Author Topic: Any pro tips? (disassembly of shock from swingarm)  (Read 1274 times)

Offline Rookie

• Yama-Rookie
Any pro tips? (disassembly of shock from swingarm)
« on: March 24, 2015, 09:47:38 PM »
Well,

Work was cancelled again yesterday as the locale where I live is flirting with an all-time snowfall record.  523cm this winter, so far.  In the afternoon it turned into a nice day so I got on my snow shoes and with shovel in hand I set out to free my YZ100 from its icy crypt.  After 30 mins of shoveling, I got the door to the shed open and man-handled the chassis up and out into the sunshine.

So I started some disassembly last night.  The bike came apart surprisingly easily, I was expecting a seized swingarm axle only to have it slide out effortlessly.   Same for the wheel axles.  Everything looks to be in good useable condition.  There was only on area where I think I am going to have trouble.  The clevis pin for the shock to swingarm fastening point is stuck solid.  I have Dave R's extender kit to go in so it would be easier if this was apart, not to mention that there is some slop at this connecting point that I'd like to fix.

Looking at a parts diagram, the pin slide fits and is secured with a washer and cotter pin.  The washer and cotter pin are long gone and aren't needed due to the self-weld of the clevis pin.  I just wanted to take a poll to see of there was a trick?  Patience and heat?  I assume that the bushing at the end of the shock is rubber, so care is going to be required? 

Any and all ideas are welcome.

Kirk

Online 4V5

• Yama-God
Re: Any pro tips? (disassembly of shock from swingarm)
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 09:56:11 PM »
patience penetrating oil and a press.

IT465x4 IT400C IT175F YZ465G YZ250C YZ250WR XJ650G RD350LC RD250LCx5 DT175Nx3 TW200x2 DT200L DT200R RT3 RX100G GT80F YZ80L PW50J KH250B1 KZ250D1 PE175C TS250ER TS185ER AG175B AG100

Offline Tucson Rider

• Yama-Idol
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 01:07:36 PM »
2 of my 125's came apart with ease - one right now has the clevis pin frozen in it, as well as the stuck swing-arm bolt.  My other 2 clevis pins came straight out.  I didn't actually see any bearings or bushings, but there must be something in the shock. 

In any case, the clevis pin is held by nothing more than the cotter key and washer.  There's no special hidden pieces holding it - except rust, and maybe wear-grooves.  I've been soaking PB Blaster on mine for the past 2 days.  If it doesn't come out, I'm not sure what I'll do.  Probably cut the swing arm bolt so I can pull the whole thing off and soak it some more.  Or cut it out, too.  I'm getting tired right about now of rusted 125 bolts >:(

-Adam

Offline 2fITy.J

• Yama-God
  • To get ahead, it's one down, five up!
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 06:12:29 PM »
I got this out.....

http://www.yamahait.com.au/forum/index.php/topic,10110.msg89799.html#msg89799

Re-plated and back in service.

Cheers,
Chris.

A bike in the bush is worth two in the shed!

BMW-BSA-Ducati-Honda-Kawasaki-Lambretta-Matchless-Norton-Suzuki-Triumph-Vespa-Yamaha.

Dirty Dozen '13 DR650SE - '90 DR650RS - '82 IT465J - '82 IT250J - '80 GT80G - '77 A100B - '76 DT100C - '76 TC125 - '75 TM75 - '73 MX80 -       '73 TC100K - '69 TC120-1

Offline Rookie

• Yama-Rookie
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 10:29:42 PM »
I took my Bernzomatic torch and put a two arm puller on it with a receiver at the flanged end of the pin and wound it up for all I was worth and it wouldn't budge.  I dropped it off at the garage up the road and he popped it out in 2 minutes.  Lesson, always reach for a bigger hammer... ;) of bigger torch in this case.

On an interesting aside, I believe that my 1980 YZ100 to actually be a 1981...  Or at least the swingarm is an 81.  There is silver paint poking out behind the layers of rattle can black and more interestingly, there is no front chain tensioner/guide or mounting flanges.  Looking at PartZilla, these parts don't appear on the 1981 fiche.  I wonder why it was deleted? 

Dave R, any thoughts on this might effect the chain run after the 2" extension is added to the rear shock?   

Determining the origins of this bike is like solving a riddle.

Kirk

Offline Martin I Henry

• Yama-God
  • Europe
    • Dave's Bikes
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 11:26:05 PM »
Dave R, any thoughts on this might effect the chain run after the 2" extension is added to the rear shock?   

The chain run will cause the swinging arm pivot roller to wear at an increased rate and the chain will also need to be set a little more slack than normal to accommodate the increased movement.

Can't see you having any major issues.

Cheers,

Dave R.

Offline Tucson Rider

• Yama-Idol
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2015, 01:07:41 PM »
The chain run will cause the swinging arm pivot roller to wear at an increased rate

Maybe some thing is wrong with my rollers, or I'm missing something, but 2 of my IT125's (haven't taken the 3rd apart yet) have the rollers rolling directly around the swing arm.  The rollers themselves wear very little.  The swing arm metal is noticeably thinner where the roller spins around it.  Eventually, it's going to wear through.  

Strange they would omit it before a complete redesign for 82.   Hmmm.  Learn something new on here everyday.  Are there any cons to having a tensioner, besides having to replace the block every 30 years?

-Adam