Author Topic: JungkeBiker's IT250J build  (Read 9949 times)

Offline T.RexRacing

• Yama-Hero
Re: JungkeBiker's IT250J build
« Reply #90 on: May 19, 2019, 12:36:50 AM »
Your question sent me down a black hole seeking an answer. After 45 minutes of reading/watching everything I found says go ahead if the $$$$ i available. Old Huskys,Yamahas and Hondas.........doesn't matter they all report great results.
Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that you do it.
- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline JungleBiker

• Yama-Rookie
« Reply #91 on: May 19, 2019, 10:51:57 PM »
Your question sent me down a black hole seeking an answer. After 45 minutes of reading/watching everything I found says go ahead if the $$$$ i available. Old Huskys,Yamahas and Hondas.........doesn't matter they all report great results.

Yeah, I'll have to really exhaust my options before I'm willing to buy a new Smart Carb.  Hopefully the price will come down at some point in the not too distant future?

In the mean time, I've bought a used Lectron off eBay for experimentation purposes.  It was cheap.
--1982 Yamaha IT250J, was a wreck when I got it, now quite good!
--1967 Norton P11 (US project bike)
--1985 Armstrong MT500 (UK rider)
--1985 Honda XR600/628R (PNG daily rider)
-- lots of other junk spread across several US states and two big islands

Offline Cooky375

• Yama-Hero
« Reply #92 on: May 20, 2019, 02:22:34 PM »
I'm actually a fan of the VM carbs, and if you want that bit more put a UFO on the slide.

Offline JungleBiker

• Yama-Rookie
« Reply #93 on: May 21, 2019, 02:03:02 PM »

I've not given up on the original carb just yet, I'm only asking out of "idle" curiosity  (see what I did there?  hahahaha!).  That Lectron I bought may very well end up on some other project. 

Offline Bigusdickus

• Yama-Hero
« Reply #94 on: May 26, 2019, 05:32:03 AM »
Sorry for the confusion over the forks, what diameter are the ones you fitted and how are they performing.

Rich.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Offline JungleBiker

• Yama-Rookie
« Reply #95 on: May 26, 2019, 03:08:06 PM »
Sorry for the confusion over the forks, what diameter are the ones you fitted and how are they performing.

Rich.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

43mm diameter.  I was just reading a review on 1990's DR350's which described the fork as "soft" and the front brake as "indifferent".  I can't say for sure what weight oil is currently in the fork, but I suspect that it must be a little heavier than the original stuff.  It seems to work well, although the last time I had it out it occurred to me that it might be a good idea to crank up the spring preload and the dampening adjusters a couple notches as the rear seems a bit stiffer than the front.  On the fork I have, the spring preload adjuster is on the top and the dampening adjusters are on the very bottom of the fork leg, under a rubber cover.

I'm having no trouble at all with the front brake.  I mean, it's no GSXR or R1, but it was never meant to be.  And it's worlds better than the original single leading shoe drum.  Maybe it works better for me because I'm using a different master cylinder?  Or maybe it has a set of good quality, high friction brake pads in it?  Oh, I've also got a new braided stainless brake line--that surely can't hurt either.  I put them on a lot of my bikes and they do make a difference.

Offline JungleBiker

• Yama-Rookie
« Reply #96 on: June 13, 2019, 06:15:33 PM »
      So today I took finally got a chance to play around with the IT again--I've been unhappy with the carburetor, it's there and it's complete, but it shows a fair amount of wear and I've been having some trouble getting it dialed in.  So today I took out the well worn original carb and put in a very nice, shows-no-signs-of-wear carb that I saved off of a 1976 RM250 parts bike that I traded for YZ400C parts back in 1992 or so. It measures the same inside and outside diameters as the IT carb, but has different jetting, needle and slide cutaway.

It definitely runs better with the ex-RM carb, though starting it took a little getting used to, as I forgot that the RM carb has no idle stop.  But it definitely runs smoother in the mid range, now.  I feel like I need to advance the timing just a little and see if that will wake it up a bit.  I've also got new reeds coming for it, as the ones that are in there seem to be a little bit past their best.

At least I no longer feel like I have to be constantly accelerating just to get it run smoothly.

Offline JungleBiker

• Yama-Rookie
« Reply #97 on: June 16, 2019, 04:36:29 PM »

Finally put a new tire on the front, an IRC VE35 to match the VE33 I put on the back. 

And then, then I FINALLY got in a long-ish ride--about 25 km maybe?  All rough dirt road, but it's been sunny so at least it was all really dry.  This was the first time I've actually managed to get the engine good and hot, and I could feel it improving by the end oif the ride, I reckon it must be nearly broken in by now.  I wonder how many years it's been since it was run up to temperature?  At least 15, I'd guess.

Some previous owner had changed the final gearing to be a little taller (higher top speed), I suspect that I would like it better with stock gearing.  As the chain and sprockets are well worn, it won't be long before I get new ones on order.

Now that I've had a chance to ride it at speed on a rough track, I think I understand some of the complaints about the DR350 front end--it doesn't seem to react as quickly as it seems like it should.  I may yet switch to an RM front end. 

In spite of what I just said about the front end, the whole bike seemed to work really well in the high grass--I took it to a place where I ride sometimes, it's a 4x4 driving instruction course with all meter high kunai grass on ground that feels like it's been ploughed and then turned to stone in the middle.  Rough going on my XR600, much easier on the IT.  It's a good place to ride if you feel like polishing your boots and engine cases.

Not sure if it's because of the '76 RM250 carb or what, but my engine seems to like running at higher rpm's than a lot of the ones I see in other people's videos.  It feels almost like there's a second power band way up in rpm range.

The DynoTronix ignition continues to perform flawlessly. 

And my silencer still has a little hole in it that leaks crude oil all over rmy swing arm and rear wheel.  Still missing a lid for my airbox.  I wouldn't care except that I know that there will be people here who won't be able to resist reaching there and tearing bits of foam off of my filter.

Still need to figure out what I'm going to do about lights. Probably just a headlight and tail light for now.  Maybe later, far down the road I'll go ahead and bring it back up to ADR compliance.  I think I still have the battery box around somewhere.

Offline JungleBiker

• Yama-Rookie
« Reply #98 on: June 17, 2019, 09:08:47 AM »
       Finally took some pics of the DIY air filter cage.  I didn't try very hard on the welding; it's certainly strong enough as is and nobody can see it under the filter.  Also a couple pics of what it looks like right now:

http://photos.app.goo.gl/pUUZN6dAwMe2ZRGU6

http://photos.app.goo.gl/bEQLJTLADFSso7KaA

http://photos.app.goo.gl/6kvQ6wf4qeRfvTRP8

Offline Cooky375

• Yama-Hero
« Reply #99 on: June 19, 2019, 10:29:08 AM »
The filter cage came up well. How are you finding the safety seat?

I am still hoping you will consider going for a set of 98 rm250 forks. Mainly because I want to, but I would rather somebody else to be the guinea pig haha 😆