Author Topic: So while I was keeping my eye open for a nice 175, I found this....  (Read 6156 times)

Offline Andymann

• Yama-Legend
I couldn't just let it lie there!  All complete, and licence is up to date....

Offline McPaavola

• Yama-Legend
Mk1 DT125LC. Nice one!
"There are two kinds of motorcycles. Yamahas and almost Yamahas"
DT200WR '94 | YZ125K '83 | YZ125L '84 enduro | TZR250 '90 | RD125LC '86

Offline Andymann

• Yama-Legend
I thought so.  Not as rare in South Africa as the 200R - most teenagers moved up from the DT50 to the DT125LC and then went onto big 4-strokes, and not as collectable as the 125/175E's but still it's in such original condition, and hasn't been abused that I thought its really worth saving!

Offline fred99999au

• Yama-God
Good score. Prolly just needs a clean of the golf balls and some new sandals and you'll be away. Oh, and a seat.

And maybe replace the golf balls with a carby.

Offline 2fITy.J

• Yama-God
  • To get ahead, it's one down, five up!
Yep, agree....but I'm wonderin' where the hell half the tread blocks have gone from the front tyre.  ??? ???

Better check my old stock for loose or floppy knobs!
A bike in the bush is worth two in the shed!

BMW-BSA-Ducati-Honda-Kawasaki-Lambretta-Matchless-Norton-Suzuki-Triumph-Vespa-Yamaha.

Dirty Dozen '13 DR650SE - '90 DR650RS - '82 IT465J - '82 IT250J - '80 GT80G - '77 A100B - '76 DT100C - '76 TC125 - '75 TM75 - '73 MX80 -       '73 TC100K - '69 TC120-1

Offline enduras_wr200

• Yama-God
  • Heavy Metal is the Law!
   That's a nice start! Are all the parts there? I can see the seat lying on the bench, what about the side panels and the headlight? Are you  going for a full bike resto, like the one you did on the DT200R, or something easier (and cheaper) like a clean/repair/set up/ride? In any case, I can see a seat right here, I'll sit down and enjoy this thread!  ;) 8)

Cheers, Fanis

Offline Andymann

• Yama-Legend
Its all there and accounted for - panels, seat, light, carb (x2) - the owner said he had a problem with the carb so he stripped it - and then bought a replacement.

Anyway, I doubt if I will go the 200R route - I bought the 200R to have some fun on, and then when I found out they were so rare in SA I haven't ridden it.  So I reckon the 125 will now become the fun bike.

But there were loads here, and very popular, so Bosson made some nice aftermarket pipes.  That will have to happen.  With a look at the ports.....

And maybe a disk brake front conversion too.....

Offline Andymann

• Yama-Legend
Re: So while I was keeping my eye open for a nice 175, I found this....
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2016, 10:52:28 PM »
A month later and I yesterday finally managed to make the 2h30 trip to a small farming town in the East of South Africa to collect the DT.  It was a bit different to the pictures the guy sent me (aren't they always!), but I figured I was there anyway (and I had paid a deposit), so after a bit of haggling I decided to load it up.

It's actually a very honest bike - but has the oddest things missing from it and a few things which are way out of character.  Bits of it, like the motor, seem as if they have had a very easy life since 1981 (its a 22E model) - the clock only reads 11000km, and no-one has taken a dodgy screwdriver to any of the cases, and it looks like the head has never been off, so it could well be genuine.  But then the swingarm bushes are so worn the side to side movement has got to be close to 1cm. And the head bearings are notchy.  And while the rear tyre looks to be the original, the front is that dodgy half slick knobbly thing that looks like it's done 111000km.

Then there are the scratches.  Or lack there-of.  Nothing on the footpegs, exhaust or wheel axles which point to the bike never having been dropped.  Yet everything bears the patina of being the original parts from 1981.  But the front fairing is smashed.  Like someone has taken a hammer to it.  And who takes off a sidestand and loses it - hell it's a pain in the ar_e getting those things off without shooting yourself in the mouth with the spring.  And even more so not being able to park the bike anywhere!

Anyway, I this weekend I'll give it a good clean, put everything back together, dump some oil down the cylinder and see if it will fire.  If it runs, I'll think about restoring it.  if the motor is toast, I guess I'll have to break it up for parts.  That would be a pity, so hope it's good!

Offline Andymann

• Yama-Legend
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2016, 03:39:55 PM »
I've really got to stop buying bikes where half of the parts are discontinued!

Offline 2fITy.J

• Yama-God
  • To get ahead, it's one down, five up!
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2016, 04:45:37 PM »
I've really got to stop buying bikes where half of the parts are discontinued!

Well...there is the dark side I suppose.....I've dabbled.....but only one inna dozen!!
A bike in the bush is worth two in the shed!

BMW-BSA-Ducati-Honda-Kawasaki-Lambretta-Matchless-Norton-Suzuki-Triumph-Vespa-Yamaha.

Dirty Dozen '13 DR650SE - '90 DR650RS - '82 IT465J - '82 IT250J - '80 GT80G - '77 A100B - '76 DT100C - '76 TC125 - '75 TM75 - '73 MX80 -       '73 TC100K - '69 TC120-1