Author Topic: WR200 UK (Easy?) build project  (Read 3230 times)

Offline Cooky375

• Yama-Hero
Re: WR200 UK (Easy?) build project
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2019, 01:39:05 PM »
I am excited to see this bike completed, it?s going to look a million bucks👍

Offline wishiwas16again

• Yama-Rookie
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2019, 05:13:00 AM »
I am excited to see this bike completed, it?s going to look a million bucks👍
Thanks  :)  I'm starting to think it might cost a million!
Expensive week...

Re-plated cylinder,  Wosner piston & OE Little end bearing - ouch  :'(

Offline Cooky375

• Yama-Hero
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2019, 02:26:00 PM »
Haha, oh well. Shiny things do cost.

Offline Fixitandy

• Yama-Pupil
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2019, 01:48:06 PM »
Thanks  :)  I'm starting to think it might cost a million!
Expensive week...

Re-plated cylinder,  Wosner piston & OE Little end bearing - ouch  :'(
Hi mate, been lurking & following your build as well, why the Wossner piston? Cheers Andy.

Offline wishiwas16again

• Yama-Rookie
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2019, 05:49:30 PM »
Hi mate, been lurking & following your build as well, why the Wossner piston? Cheers Andy.
Simply availability.  I struggled to find one at all in the UK.  Some makes list the same item as oversize for DT200 & Blaster, but it's not clear if they are really the right item, or a compromise. I believe there are differences in the skirts.
The Wossner looks exactly the same cutaway shape as the OE and for the small saving vs. the 'unknown' I opted for this one.

Offline Fixitandy

• Yama-Pupil
« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2019, 08:15:59 PM »
Thanks, thought you may had some inside info as to longevity or performance gains with those, always been a Wiseco man myself, but always on the lookout for an opportunity to improve. Cheers mate. Keep us in the loop with the build. Andy.

Offline enduras_wr200

• Yama-God
  • Heavy Metal is the Law!
« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2019, 01:29:25 AM »
   Great to see your work on this little gem of a bike. Out of curiosity, how much did it cost to re-plate the cylinder and did you check for availability of new? Not more than a month ago, I asked my local dealer and he said cylinders are available new for just a bit more than it would cost me (from Greece) to have it re-plated in the UK. Athena Industries has started offering re-plating services in Italy relatively cheap, but I still haven't got any first person experience with their work.

Cheers, fanis

Offline wishiwas16again

• Yama-Rookie
« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2019, 06:08:10 AM »
   Great to see your work on this little gem of a bike. Out of curiosity, how much did it cost to re-plate the cylinder and did you check for availability of new? Not more than a month ago, I asked my local dealer and he said cylinders are available new for just a bit more than it would cost me (from Greece) to have it re-plated in the UK. Athena Industries has started offering re-plating services in Italy relatively cheap, but I still haven't got any first person experience with their work.
   Cheers, fanis
It cost ?170 including shipping and taxes.  It was done by an engineering company http://poetonaptec.co.uk/. New cylinder in the UK is around ?450 and out of stock.  Piston was about another ?100.

I was hoping to avoid the cylinder work and piston, but once I looked inside there was some minor scoring and the bore was really polished with no honing marks at all, so it needed to be done  :'( Tempting to ignore it, but having put so much effort into the chassis so far it I couldn't leave it.

Better news is that I took the bottom end to the shop today and they measured and inspected the crank/con rod and they said all is within spec and good to go  :)

Offline enduras_wr200

• Yama-God
  • Heavy Metal is the Law!
« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2019, 06:52:31 AM »
   Good to hear bottom end has checked out ok! 170 pounds (can't find the symbol ion my keyboard) doesn't sound expensive all included. It would cost me about 240 from here to send and have it repaired by the same company. Which means 273 euro, plus some exchange fees, so most probably not worth it compared to the new. Yes, I'd go for an aftermarket piston kit too, as my beloved Yamaha has raised the prices just a bit TOO much. Well, on to the rebuild now mate, don't keep us waiting!

Cheers, Fanis

Offline Fixitandy

• Yama-Pupil
« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2019, 09:23:46 AM »
Hi Fanis, out of curiosity, how much was the dealer asking for the new cylinder? In ? please? Regards Andy.