Author Topic: 2004 DT 175 Performance Help!  (Read 2137 times)

Offline amongsteucalypts

• Yama-Pupil
Re: 2004 DT 175 Performance Help!
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2017, 05:27:43 PM »
Cheerin. Do i need a whole reed block or wil banshee reeds just fit mine?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline mikeyvet

• Yama-Idol
  • Moss Vale Australia
Re: 2004 DT 175 Performance Help!
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2017, 05:41:54 PM »
Often less is more.

Yep, maybe worthwhile pulling the exhaust to double check the restrictor has been taken out, I have had 3 1/2 DT175 and not seen one but I believe they look like a washer stuck in there. If you change the reeds make sure you don't create a vacuum leak around the block. Boyeson 345's are made for the DT and just screw in in place of the stock steel reeds and stoppers, dunno about banshee reeds.

Get down on your hands and knees and have a look at the head gasket, chances are the copper one has been replaced with a thinner aftermarket one when the engine got it's rebuild, the copper ones are pretty obvious and if so enjoy the nice warm feeling knowing it's been done anyway.

And sort the jetting, really it's not hard on a DT175.

Start at stock jetting and clip position.

To set the main jet start the bike and get it warm on a ride then give it full throttle on an open road. If it's too rich it will blow a heap of white smoke and will miss occasionally. If it doesn't try a bigger jet till it does then go back one. If it does go down a jet and ride it, if it feels good go down another jet and it will probably feel a bit limp compared to the jet before, so go back to the next bigger size.

Then set the needle, stock is the e clip in middle position, ride the bike at 1/4 to half throttle, again if it's rich it will miss occasionally, raise the e clip one notch or put a washer under the e clip and then raise the e clip for a half step, this lowers the needle and leans the mixture, generally one notch smooths it out, once it's smooth I don't bother going leaner.

Set your idle mix and hey presto, fire breathing monster.

Put the money you would have spent on a mechanic into beer.