Author Topic: Fork rebuilding? Fork seal replacing?  (Read 347 times)

Offline Xagtly

• Yama-Cheese
Fork rebuilding? Fork seal replacing?
« on: September 18, 2018, 10:33:44 PM »
Anyone replacing fork seals or dismantling their forks?
If so, a 30mm tool is required to undo the inners.
Sometimes you can be lucky and they can come apart, but if not, you will need a "special tool".
Surprise, surprise, the nut size is the same as many front wheel drive car driveshafts. Some are single hex, but loads are double hex. Get the double.

Anyway, I built my own tool using one of these nuts and an old jimmy bar that was lying around. I'd show a pic but it's on my phone and I can't upload it.

If anyone would like one of these nuts to make their own fork tool, then contact me. I'll send you each one to make your own tool. In my case, I didn't need to weld it, but I did have to grind the outside shoulder off it. Can grind it down in case you don't have a grinder.

They are free to any member and provided the postage isn't going to break me, I will also cover that. You blokes in the UK may be in that category. ☺
Just my way of paying back from any gains I've found from this site.

BTW: There's a member here called Shorts (David). I bought an exhaust muffler off him. He sent it to me unpaid. Obviously, I made certain that I fixed him up for it. One genuine true Aussie bloke. 👍 Unheard of in this day and age.
So, stuff it. If anyone wants one of these nuts to make a tool of their own, my turn to help.
If only a couple respond, I will weld an old 1/2inch drive socket into it, so you can use a  ratchet with a couple of extensions on it. (One way of utilising all those old sh1tty rusty sockets) 😉
Steve

Offline Bigshorts

• Yama-God
Re: Fork rebuilding? Fork seal replacing?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2018, 04:14:26 PM »

Well that is very kind of you to say Steve, I appreciate that very much, its nice to associate with good folk and there are plenty of them here, had some very positive experiences on this site. on to other matters  :D, I would be keen to get on of those fork tools from you as there as only so many broom handles i have to secretly replace ...!!!

Shorts
When someone hands you a flyer, its like they are saying Here, you throw this away.

IT200 IT490 WR2500 IT175G x2  Ariel Red Hunter .. lots of parts unknown

Offline enduras_wr200

• Yama-God
  • Heavy Metal is the Law!
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018, 04:29:58 PM »
   Thanks for the generous offer Steve! I have built myself the special tool for the applications I needed, but thanks anyway! As Bigshorts mentioned, this forum is full of helpful and generous people. I have been on the receiving end time and again! This place is light a lighthouse in these dark times!

Cheers, Fanis

Offline mirage

• Yama-Pupil
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2018, 07:13:52 PM »
Hi Steve, yes very generous offer, after this weekends VTR ride at Mudgee I am planning to replace fork seals on my IT17J, and may rechrome forks as well as few small rust trails starting to show. If this would be suitable for this model would like to take you up on your offer of a nut to make up a tool. Have a grinder and welder so can make up the complete tool as required, also happy to pay for any postage and a fee if required. Will pm you my address and let me know if you require anything further.
Many thanks

Offline Xagtly

• Yama-Cheese
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2018, 06:30:00 PM »
Had a PM from another member plus mirage. (Same person?)
Anyway, posting tomorrow.
I'll keep a few in my shed in case anyone else wants one.
I run what was Gold Coast 4WD. Can't say who owns us now in any social media, but we get so many front wd cars now that these nuts get thrown in the steel scrap bin.
As for postage, if r a couple of $ is going to send me broke, then I will need to get out of bikes and cars. ☺
What's that old saying? "If it has wheels and t!ts, it's gonna cost ya"

On a brighter note, my 200 is coming together.
Painted the rims and scratched the sheet out of them. bl__dy tube kept going down on me. 3rd time lucky. (Twice it had no bubbles showing when immersed in water. 3rd time I found a big hole from the rimlock. That had me scratching my head. It should have been blowing bubbles more than Michael Jackson)

Was going to buy all new plastics but it's a rider not a show pony.
They're cleaning up ok, but don't seem to get the gloss back like my XRs have.
Maybe the blue colouring in the plastic doesn't respond like the red?

Anyway, that's for another thread.