Author Topic: The Yamaha IT Alloy Fuel Tank Thread.  (Read 511 times)

Offline Martin I Henry

• Yama-God
  • Europe
    • Dave's Bikes
The Yamaha IT Alloy Fuel Tank Thread.
« on: January 27, 2019, 05:15:30 AM »

Here in the UK, fibreglass motorcycle fuel tanks were banned for highway use due to some spectacular and sadly fatal accidents in the early 1970's.

When the time came that motocross and enduro bikes came fitted with polyethylene tanks, UK law lumped them in with the fibre reinforced items despite the obvious strength and durability advantage, so consequently they were illegal for road use.

So, in 1980, when Yamaha UK brought in the first wave of Yamaha G model IT's into the UK, any that were registered for the road were supposed to have metal tanks substituted and the plastic item returned to the importer.
The alloy tanks were late arriving and many bikes were sold and used before the legal cells were available.
Also, a proportion of UK IT's were not registered straight away as they were being used for enduro competitions and not venturing out onto the Queens highway anyway!

When the tanks arrived, some owners did not bother collecting the poorly made items as they were extremely expensive and preferred to ride with the strong but illegal original.

It was a similar situation in 1981 with the H models. Again, the alloy tanks were expensive and sometimes poorly made.

Meanwhile, Yamaha UK were working with Government departments, lobbying them to accept the results of trial carried out that proved that the plastic tanks were not prone to failing like the old fragile fibreglass items of the past.
Allegedly, one test was of an Army armoured tracked vehicle driving over a plastic fuel tank! It supposedly ?popped? back into shape and had not burst or distorted.

In 1982, the law still had not changed and the J models that Yamaha UK imported were Aussie ADR bikes. Along with the battery, indicators, and bulb horn, the UK J models had a decent alloy tank that actually looked like the original plastic item. Again, these tanks were late arriving any many owners chose not to bother with the expensive alloy alternative. These are probably the alloy tanks that are seen for sale on UK eBay.

Finally, in 1983 the law was relaxed and plastic tanks were accepted as being legal.

Although my ramblings have concentrated on the Yamaha IT range, Honda had the same problem with it?s XR models. My 1982 XR200RC was supposed to be supplied with an alloy tank.
I have no knowledge of what Kawasaki and Suzuki did to make the UK bikes legal.

Offline Martin I Henry

• Yama-God
  • Europe
    • Dave's Bikes
Re: The Yamaha IT Alloy Fuel Tank Thread.
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2019, 05:20:59 AM »
So, post-up your photos of IT's fitted with an alloy tank....

I'll start with my 1981 Yamaha IT125H:

The tank was an appallingly made item, it lasted two weeks before a crack formed along a weld!

Cheers,

Dave R.

Offline killindini1

• Yama-God
  • IT200L IT200S SDR200 WR250Z 1992
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2019, 07:50:49 AM »
Here's a few pics of my IT200 Alloy tank i made

Cheers,
Steve.
Beer is more than just a breakfast drink

Offline Martin I Henry

• Yama-God
  • Europe
    • Dave's Bikes
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2019, 08:08:37 AM »

I was hoping you would add a couple of photos Steve !

Cheers,

Dave R.

Offline killindini1

• Yama-God
  • IT200L IT200S SDR200 WR250Z 1992
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2019, 09:17:17 AM »
Not the genuine article though...but its alloy 8)

Cheers,
Steve.
Beer is more than just a breakfast drink

Offline Martin I Henry

• Yama-God
  • Europe
    • Dave's Bikes
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2019, 05:17:31 AM »

1981 IT125H plastic tank vs 1982 IT125J Alloy tank:

Cheers,

Dave R.

Offline mboddy

• Yama-God
    • Vinduro Penrite Team
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2019, 08:17:27 AM »
Vinduro Penrite Team
1980 IT125G, 1979 IT175F, 1984 IT200L, 1977 IT250D and IT400D

Offline fatterhatter

• Yama-Idol
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2019, 09:05:20 AM »

Those look far better than the IT range by west coast, someone from Australia needs to talk to them about making IT range copies, particularly because higher ethanol levels in fuel is eating the old OEM tanks.

Offline Martin I Henry

• Yama-God
  • Europe
    • Dave's Bikes
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2019, 09:14:41 PM »

I was told that this tank was for a IT250G/425G.

This tank made big money on eBay a couple of years ago..... Way out of my price range!

Cheers,

Dave R.