Author Topic: IT200 suspension tuning help  (Read 565 times)

Offline mjmudd

• Yama-Pupil
IT200 suspension tuning help
« on: March 19, 2018, 03:41:34 AM »
I am hoping that someone can help me with suspension tuning or settings for me.  I'm 52 weigh 200 lbs and 6' tall.  I will be doing mostly trail riding.  I'd rather not re-spring or re-valve just looking for stock settings that will work best for me all around.

Thanks!

Mike

Online Martin I Henry

• Yama-God
  • Europe
    • Dave's Bikes
Re: IT200 suspension tuning help
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 04:11:20 AM »

I've not ridden my IT200S much, but I have found the standard shock to be a bit soft..... And I weigh the same as a piece of wet string !

At 200lbs you are going to need a re-spring in my opinion.

Cheers,

Dave R.

Offline Fuz71

• Yama-Legend
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 05:48:29 AM »
Definitely get it sprung to your weight. Your post is somewhat timely. I did this to my IT200N yesterday at a VMX meet and my rider weight is 75kg average joe.

Blew out a seal by the looks. This shock was serviced with new seals etc less than a year ago, so I’m scratching my head as to why.

I do have this YZ125 shock on hand, will see if I can use that while the IT one is away being fixed. This is an old photo on my phone of the IT vs YZ shocks YZ one being a little bit longer. There are people out there that have used these as permanent option.

If you put in a heavier spring you should also look at heavier springs up front to balance things out.
IT200 - great bike

Cheers
Julia

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1985 IT200N
1983 IT490K
2015 YZ250FXF

Offline fred99999au

• Yama-God
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 08:48:26 AM »
Stock springs are for about a 70Kg Japanese rider is my understanding and from what I read that was on the light side.

Maybe go to the racetech website and plug your details into their spring rate calculator and see what comes out.

I have just fitted DR650 springs to my IT200 forks but havent ridden it yet.

Online Martin I Henry

• Yama-God
  • Europe
    • Dave's Bikes
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 08:56:30 AM »
Wayne's IT200 rear shock spring works ok for him !

But how many of us are lucky enough to weigh the same as we were when we were at school ?

Cheers,

Dave R.

Offline Kickaha

• Yama-Legend
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 07:33:26 PM »
I do have this YZ125 shock on hand, will see if I can use that while the IT one is away being fixed.
Julia

What model YZ125 is it from?
Eat right
Stay fit
Die anyway

Offline dont

• Yama-Hero
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2018, 08:57:11 PM »
If by trail riding you mean toddle along smelling the roses (kind of what I do) I'd start by winding up the rear pre load until when you sit on the bike fully the rear comprsses about 25%.
I'd look up max air pressure you can run and max oil volume in the forks (within specs) and do that. Check the bike attitude is fairly correct with you sitting on it static then go for a ride and see if it's ok. It might be good enough, it might be you bottom out the suspension frequently and you need to re spring. If you dont bottom out lots but pogo around then try a couple of clicks heavier dampening, and maybe fresh fork oil 5wt heavier.
What goes up must come down, unless you broke a 'rod 😞

Offline Fuz71

• Yama-Legend
IT200 suspension tuning help
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 09:03:21 PM »
What model YZ125 is it from?

1985 YZ125N

The 84/85 shocks are supposed to be the same as each other, except the BASS (which everyone disabled)attachment to the reservoir on the 1985 shock.

Tried it out tonight.  It fits in easy enough, but just a bit longer,making the bike higher in the rear. The reservoir hose is too long so will need to be corrected.
Planning on sending both shocks away for repair together to:
1) fix the original IT shock after it spat its guts
2) rebuild the YZ shock to suit the IT ergos - shorten the shock using a suitable spacer and replace the reservoir hose with the correct length. Something like that anyway. I have the extra shock lying around in a box so may as well build a useful spare - to cover my moto-x antics. Maybe I’ve been doing too many jumps lately..

Pic below: Top shock YZ125, middle YZ125 with spacer to suit IT200, bottom shock stock IT200. This pic is from a very detailed thread on this forum.

Cheers
Julia

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
1985 IT200N
1983 IT490K
2015 YZ250FXF

Offline darren70

• Yama-Pupil
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2018, 08:33:13 AM »
I am doing the same. I am spacing the yz shock to raise the bike 20mm and it is at my suspension bloke at the moment for a revalve and re spring. The forks are there too.