Author Topic: Bad day in the shed...again!  (Read 1044 times)

Offline 2fITy.J

• Yama-God
  • To get ahead, it's one down, five up!
Bad day in the shed...again!
« on: October 15, 2015, 09:15:34 PM »
Don't ya' hate it when ya' bypass/overlook....okay, forget...your own advice, like doing the jetting...(D'Oh!...the plug gap)

Had three goes at spray gelcoating a dozen or so fibreglass moulds...but three things are different than the last time I sprayed.

1. It's about twice the ambient temperature.
2. The gelcoat is winter grade - when optimum catalyst levels are below 15c.
3. I have a brand new spraygun, totally different style to what I've been used to for 15 years.

The three amigos...the three goes were very time consumming, not to mention wasteful.

First crack I had barely finished my "test pattern" on the wall when I knew it was gelling. That required a frantic disassemble and very messy cleanup.

Even some brush work later that weekend, with that knowledge I had gained, nearly brought me undone again. It's real quick!

Second attempt I had only got a first pass on and ran out of material...this new gun's pot is only .6 litre....  :o

By the time I gave it a quick rinse (knowing the contracted time available) and mixed a new half pot batch, the first application was skinning already (top surface starting to gel)...when I sprayed fresh catalysed gelcoat onto the areas where I needed to get more coverage it started triping...or wrinkling, tearing the first coat underneath.

So that had to gel hard and then blown off with air. This then needs a fresh clean of the moulds and a good wax on - wax off episode.

Then I had an epithany...and remembered my "own advice".  :D :D

Decanted 900mil into a milk carton and stuck it in the freezer to chill...sat down and watched some Bathurst. The mid thirties temps for a few days has warmed up the factory (and contents).....can't feasibly cool all the moulds, but this should get me through like it has before.....  :P

Got through the third attempt successfully. Has nothing to do with "third time lucky" though.....  :D

So......

But. They always need a touch up after spraying as some areas are just plain hard to aim the gun at without flooding another area...but this became more than the norm.

My spray was overall too thin, where I knew I had to get a good coat was mostly good, but some areas were desperate for more. Chalked out where I needed to brush and set to it.

And that caught me...I had to really slop it on before it started going off on me....I dropped the catalyst level down below 1% and it was only 18c at the time...but still the dam stuff is just too quick.

AND, I missed areas. It needs another go in several places and one part needs blowing out and respraying as the back-up with brush coat wrinkled the light coat underneath.

And then there's this.....  ::)

When I started off on these sidecover and rear guard projects it seemed that I would be making a dozen or so parts and then maybe a trickle after that.

Moulds were all made from materials that would well handle the relative abuse....certainly not top dollar tooling mould materials but what is oft' used for small production numbers. There was also the task of redressing the moulds when made to be rid of some imperfections...this is a lot easier with diluted tooling strength materials.

However, I would estimate that figure that "seemed right" was about 90% shy of the mark.  :o :o :o

Aside from the deterioratibg mould surfaces, there have been some spills, some unforseen problems arise...and some plain bad luck wtf moments....  >:(

Sharp corners have pulled off when demoulding.....

This corner broke off before ten parts had even been made....now the whole edge needs building up between the top and bottom blue patches...

This corner needs work before and after each time....

The airbox internals, although not a cosmetic issue, do need a lot of work as these missing undercut pieces deny de-moulding.....

These chips grow......and grow!

The latest two pieces to taste freedom.....  ::) :P

They have to be filled each time with plasticene and waxed, these are like potholes and only get bigger if not repaired by grinding out a hole and refilling with material and bring back up to a polished and then waxed finish. But matching density at this stage of their lives is dubious at best....repairs inevitably shrink over the ensuing months.

Consequently the finish of most of the part needs remedial wet rubbing prior to just a polish. My arms and shoulders dictate I can only spend 30 minutes doing that now....or nearly two parts.

Getting summer grade product at the end of the month will certainly help things!

...but I feel a Restraining Order coming on.....

Cheers,
Chris.
A bike in the bush is worth two in the shed!

BMW-BSA-Ducati-Honda-Kawasaki-Lambretta-Matchless-Norton-Suzuki-Triumph-Vespa-Yamaha.

