Author Topic: The next project.  (Read 9503 times)

Offline wayne61

• Yama-God
Re: The next project.
« Reply #140 on: November 22, 2018, 08:05:26 PM »
Hmmm.
So its not just ethanol that causes sticker bubbling.
I've used two tanks so far. Original IT and a used old YZ tank.
Got used to the idea that the decals are a consumable item, usually last a couple of seasons.
As mine is a working bike, it doesn't bother me unduly, the little queen may get a cosmetic refresh over the winter, depending on what other junk I buy in the meantime  ;)
To be honest, my main concern is structural integrity rather than cosmetic appearance, I've got an original 84 IT200 tank in the stash with some serious cracks in it.
Pays your money and take a choice, but chucking money at aftermarket tank sealant and polishing up a 30 year old tank to make it cosmetically pleasing may be a folly if it splits wide open after a lifetime of sunning itself in UV radiation.
I replaced the 200 tank with a Clarke, the colour match of the baby blue isn't brilliant. Mine was a cheapo "cosmetic defect" tank. Came in modern Yam dark blue... FFS!!!  ;D ;D
BUT, its solid, leak free and I haven't stickered it up.
Will probably buy similar for my 250. That old YZ tank is living on borrowed time...
Cheers
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

GRIP AND RIP CRAIG AND CHRISSO!!!

Offline Martin I Henry

• Yama-God
  • Europe
    • Dave's Bikes
« Reply #141 on: November 22, 2018, 08:32:25 PM »
Did this end well?

Great photos,

Cheers,

Dave.

Offline Bigusdickus

• Yama-Hero
« Reply #142 on: November 22, 2018, 09:04:10 PM »
Yep seem to remember doing it a few times so my mate Jason could get a picture. Before digital to so it was always a thril getting the pictures back or a disappointment . As far as the tank goes I have done a bit more research and found people that had issues sealing plastic tanks, one was from the forum T.Rex mentioned. So I will just drain it after I use it.

Rich.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk