Author Topic: leaky Oil tank on dt230?  (Read 567 times)

Offline Lozinoz

• Yama-Pupil
leaky Oil tank on dt230?
« on: April 05, 2017, 10:05:37 AM »
Hey guys and gals.

I recently topped up my oil tank (2stroke).

And now it sorta seeps like in the pic.

Does anyone else get this?
(Also why didn't they make the take clear?)

Offline enduras_wr200

• Yama-God
  • Heavy Metal is the Law!
Re: leaky Oil tank on dt230?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 04:16:48 AM »
   Hi there mate, I think it's quite similar to the DT200WR tank (It is semitransparent in that case) I own. That is the oil level sensor. If i remember correctly, the only thing that keeps it in place is the tight fit. It is not air tight or anything, just keeps it in place. With the years that rubber deteriorates and allows some movement, and a leak when oil level is too high, or when the bike leans causing the oil level to increase. There are several ways to get over this problem. The one i chose many years ago and still works is to put some superglue all around the sensor. Then press it on the tank. When the glue hardens, no more leaks. Same could be achieved with many other materials, but glue worked for me, not to mention it was very easy to do. Hot glue could be another material, a thick o-ring to push under what you see another (thus reducing the gap between the part inside the tank and what you see).

Check this parts diagram to see how the oil level sensor is
http://www.megazip.net/zapchasti-dlya-motocyklov/yamaha/dt230-10075/dt230-23057/4tp1-719464/electrical-parts-11306998

the part in question is no 8 and (I was correct) it IS the same as my DT200WR one

Cheers, Fanis

Offline Lozinoz

• Yama-Pupil
Re: leaky Oil tank on dt230?
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 09:27:59 PM »
Thanks Fanis.

I ended up removing and cleaning level, and put an o-ring under guage. So far no leaking!