Dirty Dozen '13 DR650SE - '90 DR650RS - '82 IT465J - '82 IT250J - '80 GT80G - '77 A100B - '76 DT100C - '76 TC125 - '75 TM75 - '73 MX80 -       '73 TC100K - '69 TC120-1

Offline F.Gassit

• Yama-God
Re: Bad day in the shed...again!
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 03:09:46 PM »
The wrong person just read all that.

I used to do my own board repairs, and those of everyone in the neighbourhood.

When needs must, I have been known (on my own board) to throw sooooo much hardener into the mix, that it was making crackling noises, could not be touched due to the heat, and smelt like Nan was getting her hair permed.....

Not very often, but if the waves were on, and I had damage that needed repairing...... well, f__k it.... I know how to speed this process up !!  :D

Clear mix.....set almost mission brown....... that's how much hardener and heat were going on......

;) :D
IT 175 F
TE 300
GR71D......nearly.....should be here in June.....currently taking up the only available space left at a property in Dubbvegas......

Offline 2fITy.J

• Yama-God
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2015, 04:48:28 PM »
"Cracklin' Rose"

1kg resin @ 5% generally sets of an exotherm that boils 5 litres of water or ruins the container used....  :D

BMW-BSA-Ducati-Honda-Kawasaki-Lambretta-Matchless-Norton-Suzuki-Triumph-Vespa-Yamaha.

Dirty Dozen '13 DR650SE - '90 DR650RS - '82 IT465J - '82 IT250J - '80 GT80G - '77 A100B - '76 DT100C - '76 TC125 - '75 TM75 - '73 MX80 -       '73 TC100K - '69 TC120-1

Offline F.Gassit

• Yama-God
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2015, 05:41:38 PM »
Fucknsmokewascomin'offit....... :D :D :D.
IT 175 F
TE 300
GR71D......nearly.....should be here in June.....currently taking up the only available space left at a property in Dubbvegas......

Offline 2fITy.J

• Yama-God
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2015, 06:24:34 PM »
Yer...that's the carcinogenic aspect to it all...  :o

Offline 2fITy.J

• Yama-God
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2015, 02:53:29 PM »
one part needs blowing out and respraying as the back-up with brush coat wrinkled the light coat underneath.

::) Remembered as I was laminating this mould that it had triped on the first coat, still, I finished it off and will build another.

Here's the resulting wrinkled finish where it has "triped".......  >:(

I will most likely repair it in due course but it can live in the shelves for the time being - meaning slowly getting pushed to the back out of sight where it can be forgotten about.

Cheers,
Chris.

Offline 2fITy.J

• Yama-God
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2015, 05:55:11 PM »
Leading up to mickey's first set, the K/L rear guard looked like this, which I'd been waxing diligently for many months after each part out.....  8)

There was a slight bit of colour on mickey's first part which had me give it a double wax but, as luck would have it, the second part out tore great chunks off....  :o :o

Bear in mind, the images are reversed, flipped and moulds are mirrored....  :D :D ....to each other so the smaller mould damage got waaay bigger!

Remnants picked off the part okay, no problem there but for the next two parts (last of orders) out I won't be plasticining the sections missing as it will collapse...so it has to be well waxed instead.

Nearly there.  ;D

Offline SteadyT120

• Yama-God
  • YZ465 Airtime
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2015, 06:54:02 PM »
A run of "factory seconds" on the market place....maybe  ::)
My Yamahas, IT250H, IT250J, IT200L, YZ465G, TT350, XS1100(& sidecar), RD400, YZ80H, YZ50, PW80, WR250FJ, TTR230

Offline 2fITy.J

• Yama-God
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2015, 07:13:25 PM »
No I don't think so, this is pretty much the end of these fibreglass projects for the foreseable future. Only have two orders of the H and J and two of the K and L sets to gelcoat and produce.

The "damage" is within the confines of the light and has no effect. You can see in the above pic there is already a "damage" lump evident top left corner...now it will be more symmetrical....  :D :D

Cheers,
Chris.

PS: I did a load of factory seconds a while back with 50% back into the forum but I only have a couple or three dodgey's here atm. Hand to hand trade bait for them.....  ;)