by an old bloke. Full of brass slotted screws...metric though

Offline Martin I Henry

• Yama-God
  • Europe
    • Dave's Bikes
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2019, 05:36:17 PM »

The place where I get my wheels done puts the threads on the spokes using an 80 year old thread rolling machine.
That means that the spoke thread is always bigger in od than than the actual spoke.

I've had to take back spokes that were too long before and they just cropped them shorter and ran them through the machine again.

To complicate matters the spokes are now available in a metricated form of British Standard Wire Gauge, so basically, they just roll the threads until they fit the nipples they keep in stock at the time.

I very much doubt that any standardised taps and dies exist to help clean up spoke threads.

Cheers,

Dave R.