Author Topic: DT250E  (Read 709 times)

Offline ITXTer

• Yama-Rookie
DT250E
« on: July 26, 2015, 10:12:28 PM »
Got this old machine a while ago, very rough and rusty. Photo's make it look better than it does. Seeing it's pretty sad I was thinking of just lightning it off, putting some knobbies on and riding it. Has 12,000 K's on the speedo, I think it's pretty right. Engine is still tight and quiet, sprockets are worn as is the rear tyre so that would all add up to be original K's.

I have an IT250 and an XT500 the same year, all are pretty rough.
The older I get the better I used to be

Offline dont

• Yama-Idol
Re: DT250E
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 10:51:09 AM »
I'd love to know how it rides in the bush compared to one of the older double shocker 250s.
What goes up must come down, unless you broke a 'rod 😞

Offline ITXTer

• Yama-Rookie
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 12:05:23 PM »
Different bike, I used to have a few DT's back in the olden days, 250's and 360's. This is a completely different bike to ride. You can still feel a similarity with the engine power and tractability, it feels like a DT2 but better. As for comparing handling you can't really, it has the same stable feel to it but will change direction quicker without being twitchy. This machine will make a good back roads cruiser, as well as being pretty good in the bush. We have a Rec rego here in Victoria, you can use the bike on public roads/reserves but not on major highways or in towns, I might go that way with this old machine.

Offline dont

• Yama-Idol
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 05:27:28 PM »
Ohh bugger, I just added to my shopping list :)
What goes up must come down, unless you broke a 'rod 😞

Offline 2fITy.J

• Yama-God
  • To get ahead, it's one down, five up!
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 05:52:38 PM »
Can I see a little puff of 2t smoke.....or is it hopeful imagination?

One of my brothers had a '72-73 DT250 and for it's day was a pretty plush ride both on and off road...but there wasn't a great deal to compare it with and coupled my very limited riding experience it could have been crap. Fast forward a long time and I rode a mates DT400C which is in a monoshock '79 MX250 frame. It felt okay but seemed way too low and heavy. Great for the dirt roads and fire trails but loses it in tight rocky stuff. I have a twin shock 125 and well know it's limitations, mates 400 although having a monoshock swinger seems just as limited as the bro's old twin shock....maybe it's the lowness of the ergo's...or the extra weight.....dunno, mate is somewhat disappointed too and got himself a taller IT200.

I think if I lived in a country town I'd have a 70's DT for sure.

Cheers,
Chris.
A bike in the bush is worth two in the shed!

BMW-BSA-Ducati-Honda-Kawasaki-Lambretta-Matchless-Norton-Suzuki-Triumph-Vespa-Yamaha.

Dirty Dozen '13 DR650SE - '90 DR650RS - '82 IT465J - '82 IT250J - '80 GT80G - '77 A100B - '76 DT100C - '76 TC125 - '75 TM75 - '73 MX80 -       '73 TC100K - '69 TC120-1

Offline ITXTer

• Yama-Rookie
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 07:01:00 PM »
Taller doesn't necessarily mean better handling. I like the way the older bikes handle, lower C of G means easier change of direction. It's a very personal thing, can be a fashion thing as well. You can have ten foot tall suspension and have the power of an F1 car but there will always be some smart ar_e on a YZ 80 that will blast past you.
It's a state of mind thing, back in the olden days if you had a DT2 with a home made chamber and came middle of the field it was OK, as long as you beat the old fella on the Montessa. Most of us can't use our bikes to their full potential so just enjoy them for what they are.
If your doing nothing but motocross on tracks then maybe but for general bush use and trail/gravel road riding the likes of the later DT's are ideal.
And yes that is a wisp of two stroke smoke, was warming up for burn round the block. Hopefully got new chain and sprockets turning up in the next couple of days, goanna chuck on some knobbys and see how goes it.