Author Topic: No lights AND not charging  (Read 3020 times)

Offline mikeyvet

• Yama-Idol
  • Moss Vale Australia
No lights AND not charging
« on: May 07, 2017, 09:17:58 PM »
SO i don't know if I have one or two electrical problems with my 1992 12V DT175.

Last weekend went for a ride and the battery was flat as I had no indicators, and no charging as they weren't working even with the motor running.

Had a great ride but it was sooooo wet, went through a dozen deep puddles and heaps of mud. Anyway, it was getting dark and I noticed the headlight would only light up for a second at a time every now and then, it may have been like this all day, couldn't tell you.

So today I thought i'd look into it.

So no charging voltage at the battery, no headlight.

The indicators horn and brake lights all work fine off the battery and the bike starts and runs fine so I guess the ignition switch is fine.

There is no voltage in the lighting circuit as measured with a DC multimeter but there is continuity from the lead out of the alternater cover to the headlight and taillight and to the regulator rectifier. The resistance of the lighting coil is meant to be 0.14 to 0.22ohms and mine was 0.4 ohms-is this out enough to be a problem?

The battery didn't show a charging current, there was continuity from the white lead out of the alternator cover to the regulator/rectifier, I don't know if there was current there or not. There was no continuity from the red lead out of the regulator rectifier to the battery, so I think there is a broken wire there somewhere. I made a connection between the red output terminal on the regulator/rectifier to the battery and retested but still didn't have charging current. The resistance of the charging coil is supposed to be  0.24 to 0.36 ohms, and mine measured 0.6 ohms, again is this so far out of spec to be an issue?

Well, I then thought I'd have a look under the alternator cover and when I removed it a whole bunch of muddy water came out. Sprayed a bunch of WD-40 in there but no change.

SO, what do you think my problem is?

Is it likely to be a stuffed regulator rectifier as I was basically running without a battery?

Or do I have a stuffed stator because it's been sitting in water?

And will a voltage be detected in the AC lighting circuit and the AC charging circuit when using a DC voltmeter?

When I get time I'll pull the rotor/flywheel off and have a look under there but I'd appreciate your comments in the meantime.

Offline DynoTronix

• Yama-Hero
    • DynoTronix
Re: No lights AND not charging
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 12:50:35 AM »
 I would be more concerned if your resistance readings were lower than the expected values.  A couple tenths of an ohm higher shouldn't be an issue.  Getting accurate readings when measuring low level resistance can be difficult.  What does your meter read if you just connect the two leads together.  Chances are it will be a little more than zero.  Some meters have a "null" feature to compensate for this offset, but if not, you can just subtract the offset from your measurements. 

And will a voltage be detected in the AC lighting circuit and the AC charging circuit when using a DC voltmeter?
Unless your rectifier is shorted, you should not see any AC on the battery side of the rectifier. 

Bill

Offline mikeyvet

• Yama-Idol
  • Moss Vale Australia
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 12:11:19 PM »
I thought being close would be OK, I'll eyeball the stator once I pull off the rotor.

So Bill, will a DC multimeter read AC? Or do I need a different multimeter?

The lighting circuit is AC, as is the charging circuit before the regulator/rectifier and I got no voltage on either using my DC multimeter.  After the regulator rectifier I got battery voltage (12.6v) only, no rise in voltage with the engine running.

Offline mikeyvet

• Yama-Idol
  • Moss Vale Australia
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 02:32:33 PM »
It's the regulator/rectifier

I jury rigged up a DT200 reg/reg and it worked perfectly

Anyone got a 12v DT175 regulator rectifier lying around?

Offline DynoTronix

• Yama-Hero
    • DynoTronix
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 09:34:55 PM »
What is the make and model of your multimeter?  Usually there are is either a rotary switch or buttons that allow you to select DC volts, AC volts, ohms, amps, etc... 

Bill

Offline mikeyvet

• Yama-Idol
  • Moss Vale Australia
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 11:56:52 AM »
The multimeter is a cheap no brand one.

Guess I should stop being so tight and get a proper one, only trouble is I tend to tread on them.

Offline Tanis

• Yama-Hero
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2017, 07:22:36 PM »
The multimeter is a cheap no brand one.

Guess I should stop being so tight and get a proper one, only trouble is I tend to tread on them.

a little bit of treading wont hurt a Fluke meter if you really wanted something quality
You threw it out i picked it up and fixed it.

Offline fred99999au

• Yama-God
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2017, 09:10:59 PM »
Still got my 8060A. Still works. Still a good meter.

Offline DynoTronix

• Yama-Hero
    • DynoTronix
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2017, 10:11:45 PM »
Still got my 8060A. Still works. Still a good meter.

The Fluke 8060A is a very good meter.  Just so happens, that's the one I use at work.

Offline mikeyvet

• Yama-Idol
  • Moss Vale Australia
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2017, 06:19:40 PM »
So during the week I bought a multimeter that measures AC and a new regulator rectifier.

Fitted the reg/rec and fired up the bike, had lights and had 13.5v across the battery.

Went to go for a ride and the high beam light and head light started to flicker again, got home, no lights, 12.6v across battery.

Fitted my jury rigged DT200 reg/rectifier and had no joy.

Pulled out my new multimeter and read the ac voltage in the lighting circuit and the charging circuit before the regulator rectifier, got 0.9V and 1.1V.

Did the same test on my DT200 and got 14 and 15.5volts so I guess my stator is no good and must be failing when the bike gets warm.

Anyone got a 12v DT175 stator?