Author Topic: New IT400E Owner Looking for YZ400 Susp. Conversion Guidance (& General Insight)  (Read 874 times)

Online Martin I Henry

• Yama-God
  • Europe
    • Dave's Bikes
but they'd be way too tall with stock rear end.

kosmo, have a read of this topic : http://www.yamahait.com.au/forum/index.php/topic,23932.0.html

I'm using this lengthened IT400D/E shock on my YZ125E/RT180/IT175E race bike and it works really well.

Cheers,

Dave R.

Offline kosmo

• Yama-Rookie
Very interesting thread, great info! Thanks! I will have to inspect it in depth later today.

From what I gather, you weren't the one to lengthen the shock, correct? What exactly goes into the process of increasing the stroke, do you know?

Online Martin I Henry

• Yama-God
  • Europe
    • Dave's Bikes

I did the work whilst the Factory Manager was at some meeting !

The shock contains an internal shock travel restricting spacer. I just made a new one that was somewhat shorter, thus extending the stroke.

Any good suspension shop could do this work for you.

A word of caution though. The IT400D/E has a massive front sprocket centre to swinging arm pivot centre distance. This causes the chain tension to fluctuate wildly when the suspension is compressed. Extending the rear shock makes the situation much worse !

Cheers,

Dave R.

Offline kosmo

• Yama-Rookie
That is great knowledge, thank you! I am guessing that is why you convert to the rear chain tensioner when you do the YZ swingarm swap.

I feel like currently all the signs are pointing in flashing red at "ride it as is" haha. I don't HATE the stock stance, it just feels a bit dumpy when that low, if that even makes any sense...

Offline kosmo

• Yama-Rookie
made a video about it:

http://youtu.be/c0MaVeR5V4U

Offline mboddy

• Yama-God
    • Vinduro Penrite Team
I enjoyed the video. Your plastics look pretty good to me.
Vinduro Penrite Team
1980 IT125G, 1979 IT175F, 1984 IT200L, 1977 IT250D and IT400D

Offline kosmo

• Yama-Rookie
Thank you :) You're right the plastics are not too bad, I hope to freshen them up a bit. Really happy that the front cowling is in good shape, I feel like that would be the hardest to find. I wanted a second set of plastics from DC to put the stock plastics away and preserve them, but still undecided.

Any suggestions for taking care of the gas tank? I'm not keen on razor blading it but it'd be nice to get some of the green fade off. Someone suggested treating it with mineral oil.