Author Topic: So while I was keeping my eye open for a nice 175, I found this....  (Read 6147 times)

Offline Andymann

• Yama-Legend
Re: So while I was keeping my eye open for a nice 175, I found this....
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2016, 05:29:53 PM »
Ok guys I need some help please - this part is no longer available new, and I'm guessing if your chain comes off it is the first thing which gets trashed because there are no used ones in South Africa anywhere!

So..... I do have mates in Perth who are coming out to SA in December so if there is anyone who has one to sell on your side of the pond, I will gladly pay for postage to Perth! Its not a big part, but dammit, now that I know it's missing, I sticks out like a sore thumb!

Offline mikeyvet

• Yama-Idol
  • Moss Vale Australia
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2016, 12:56:34 PM »
Is that Perth Australia or Perth Scotland?

I don't think we got that DT125 here in Australia, or at least I've never seen one here.

I thought your bike was looking pretty good, but now whenever I look at it all I can see is the missing chainguard.

One of my DT175's had a big chunk missing off the front of the chainguard, I made up a new piece from a plastic bucket and pop riveted it on. Looks fine so long as you don't look at the left side of the bike.

Offline Andymann

• Yama-Legend
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2016, 05:34:31 PM »
When I was still at School I had to solve a particular maths problem and I remember I went about solving it using a whole bunch of methods before I got to the answer.  The maths teacher said to me, "Mr Robertson, what you have done there is just killed a fly using a machine gun - effective, but not very efficient"

I'm afraid I have just killed another fly with a machine gun.  I have my missing chainguard.  It's still attached to the rest of a bike though.....

Offline Andymann

• Yama-Legend
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2016, 05:40:53 PM »
And boy oh boy.  Do I have a gem for you guys.  I don't have pictures (yet), but when I take some this evening and post them, I challenge anyone to show me a worse case of clutch abuse....

Lets just say one of the previous owners liked to weld......

Offline 2fITy.J

• Yama-God
  • To get ahead, it's one down, five up!
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2016, 05:44:46 PM »
Must confess, I've killed a few flies in my time.

No clutches though.....  :D :D
A bike in the bush is worth two in the shed!

BMW-BSA-Ducati-Honda-Kawasaki-Lambretta-Matchless-Norton-Suzuki-Triumph-Vespa-Yamaha.

Dirty Dozen '13 DR650SE - '90 DR650RS - '82 IT465J - '82 IT250J - '80 GT80G - '77 A100B - '76 DT100C - '76 TC125 - '75 TM75 - '73 MX80 -       '73 TC100K - '69 TC120-1

Offline wayne61

• Yama-God
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2016, 03:57:19 AM »
It's still attached to the rest of a bike though...

Steam clean.
Seat cover.
Good as new
 ;D
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

GRIP AND RIP CRAIG AND CHRISSO!!!

Offline Andymann

• Yama-Legend
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2016, 05:47:50 PM »
So if you will recall I had an issue with the crank on my original White bike.  So I was always keeping an eye open for a spare one just in case.  When this black bike was listed, and it had the chainguard in place, it was also listed as "Runs well, but the clutch needs attention" - so I figured, bonus - I have my missing chainguard, the engine runs, and a new cable with the clutch adjusted properly, (worst case new plates), and I would have a spare motor. 

This, in South African speak, is what it means when they say "Clutch needs attention"  :o

Offline Andymann

• Yama-Legend
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2016, 05:55:39 PM »
So, a few questions.
How the hell do you break off the end of the main axle shaft????
You have to love the home-made plate in pic 3 to take up the clearance.  Looks like they used wood....
Let's just weld the Clutch basket to the mainshaft shall we.

There, I fixed it.  Engine runs.......

Offline 2fITy.J

• Yama-God
  • To get ahead, it's one down, five up!
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2016, 06:29:33 PM »
Deja Vu.......on this forum....not sure if it was IT or DT.....but yeah, the shaft end sheared off, however, no repair ensued.....  :D :D :D

A farmer's fix. I think it proves one thing....S. African farmers are the same as Aussie and Kiwi farmer's....but due to the earth's rotation, are a little behind.

Cheers,
Chris.
A bike in the bush is worth two in the shed!

BMW-BSA-Ducati-Honda-Kawasaki-Lambretta-Matchless-Norton-Suzuki-Triumph-Vespa-Yamaha.

Dirty Dozen '13 DR650SE - '90 DR650RS - '82 IT465J - '82 IT250J - '80 GT80G - '77 A100B - '76 DT100C - '76 TC125 - '75 TM75 - '73 MX80 -       '73 TC100K - '69 TC120-1

Offline Andymann

• Yama-Legend
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2016, 06:44:38 PM »
Bwahahaha - I think they are the same all over the world.  Give them a welder, some wire and a roll of Duct tape and they will fix anything....