Author Topic: New 1W4 CDI  (Read 3205 times)

Offline DynoTronix

• Yama-Hero
    • DynoTronix
Re: New 1W4 CDI
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2017, 06:22:01 AM »
Update:

HI guys,

Well, I decided to go with the proto 2 circuit design.  It produces a good deal more voltage than the OEM configuration, has a cleaner spark discharge, and it seems like it ran great on Fred's video.  I just potted six boxes, so they should be ready to go in a couple of days. 

I was wondering if anyone has a 1977/78 DT250 or DT400?  It looks like the 1W4 CDI might work on those bikes too.  If you have one of those bikes, and would like to do some testing, please let me know.  With any luck, maybe someone has one of these bikes and lives close to Fred, then they could borrow prototype #2 and give it a try. ;D

Regards,

Bill

Offline harko

• Yama-God
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2017, 08:11:13 AM »
Great stuff Bill.

Harko
Harko

Offline DynoTronix

• Yama-Hero
    • DynoTronix
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2017, 10:22:00 AM »
Update:

The CDI-1W4 is ready and up on our website.  Thanks to all, especially Fred, for your help with this effort.

Regards,

Bill

Offline fred99999au

• Yama-God
« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2017, 10:14:22 PM »
Smallish update here.

I pulled the bike down after it failed to chooch at the end of the videos. 3 of the reed cage crews had loosened allowing the reeds to unseal. I reckon this was the cause of it stopping, as it copped a fair flogging from my test rider.

Bloody luckily, nothing fell out and was ingested. So I measured the piston at 67.35 from memory, and the bore at 67.58. Should be 0.08 clearance on a 67.5 mm bore which is the second last oversize. Well over.

Ring and gap could just about be measured with a  tape measure.

Then I found the big end noisy. I knew there was a knock in there but was hoping it was piston rock. Nup.

Split the cases, replaced the bearings, got the crank done with a new pin, thrust washers, rod and bearings, rebore and new piston and then started to put it together about lunchtime last Saturday, in preparation for Beaufort Sunday.

Kicked it four times about 9pm Saturday night using prototype CDI1, dressed the bike and went to bed.

Left about 6am Sunday to go to Beaufort Vinduro, and miraculously despite me being last to arrive, we got there before the riders briefing.

I did one lap with prototype CDI1 and despite being a little lean, the bike performed flawlessly.

So, will need to continue frigging with the jetting, but reliability wise, it remains as reliable as a woodburing stove.

I washed it on the way home, couple of kicks and still golden. Should have put prototype 2 on it, but I just ran what was on it.

I did notice that the front wheel seemed a lot lighter than before. Maybe just rings and fresh top end, but Wheelbarrow reckoned in one small section I re-lived my inner sixteen year old. And that was great fun.

Offline DynoTronix

• Yama-Hero
    • DynoTronix
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2017, 11:03:20 PM »
Thanks for the update, Fred.  Any photos of you in action at the Vinduro?

Bill

Offline fred99999au

• Yama-God
« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2017, 07:59:15 AM »
No photos, Bill. Not that I've seen yet, anyway. 70km for a loop so there is a possibility of photos, but I didn't see any photographers.

Offline mboddy

• Yama-God
    • Vinduro Penrite Team
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2017, 10:15:12 AM »
... 1977/78 DT250 or DT400?  It looks like the 1W4 CDI might work on those bikes too.

Here is a cross reference of ignition components for D and E models that MIGHT be able to use this 1W4 CDI.
Bill - can you please confirm why you think your 1W4 CDI is a good replacement for the IT400D/E 1W6 CDI.
I don't just want to know that it runs. I race mine and want to know that I can use it on my race bike without an issue.

Vinduro Penrite Team
1980 IT125G, 1979 IT175F, 1984 IT200L, 1977 IT250D and IT400D

Offline DynoTronix

• Yama-Hero
    • DynoTronix
« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2017, 12:09:54 PM »
Here is a cross reference of ignition components for D and E models that MIGHT be able to use this 1W4 CDI.
Bill - can you please confirm why you think your 1W4 CDI is a good replacement for the IT400D/E 1W6 CDI.
I don't just want to know that it runs. I race mine and want to know that I can use it on my race bike without an issue.

I haven't dissected a 1W6 CDI, so I don't know what the differences are.  Based on my research, I believe the 1W4 is a good replacement for the 1W6.  However, I don't have an IT400D/E to try it on.  If I can get a hold of a 1W6 CDI, I can run a comparison on my test engine to see if there are any differences.

Do you live near Fred?  If so, maybe you can borrow one of the prototypes I sent him to see what the performance is like.

If for some reason they are different, I can always make a 1W6, just need a donor unit first to gather all of the necessary voltage and timing stats.

I will try to help any way I can.

Bill

Offline mboddy

• Yama-God
    • Vinduro Penrite Team
« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2017, 01:11:31 PM »
Thanks Bill
I will see what I can get hold of for you. I would rather you run it on your test bench first.
The race bike is a dirt tracker with pipe, porting, high compression and big carby and runs full throttle most of the time.
So I don't want it to go bang.
Mark   
Vinduro Penrite Team
1980 IT125G, 1979 IT175F, 1984 IT200L, 1977 IT250D and IT400D