Author Topic: New 23X CDI  (Read 2642 times)

Online DynoTronix

• Yama-Hero
    • DynoTronix
Re: New 23X CDI
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2016, 03:46:20 AM »
What is the collective name for a number of 23X CDI's ?

A clutch, a swarm, a shoal ?

Whatever, thanks for your time and efforts in keeping these old bikes moving !

Cheers,

Dave R.

The correct name is "Excess Inventory". ;D

Any suggestions for the next CDI development, Dave?

Regards,

Bill

Offline fred99999au

• Yama-God
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2016, 09:24:17 AM »
Perhaps a timing of CDIs?

Offline Jonnycakes

• Yama-Pupil
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2016, 02:09:12 AM »
I guess by enhancements you mean a change to the timing curve.  The short answer is no, I don’t plan any change to the timing.  However, this does need some explaining, since you asked the question. 
For my explanation, keep in mind that I am not using any microprocessors, these are purely analog CDI boxes intended to be OEM replacements.
The spark advance, 0° and up, is not controlled by the CDI, but by the physics of the magneto (rotor) spinning past the pickup coil.  As the engine speed increases the rise-time of the trigger pulse (dV/dt) increases until it reaches the limits of the rotor and stator combination being used.  For example, the IT490K/L (which uses the 2W6 CDI) starts off at 0° @ 250 rpm and increases to 18° @ 2000 rpm, at which point it levels off.  The same CDI is also used on the IT175 series, which I believe only advances to 4°, (pulling this from memory, so don’t hold me to this number).  The point is that the CDI doesn’t control the advance, but the rotor and stator combination does.
With all that said, the CDI can be designed to retard the timing above a certain rpm, like the IT250H/J.  For that CDI the timing begins to retarded between 6000 and 7000 rpm.  But keep in mind that CDI is designed to work on only one particular engine.  Since the 23X is used by so many different bikes, any attempt to retard the timing would have varying affects on the different rotor stator combinations.  So a separate CDI would have to be created for each one.  But again, that’s analog.  Of course a microprocessor based CDI could be programmable to work with all the different models.  But for now I’m just focusing on OEM replacements.
There is one enhancement.  For the designs I have completed so far, I have been able to increase the CDI output voltage from around 5 to 10% over the OEM versions.  I accomplish this through magic and sorcery. ;D  The other explanation is that I actually select very high quality electronic components to try and squeeze every bit of performance I can out of these CDIs.  Choose which one you want to believe. ;)

Best regards,

Bill

I just bought a IT490L and am street riding it for only a week, but yesterday i only made it a 1/2 block and it died.  No love last night (well a nicely bruised leg).  This morning a fresh plug and Big Blue was up and running, my question is....do you think, (or test) if the extra energy from your CDI would foul less plugs or even fire through a dirty plug? 

Jonnycakes

Online DynoTronix

• Yama-Hero
    • DynoTronix
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2016, 03:36:51 AM »
I just bought a IT490L and am street riding it for only a week, but yesterday i only made it a 1/2 block and it died.  No love last night (well a nicely bruised leg).  This morning a fresh plug and Big Blue was up and running, my question is....do you think, (or test) if the extra energy from your CDI would foul less plugs or even fire through a dirty plug? 

Jonnycakes

That's a tough question.  I would like to say yes and sell you a new CDI, but I’m not like that. 

There are a lot of things that can cause a weak spark.  Even with more voltage from the CDI, it’s possible that the coil itself is defective (maybe a shorted winding) resulting in a weaker spark.  The source coil could be defective, and not producing the voltage it should to charge the CDI capacitor.  The magnets in the flywheel could be weak, also resulting in a low voltage condition.  And of course the CDI itself could be defective. 

I could list several more causes of a weak spark, but you get the idea. 

It is possible that our CDI could help, especially if your CDI is bad or weak to begin with.   I just can’t make a conclusive claim that it will.

Regards,

Bill

Offline map351

• Yama-Hero
    • My Bikes.
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2016, 04:33:26 AM »
Bill,The YZ/WR/IT was doing the same thing you fixed the CDI that's what started all the CDI manufacturing.

Mike
85 iT 200
94 YZ 250
1982 Honda CR 480
1977 OSSA GP3 (2)
1976 OSSA GP2 (2)
1975 OSSA GP1
1975 OSSA 250 Desert
1976 OSSA 350 Mountaineer
1977 OSSA 250 Super Pioneer
1975 OSSA 250 Super Pioneer
1975 250 Phantom (2)

Online DynoTronix

• Yama-Hero
    • DynoTronix
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2016, 04:55:44 AM »
Thanks, Mike, I forgot about that.  You certainly know first-hand that a flaky CDI can cause all kinds of problems. 

Bill

Offline sjsingle1

• Yama-Idol
« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2016, 10:44:19 AM »
great you got these things ! now....can we discuss coils ???

Online DynoTronix

• Yama-Hero
    • DynoTronix
« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2016, 10:49:10 AM »
great you got these things ! now....can we discuss coils ???

What do you want to discuss?

Offline fred99999au

• Yama-God
« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2016, 04:23:37 PM »
Plenty cheap coils on feebay. Yes, they are made out of Chineseium, but they seem to have held up on my 400.

Offline Bigshorts

• Yama-God
« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2016, 08:19:55 PM »

And they come with prawn crackers.. Free!!  Free I tell you
When someone hands you a flyer, its like they are saying Here, you throw this away.

IT200 IT490 WR2500 IT175G x2  Ariel Red Hunter .. lots of parts unknown