Author Topic: Yamaha DT180 Brazil spec kickstart  (Read 707 times)

Offline Don_46

• Yama-Cheese
Yamaha DT180 Brazil spec kickstart
« on: February 02, 2016, 10:01:04 PM »
Hi all. I was wondering if anyone has any good footage or write up on how to get kick start in right. Had to replace clutch cover on bike (bought it cracked). 4/10 times it kicks properly but seems to slip others, completely free play. All gears etc look fine and I think I'm doing spring right but its not stiff so perhaps I'm not. A step by step with pics or a video from probably any DT would help. Mine is 1992 year. Thanks in advance.

Offline Martin I Henry

• Yama-God
  • Europe
    • Dave's Bikes
Re: Yamaha DT180 Brazil spec kickstart
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 06:56:14 AM »
As far as I can tell, the DT180 engine is the same as the RT180, so........

Here is a photo of an RT180 kickstart mechanism next to a 1978 IT175E mech:

Therefore the fitting procedure should be the same !

I'll see what the manual says... If anything !

Cheers,

Dave R.

Offline Martin I Henry

• Yama-God
  • Europe
    • Dave's Bikes
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 07:20:12 AM »
Taken from the 1980 IT125G manual. ( Pretty much the same as the IT175E )

Cheers,

Dave R.

Offline Andymann

• Yama-Legend
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 05:32:58 PM »
If I remember correctly, there is a thrust face on the back of the clutch cover that bears on the plastic bush of the kickstart, to keep the end-float correct.  Maybe check and see that if with the welding repair, something hasn't gone amiss there.

It's quite a positive mechanism, in that when you rotate the shaft anti-clockwise, the gear will automatically slide forward on the shaft, bear up against the plastic bush and align with the idler.  It's either moving past the idler gear completely which would point to my question above, or someone has fitted a different kickstart mechanism.  Or the plastic bush is worn.

A quick question though - is it definitely the kickstart slipping, or could it be that the clutch is slipping?