Author Topic: new IT465J owner in the UK  (Read 599 times)

Offline Specialshoe

• Yama-Cheese
new IT465J owner in the UK
« on: January 03, 2018, 12:47:35 AM »
Hello All

I couldn't find any forum or club in the UK and this seems to be quite international so I thought I'd jump in here

I'm the new and proud owner of an '82 IT465j - since I was about 15 way back when I have always wanted one and now some 30 years on - bingo !

Being technology dumb I have failed to put a picture here but there is a snapshot of it in The Gallery - side view - it has an aluminium tank but not sure what make and a Preston Petty rear mudguard.

I don't plan on using it for its original purpose i.e. off road competing - its more for the fun of owning and a bit of pottering about. I've only ridden it once - not sure it's what I expected but certainly kept me interested and slightly scared (maybe a road based trail bike i.e. DT400 would have been more suitable?)

Can anybody give me some guidance on a couple of areas please.....

Oil/petrol mix - Clymer book says 20:1 but this makes it smoke like a bonfire, makes loads of black oil from the exhaust and fouls the plug. I am going to be using synthetic Rock Oil - what is a good ratio for general pottering about.

What is a good spark plug for pottering about - had a wire tipped NGK '8' (forget the exact one) but this didn't last long - are they ok with the normal electrode '8' grade - or for pottering is a hotter or colder plug better?

Can one buy a wiring loom and handlebar switch to plug in which gives hi/lo headlight and a brake light - at the moment its just lights on or off on the basic pull switch by the trip meter - or is a bit of wiring and aftermarket switches the best option?

Will a speedo from say a DT125 LC work ok (same size wheel etc) - currently it has just the distance trip meter.

I don't know much engine history - it runs ok I think and seems to pull strongly  - mind you I have no knowledge of what it should do - is it good as a matter of course to fit new piston rings - if so is genuine Yamaha the only ones worth fitting or are there any aftermarket types that are ok and long lasting?

So this is the start of my IT big two stroke adventure !

Offline wayne61

• Yama-God
Re: new IT465J owner in the UK
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 04:18:28 AM »
Hello mate,
Welcome, there are quite a lot of UK IT people contributing here, glad you've got involved.
Now then, oil ratios are a can of worms.
Bike was designed to run on 20:1, Also, was designed to be ridden hard.
Tbh, I run my 250H at 32:1 fully synthetic and have had no dramas.
Opinions differ...
I'd stick with an 8.
Opinions differ...
Probably no easy plug in wiring loom, yours sounds like a US spec bike.
On my US spec 200 I removed the lights and daytime only mot'd it.
Why would you want to ride at night?
Opinions differ...
Yes, a DT125 Speedo will probably work, i have something similar on my 200.
Yes, would be good to check the top end, not sure if OEM rings are still available.
Crank seals would be worth changing too.
Have fun, and let us know what part of the UK you are from.
CHEERZEN!!! ;D
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

GRIP AND RIP CRAIG AND CHRISSO!!!

Offline Martin I Henry

• Yama-God
  • Europe
    • Dave's Bikes
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 06:33:41 AM »
Greetings Specialshoe and welcome to the forum.

I uploaded your photo by clicking on the thumbnail and copying and pasting the 'Direct Link' code between the image icons.

Nice looking bike.

The alloy tank fitted to your bike is a UK made item intended for the 1981 IT250/465 to make them road legal. They are prone to splitting along the welds due to the effectof the angry 2 stroke vibes.
The clearly superior original plastic items were considered illegal here due an old law going back to the sixties. 

For the 1982 model year, the alloy tanks were made in Japan and are slightly more robust...... Slightly !

Find a cheap plastic item to use and keep the alloy item for show.

As for the Clymer Manual, save it for lighting the BBQ in the Summer.
Download a copy of the Genuine Manual on this page : http://davesbikes.weebly.com/manuals.html
Or even better, buy an original paper copy that you can make notes in.

Use genuine Yamaha parts for the engine if you can find them.

If you change the oil ratio, be prepared to rejet.

Probably not the right bike to potter about on. It's going to need a good thrashing now and again. I suppose you could use Velcro on the grips and your gloves if you have trouble hanging on !

You are right about the adventure !

Where are you in the UK?

Cheers,

Dave R.

Offline MARK ALDRED

• Yama-Rookie
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 08:29:04 AM »
Hello speacialshoe, nice bike and you will sure love it the more you get into it and ride it. I ride mine in the north east vinduro and it’s what the bikes built for and handles it great so well worth entering with your bike. Two things I did to mine to prevent catastrophic failures were 1 I fitted a decomp valve to the cylinder head, it prevents stress and cracking the engine casing and makes it loads easier to start, and 2 I made a bronze phosphorus bush and milled out the clutch cover and pressed it in for the kick shaft as the shaft wears the clutch cover hole and elongates it and can cause more damage. Just thought I’d let you know as it’s well worth the work. Cheers Mark.

Offline MARK ALDRED

• Yama-Rookie
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 08:52:59 AM »
I forgot to mention you can get quit a range of parts for your bike off Motoduro, you bike is really nice but the rear mudguard lets it down but Motoduro sell the original looking / shape type.

Cheers
Mark

Offline Specialshoe

• Yama-Cheese
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 08:46:26 PM »
Hello All

I'm on the south coast - well just north of the south downs between Brighton and Worthing.

Thanks for the info - useful - I'll experiment with oil ratios etc.

I do have the original mudguard but it's split and badly repaired/painted and cracked light lens hence the Preston Petty - which actually I don't mind too much - I know not original and its a bit 'balloon' but it reminds me of my youth when all trail/enduro bikes seemed to sport these - which is why I have the bike now - nostalgia and nothing more - certainly if I ride it as it was meant for I'll probably break myself - I'm just about ok on a small trail bike in my garden (Suzuki TC100)

Yes its a US import - not sure where from though and was then restored/worked on in this country - quite a few new parts etc and is really tidy

The decomp valve sounds like a sensible idea - I have a big two stroke guru up the road - he'll explain how and why - and if and when I pull the head/barrel to check piston and replace rings I'll pop the clutch cover and see what there is for kickstart bearing etc. The motor has fresh gaskets on that side and fresh paint so its obviously been apart recently so maybe done (I'm not that lucky usually though).

Anyway - nice to know that there is knowledge and fellow enthusiasts out there.

I'll let you know how my second ride goes - maybe with some more tarmac suited tyres as these just seem to wheelspin and then snatch a wheelie every now and again.

Offline HLkev

• Yama-Rookie
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018, 11:36:28 PM »
Hello Specialshoe

Welcome aboard... lovely bike you have there. Like the gents said Motoduro are very helpful with spares here in the UK.

Kev...

From Rochester, Kent myself.

Offline Texas149

• Yama-Pupil
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2018, 02:18:09 AM »
Hi welcome to the Dah Ding Ding Ding Club!
I have got stuff NOS from this seller in the past for my 465 inc a Workshop Manual.
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/rpbikesshop?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

Paul m.
Ring-a-ding-ding-ding.......you know the rest.      IT465j (from new 1982) DR600S (1984)

Offline Texas149

• Yama-Pupil
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2018, 11:48:26 PM »
Part Nos and low def exploded diagrams here
http://store.speedandsportinc.com/
Never bought anything from them personally!

Paul m.
Ring-a-ding-ding-ding.......you know the rest.      IT465j (from new 1982) DR600S (1984)