Author Topic: No lights AND not charging  (Read 3007 times)

Offline DynoTronix

• Yama-Hero
    • DynoTronix
Re: No lights AND not charging
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2017, 09:08:41 PM »
Yes, both coils connect to earth.  Take a look at the solder connection I was talking about, the one I thought might have a cold solder joint.  I think you will see two wires connected to that solder post.  That's where I believe the ends of the two coils meet, and then get connected to earth through the short black wire to the mounting screw.  If the earth connection is lost, there will be no output from either wire.  Since that is the problem you are seeing, that is why I suspect the connection at that point.  It might also be a bad connection on the short black wire, where it connects to the coil, or the ring terminal itself.  It can also be a bad connection between the ring terminal and the mounting screw.  You wouldn't think so, but believe me, I have seen it happen. 

Bill

Offline Tanis

• Yama-Hero
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2017, 10:38:05 PM »
You threw it out i picked it up and fixed it.

Offline mikeyvet

• Yama-Idol
  • Moss Vale Australia
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2017, 04:23:27 PM »
So, how did it all end up?

I bought a brand new lighting coil, fitted it and guess what-no AC voltage coming out, so I took it off and took the old one and the new one to a stator rewind guy in the district. He pointed out that the terminals on the new coil and the old coil were different, so wiring the new coil like the old coil was ar_e about.

So I went home and fitted it and bugger me it still didn't work. I guess you all heard the swearing.

So I got the old one rewound and went to fit it and when I pulled the rotor found that the rotor had rubbed through the wires that I had routed incorrectly. I guess you heard that fit of swearing too.

Then I fixed the wiring, fired it up and whacko, AC current on the stator side. Connected the wiring and no charging current at the battery. I said some rude words.

Found a short at the taillight (yes, I did start at the front of the bike), repaired and now it all works fine.

Went inside, had a Bex and a good lie down.

Offline Tanis

• Yama-Hero
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2017, 10:53:32 PM »
Congratulations on finding and sorting it! electrical is such a PITA to chase down on old (and new) bikes. can be so may different things well done!
You threw it out i picked it up and fixed it.