Author Topic: WR200 UK (Easy?) build project  (Read 947 times)

Offline wishiwas16again

• Yama-Pupil
WR200 UK (Easy?) build project
« on: July 29, 2018, 06:47:19 PM »
Hi All,
I'm glad to have found an active group of WR200 owners and enthusiasts  :)
I had one of these new in 1998, loved it, and have regretted selling it ever since.  But in the interests of nostalgia and pretending to be young again, I've just bought this bike. 
It looks a bit neglected and unloved, but basically appears to be complete, and hopefully a great starting point for an easy-ish rebuild.
I've not put a screwdriver or spanner on it yet, so who knows what will be revealed as I get stuck in.
As far as I know, these were mostly unchanged apart from colour schemes over the model life.  I'm not certain on the age of this bike, but the blue frame puts it 1995 onwards I think.
I'll post my progress and no doubt appeals for help along the way?

Offline Spannerz

• Yama-Pupil
Re: WR200 UK (Easy?) build project
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 07:06:08 PM »
Yay!  This all looks very familiar! Rebuild costs should be very reasonable.  eBay is your friend.
YFS200 Blaster
WR200 Yamaha
XL200RD Honda
WR300 Husqvarna

Online Martin I Henry

• Yama-God
  • Europe
    • Dave's Bikes
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2018, 08:34:36 PM »

Welcome to the forum wishiwas16again.

That looks like a great project.

Should keep you busy for a while !

Cheers,

Dave R.

Offline wishiwas16again

• Yama-Pupil
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 07:08:20 AM »
Like most, I'm pretty busy so projects like this have to fit in where they can. 
I've made a start and I'm wondering if this bike has ever been cleaned?!
I now know what a 'barn find' is...  Seems something has been living in the airbox!

Offline Spannerz

• Yama-Pupil
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 08:49:21 AM »
It's a good sign you have blue fluid in the resiviour.  This is something I (most people?) look for when buying a motor.  Lack of treatment in the coolant can easily be a write off... Unless it's soap? Lol.

Also better check your Powerbands.  Might have a few nuts loose...
YFS200 Blaster
WR200 Yamaha
XL200RD Honda
WR300 Husqvarna

Offline wishiwas16again

• Yama-Pupil
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2018, 02:22:03 AM »
Next step, a serious clean - it already looks much better!  The plastics came up pretty good and I got most of the oily grime off the rest of it.
Sounds like it might need a little end bearing?  Hopefully nothing more serious.
If I did this right you should see and hear it here... http://youtu.be/m90EN0LnkLQ  you might have to copy/paste the link.

Offline wishiwas16again

• Yama-Pupil
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2018, 02:38:15 AM »
Other observations:
Rear shock bump stop has disintegrated, so the shock will need to come apart.
Both shock ends have loads of play so I'll get bearings for the whole linkage and swingarm and do it in one go.
Fork chrome is good and they don't appear to be leaking.  But the outer tubes are tarnished and I'm not sure how to get them clean again.
Wheel rims are tarnished but should clean up ok, and the spokes don't seem to be corroded so that's a bonus.
Frame is about the worst part, so I think it will be simpler and by far the best result to get it powder coated.
Does anyone happen to know the RAL number for the 95 onwards blue frame colour?

Plans under way:
Ordered a few bits...
Seat cover
Air filter
Found new old stock front and rear brake discs (not sure it really needs them), wheel bearings front and rear and a set of foot pegs.

So I can get it registered eventually and trying to keep it original I found some XT handlebar switches which should give me Hi/Lo beam and horn.
For a speedo I've got a WR125 digital unit and drive coming - the WR125 has the same front axle p/n as the 200 so I'm hoping this is going to a neat solution with minimum (read none) engineering.  We will see  ::)

Offline wayne61

• Yama-God
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2018, 07:18:09 AM »
I'd go no lights.
You gonna be riding it in the dark?
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

GRIP AND RIP CRAIG AND CHRISSO!!!

Offline wishiwas16again

• Yama-Pupil
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2018, 05:12:58 AM »
Everything is off the frame apart from the linkage - it won't budge and access is awkward  >:(
I guess I'll have to get some heat on it.

Offline Spannerz

• Yama-Pupil
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2018, 07:05:53 PM »
This is the same bolt problem I have.  Mine has the wrong bolt in there and I guess it was also stuck and then cut out.  I would much appreciate it if you could take a photo of what's left when you finally get it out.   Yours actually looks bent.
YFS200 Blaster
WR200 Yamaha
XL200RD Honda
WR300 Husqvarna

Offline wishiwas16again

• Yama-Pupil
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2018, 03:38:59 AM »
Had to cut the bolt out in the end - the problem is that you can't hold the collar still while attempting to rotate the bolt  >:(  I was also nervous about using a lot of heat on/near the alloy linkage.
It's a PITA, but it's possible to get a cutting disc between the frame and the linkage - you need to cut it on both sides. 
I used a flywheel puller to press on the end of the bolt as it was obviously moving around once I'd cut one side off. 
I also used a dremel to grind the weld that stops the head rotating, this allowed me to turn the bolt every so often while cutting.
Looking at pictures and parts diagram it seems the early bikes had grease nipples on the linkage bolts and swingarm, they disappeared around 1995.  Whether these help to prevent this problem I don't know, but they seem a good idea.  Either way, it would be a good idea to take this bolt out and grease it one in a while to avoid a repeat.

Offline wishiwas16again

• Yama-Pupil
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2018, 03:44:19 AM »
Couldn't include all the images in one post - here's a version with grease nipples, there are two versions of this I've found, each using a different bolt with the nipple at opposite ends.
Seems none of the parts are available any longer.

Offline wishiwas16again

• Yama-Pupil
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2018, 03:10:43 AM »
A bit of work needed on the frame - small crack on one the joints, but easily fixed.  Side stand and frame built up a bit with some weld and re-ground to get rid of some of the excess free play.  Frame, stand and spring all ready for powder coating.

Offline wishiwas16again

• Yama-Pupil
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2018, 04:12:01 AM »
Back from the powder coat shop  :)

Offline wishiwas16again

• Yama-Pupil
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2018, 04:15:45 AM »
And a growing collection of new old stock...