Author Topic: Chris' 98 DT200r project  (Read 310 times)

Offline dt200chris

• Yama-Pupil
Chris' 98 DT200r project
« on: March 23, 2019, 09:01:45 AM »
My dt200r project, bought it last October for $450, as a pile of scrap in a milk crate, PO was trying to restore unsuccessfully.. she had good crank bearings... No play what so ever, crank seals had been installed backwards.. so over Xmas I replaced all gaskets, seals, hoses, new wheel bearings, new brakes. 97 yz250 front fender, 2001 dt230 rear fender, DEP S2 silencer, KTM indicators and also fitted slim alloy pillion pegs.... This is not an original resto project, it's resto mod, waiting on boyesen 666 reed set to arrive, already have it registered, awesome lil 2smoke to play with..

Offline enduras_wr200

• Yama-God
  • Heavy Metal is the Law!
Re: Chris' 98 DT200r project
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2019, 09:05:05 AM »
   It is a very good all around play bike, quite capable of some serious action! Enjoy!

Cheers, Fanis

Offline mikeyvet

• Yama-Idol
  • Moss Vale Australia
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2019, 09:43:14 AM »
Those reeds and muffler really wake these bikes up once you dial in the jetting.

Offline dt200chris

• Yama-Pupil
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 05:55:58 PM »
Reeds are in, had to wind the air mix screw in 1/4 turn as per Boyesens' instructions
wow very happy with the result... feeling very sharp down low and into the midrange, feels like it may need slightly larger main jet or needle adjustment maybe ??
I am running the auto-lube pump (new seals, clear outlet/ feed line) so have standard jetting

Offline mikeyvet

• Yama-Idol
  • Moss Vale Australia
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2019, 07:03:27 PM »
From memory I had to change to a richer idle jet, put the needle clip in position 3 and I kept the standard main jet on mine, it has the reeds, standard chamber and an aftermarket muffler.

If it's too rich on the main the engine will miss and blow smoke at full throttle, if it's too lean it just feels flat, try a couple of bigger mains, you'll soon feel the coughing if it's too rich, when it stops the miss it's right but go one leaner to get the idea of what lean feels like. Do the same with the clip, missing and blowing smoke at mid throttle being too rich.

You're lucky you can adjust the idle mixture, Australian models you need to replace the jet as there is no idle mixture screw, only and idle speed screw. I had to go up one jet.

Offline dt200chris

• Yama-Pupil
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2019, 02:56:08 PM »
No missing, bogging or excessive smoke @ WOT just feels like it could be a lil sharper... i can feel it has a lil more in it
ok so im a little confused as to what (the correct name for) it was i adjusted (from what i had read it is supposed to be 1.5 turns out), when looking at the inlet side of the carb there are two little holes on the lower side of the inlet, a brass screw jet needle thingy in the left hole, have to remove the carb to adjust it.. .25 of a turn back in made a very noticeable difference to throttle response ?? but yes think I should go to the third clip on the needle next and see how it goes !!
I am in Qld so it is a Aus model with mikuni tm28ss flat slide
overall really happy with the improvement from #666 dual stage reeds and the DEP muffler
and all the knowledge i have picked up off this forum, built this lil rocket with no workshop manual,
cheers to all

Offline dt200chris

• Yama-Pupil
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2019, 03:03:00 PM »
so i assume the correct name for what i adjusted is the "idle jet" (inside carby inlet ???)
i know the main and pilot are accessed via the bowl and they are not adjustable... must be screwed in fully
Cheers,

Offline fred99999au

• Yama-God
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2019, 07:25:08 AM »
Sounds like your about to lose an air correction jet when it rattles out of the bellmouth of the carby. I'd probably do that back up.

Airscrew is on the side of the carby and given it is a 98, probably wont be accessible due to emissions laws.

Offline dt200chris

• Yama-Pupil
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2019, 02:52:40 PM »
Hey Fred, screwed that air jet in, thought it was idling really good before but now can feel a noticeable difference.
when i bought the bike and stripped/ checked/ reco'd, it was set at 1.5 turns out which is where i returned it to....
now i know why the external idle screw was turned all the way in.. idling puuurrrferct now..... cheers