Author Topic: Wr200 cutting out at high revs  (Read 1447 times)

Offline tyman212

• Yama-Pupil
Wr200 cutting out at high revs
« on: April 08, 2019, 02:35:22 AM »
Recently picked up a wr 200. Been going through it figuring everything out.

The problem I?m having is it cutting out at high revs in gear. Almost like a rev limiter on a 4 stroke. See video attached.

When I got it the stock pipe end was mashed up. So I ordered an fmf pipe and pc silencer. Found the main jet in it was a 160. So I bumped it up to a 240 I believe. Air box is opened up. Float height is correct.

Then I found the base gasket leaking, so I replaced that. Top end looked like new.

Crank seals are good. I checked the nuetral switch, it works as it should. Even tried it unhooked, still does it.

Tried swapping the ignition coil with another one, not sure it?s good or not. But there was no change.

I checked the timing with a timing light. It?s just after the first timing mark on the flywheel.

What else is there to check?
I feel like it?s ignition related.
Could it be a bad cdi box?
  http://photos.app.goo.gl/vsV1EjxrGQZ97mDb9

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline tyman212

• Yama-Pupil
Re: Wr200 cutting out at high revs
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2019, 01:48:29 PM »
I took it for another ride today. Noticed if I only give it about half throttle it seems to rev up close to all the way. It?s only if I go wide open that it cuts out. I?m thinking of doing a plug check at wot to see what it looks like. Might also replace the crank seal on the mag side just to be sure.

One thing I forgot. Is the voltage regulator wasn?t working when I got the bike. So I replaced that. Could that have damaged the condenser? I will try test the condenser.

Offline wishiwas16again

• Yama-Rookie
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2019, 01:36:40 AM »
Did you change the plug?  Use the recommended plug and also pay attention to setting the gap right.
The jump from 160 to 240 main jet is pretty big. Also might align to your observation that part throttle is good, as at that point you are mostly still on pilot and the needle is still limiting the fuel.
Good luck and keep us posted.

Offline McPaavola

• Yama-Legend
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2019, 02:41:01 AM »
WR is very sensitive about carb adjustments. I changed one size bigger mainjet to mine when I replaced pipe and it ran like s**t.  Went back to stock jet and even lowered needle by one groove and then it was OK, maybe still little bit rich.
"There are two kinds of motorcycles. Yamahas and almost Yamahas"
DT200WR '94 | YZ125K '83 | YZ125L '84 enduro | TZR250 '90 | RD125LC '86

Offline tyman212

• Yama-Pupil
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2019, 12:17:36 PM »
Yeah I tried a used plug and now a new plug. Both br9eya. Gapped to .028? if I remember right.

The 160 main in it I believe was from the previous owner riding in the rocky mountains. A lot higher elevation than where I am.

I read a couple threads where guys are running 240 main jets. So that?s why I jumped that much. I don?t think I have a 220 or 230. But I will get them and give it a try.

Rode the bike again today and noticed it seemed fine when it was still warming up. But after I rode it for 5 min or so then it started cutting out. So hopefully jetting is the right way to go.

Offline enduras_wr200

• Yama-God
  • Heavy Metal is the Law!
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2019, 06:11:38 PM »
   Hi there tyman212, I don't think it has something to do with the capacitor/condencer. My guess is that both the jetting in general is off, and there is a big chance that the plug can't cope. From what i read in NGK's site the br9eya is not for automotive use, only personal watercraft and snowmobile, its electrode is different, so maybe it can't cope with the conditions of a motorbike. So I think you should change the spark plug to a BR9ES as was standard, or to a higher spec (but much more expensive) BR9EIX and then look to the jetting

Cheers, Fanis

Online mikeyvet

• Yama-Idol
  • Moss Vale Australia
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2019, 09:36:57 AM »

Rode the bike again today and noticed it seemed fine when it was still warming up. But after I rode it for 5 min or so then it started cutting out. So hopefully jetting is the right way to go.

Sounds rich.

Is it blowing smoke? A DT200 with too big a main jet run OK till warm then will stutter like that and blow a bunch of white smoke.

Offline tyman212

• Yama-Pupil
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2019, 09:41:42 AM »
Here?s the difference between the br9eya and br9es. The eya was build to help stop the plug from fouling on 2 stroke snowmobiles. The difference is the v notch in the electrode and it sticks down a little further.

An eya is considered an better plug over the es. So I keep eya on hand. But I could try an es just to rule that out.

I will go down to a 220 main. I couldn?t get any other sizes smaller than the 240. So will see how that changes it.

I wouldn?t say it smoking a whole bunch. When I blip the throttle there is a puff that comes out. But don?t think I can see any while moving.

Offline storie585

• Yama-Hero
  • 83 IT 490
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2019, 09:58:53 AM »
My guess is that it?s too rich on top. Down on Main jet..
Dave

Offline tyman212

• Yama-Pupil
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2019, 02:55:13 PM »
Here?s the pics of the 2 plugs I forgot to attach. Eya on left. Es on right.