Author Topic: Steady's YZ465 makeover  (Read 849 times)

Offline SteadyT120

• Yama-God
  • YZ465 Airtime
Steady's YZ465 makeover
« on: October 22, 2017, 08:14:14 PM »
Well I've had the YZ465G for a few seasons now and I have enjoyed riding it at VMC and scrambles events.  But it always seemed a bit less than what I had expected...

First off I got some help with jetting from Craig Brown, himself a former top racer of the era and a top race mechanic also.  The YZ performance improved and I thought it was as good as it could be.  My son Jim raced it at a Classic Scrambles meeting and had an epic battle with another of our top club riders on his immaculate and well built Husky 510 4T twin shock mx bike.  They were going so fast that everybody else pulled off the track and just watched them race.

The next time I used it after that was at Pirini when Dave and Pete came over early this year.  Started it up and noticed the cylinder base gasket was leaking...
Back in the van and replaced that back home.   After the new gasket set fitted and an inspection of the internals I was happy she was going well...until...
Jim came to my place with his freshly restored 1987 KX500.  One ride of his bike and I knew mine was seriously lacking some power that it should have.

So I ordered a new CDI from Bill in the States.  It duly arrived and was fitted.  Starting was instantly improved and the bike ran much better and smoother on my home track.  The test would be the next scrambles meeting where a longer track would enable the bike to have it's legs stretched. Plus both Jim and Carl would be there to ride and assess the performance.  On the day the track started out very wet and muddy with marginal grip... not so good for assessing the performance of a big bore 2stroke.   However later in the day it dried out and became better.  Both boys still reckoned they could not get the power down and she was not revving out as they expected.  At one point the bike was bested in a drag race on the main straight by another of our faster club riders on his 1983 YZ250K.  Admittedly there are some technology advances there, and Richard's bike is very well tuned and set up but it didn't seem right.

Back in the pits a spectator came up and started asking about the bike.  None other than Matt Humphries, a NZ motorcycle industry veteran and former NZ Yamaha team racer of YZ465's.   He immediately questioned my gearing, sprocket sizes, I replied they were standard Yamaha fitment for the YZ465G, 14T front and 46T rear.  He explained that that set up was for the USA desert racing scene, and that back in the day they used 14T front and 50 -52 rear for short track racing.  So mine was geared to the moon and no wonder she wasn't pulling cleanly on short scrambles type tracks...

I have now fitted 14T front, 50T rear, and fitted set of genuine OEM hi-rise handle bars.  ( another problem the boys identified was not being able to get forward and get a leg under the bars when cornering).

Test ride on my track this afternoon and bl__dy hell what a difference... she rips now.  I feel like it is finally performing like a big bore 2 stroke should.

The definitive test will be putting the boys in the saddle and getting their feedback.  But I am now really happy, it is everything I wanted.
My Yamahas, IT250H, IT250J, IT200L, YZ465G, TT350, XS1100(& sidecar), RD400, YZ80H, YZ50, PW80, WR250FJ, TTR230

Offline Martin I Henry

• Yama-God
  • Europe
    • Dave's Bikes
Re: Steady's YZ465 makeover
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 08:54:48 PM »

Looking good Chris.

I'm trying to pursued Pete to get a YZ465H as he is outriding his ( my ! ) IT250J.

Cheers,

Dave R.

Offline sweede490

• Yama-God
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 08:59:23 PM »

Great you have it sorted Chris. It’s a clean bike and ran well so will be interesting to see what the
 Boys think now

Muzz

Offline enduras_wr200

• Yama-God
  • Heavy Metal is the Law!
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 11:23:34 PM »
   Great to know you've finally nailed it Chris! Good job. How come you never fiddled with the gearing? I think this is usually my absolutely first messing with any bike I ever had (of course messing isn't always successful)! Can;t wait to hear the youngsters' opinion on the transformed beast!

cheers, Fanis

Offline 4V5

• Yama-God
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2017, 11:59:00 PM »
Awesome update! It's great to hear how bikes that have been built evolve and are tweaked, and people can and will share the knowledge to have them right.

8)
IT465x4 IT400C IT175F YZ465G YZ250C YZ250WR XJ650G RD350LC RD250LCx5 DT175Nx3 TW200x2 DT200L DT200R RT3 RX100G GT80F YZ80L PW50J KH250B1 KZ250D1 PE175C TS250ER TS185ER AG175B AG100

Offline DynoTronix

• Yama-Hero
    • DynoTronix
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 12:44:39 AM »
Glad you got it sorted out, Chris.  Any thoughts of trying the 52T gear?

Bill

Offline SteadyT120

• Yama-God
  • YZ465 Airtime
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 06:48:52 AM »
   Great to know you've finally nailed it Chris! Good job. How come you never fiddled with the gearing? I think this is usually my absolutely first messing with any bike I ever had (of course messing isn't always successful)! Can;t wait to hear the youngsters' opinion on the transformed beast!

cheers, Fanis

Hi Fanis,  to be honest it didn't occur to me to stray from the manufacturer set up.  In my ignorance I just thought a big bore should have taller gearing...
now I know better  ::) ::)
Cheers Chris
My Yamahas, IT250H, IT250J, IT200L, YZ465G, TT350, XS1100(& sidecar), RD400, YZ80H, YZ50, PW80, WR250FJ, TTR230

Offline SteadyT120

• Yama-God
  • YZ465 Airtime
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2017, 06:59:52 AM »
Glad you got it sorted out, Chris.  Any thoughts of trying the 52T gear?

Bill

Hi Bill,

The new CDI is great.  While my old original one was still in working order, the bike could be hard to start and didn't run anywhere as smooth.   Now she starts easily, runs smoothly, and revs out way better in the top end.  Thanks for your work with these old bike ignitions,  it does make a difference and I will recommend them to all my Yamaha IT and YZ owning friends who have the relevant bikes.

As for the 52T sprocket, well they only had the 50T in stock at the time I ordered so I went with that. It has brought the gearing much closer together and I am now able to get into the taller gears and get decent drive.  I will get the boy's opinions next as they are my "Factory" riders if I want to see my bikes go really fast. haha.     8)  I might try a 52T later if needs be.

Cheers,
Chris

Offline Martin I Henry

• Yama-God
  • Europe
    • Dave's Bikes
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2017, 07:17:13 AM »

Now she starts easily, runs smoothly, and revs out way better in the top end.  Thanks for your work with these old bike ignitions

This is the same as the IT250J CDI.
The modern electronics seem to 'wake-up' the engine somewhat.
A valuable investment in my opinion.

Cheers,

Dave R.