Author Topic: Two IT175J  (Read 10724 times)

Offline MrHilux

• Yama-Hero
Re: Two IT175J
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2015, 08:38:50 PM »
Thanks for your help guys,

I have a few contacts here locally that I can try first but I will start looking for one or two.
Yes, I know what you mean as I too start to hyperventilate when I see blue and yellow.

Cheers!  :o

Offline z3149441

• Yama-Hero
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2015, 08:00:16 PM »
Wow! Thanks for the words of encouragement guys!!  :D

I was wondering if I was wasting my time, but thought that the 175 should be a good ride. Did ride the bike with the red seat many moons ago, but she was just about clapped out then and it was then ridden into the ground and left in the paddock for a couple of years after that.

Also thanks for the tips.

Have pulled them both down and it looks like they both have the same problems as mentioned in prior post. One of the funny things is the right hand side rear wheel bearing literally fell out of the hub when removing the back wheel on both the bikes and is very sloppy. Is this a common problem and whats a recommended fix for this? I am assuming that there will be many, but thinking that I could get an over sized bearing that would fit?

The bike with the gold rims are apparently off a yz125 and so are the forks and rear shock. The front forks are definitely different from the other bike, but not sure about the rear shock. Is it worth getting a rebuild on the rear shocks or is there some aftermarket version that is better or cheaper?

Cheers
Brad

IT465 - IT175 x 4

Offline MrHilux

• Yama-Hero
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2015, 11:24:07 PM »
No way you will be wasting your time.
As Tucson Rider said, they are are great bike to ride.
Availability of most parts for those models are good.
I think there is a special loctite bearing retainer you can apply for the wheel bearings.
Should be able to hit the ski jumps with the IT that has the YZ suspension.

Offline cabmkr

• Yama-Hero
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2015, 12:37:56 AM »
I am pretty sure the brake plate you are looking for is a rare bird as I think it was only available in 80/81YZ and 82 IT for the 465's The plate with the holder at 90 deg was for a few more years IT 83 and up and YZ 82 and up, till disks came in.

cabmkr 
Bikes.....Lost count!

Offline MrHilux

• Yama-Hero
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2015, 01:17:03 AM »
Yeh, it's going to be like finding a needle in a hay stack.  :'(

Offline cabmkr

• Yama-Hero
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2015, 01:24:00 AM »
You could use forks off of an IT250/490K and then use the 90 Deg plate.

BTW I cant wait to get into my IT175 projects myself

Cabmkr
Bikes.....Lost count!

Offline Tucson Rider

• Yama-Idol
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2015, 05:02:58 AM »
The only good thing about the needle-in-a-haystack hunt is that it's not absolutely necessary.  The normal brakes work OK, and then oneday, when you find that rarest of treasures, you'll get better brakes. ;D

One of my 175's also has a drive side wheel bearing that falls out under its own weight.  I have just been driving it the way it is, because there is not much wheel slop yet.  But I have a spare wheel I was planning on using when that wheel gets too sloppy.  Or take the wheel and bearing to a machine shop and have the bore out the hole in the hub and press in a spacer.  I'm thinking that should work.

The bike with the gold rims are apparently off a yz125 and so are the forks and rear shock. The front forks are definitely different from the other bike, but not sure about the rear shock. Is it worth getting a rebuild on the rear shocks or is there some aftermarket version that is better or cheaper?

I highly doubt you have a YZ shock in the bike, unless it was a YZ100 shock, which would have a softer (and visibly smaller) spring.  And it would be a little bit shorter.  Any other YZ shock I believe would be too long to fit.  One way to check would be to look on the shock for a compression adjustor.  YZ's had that.  Another thing to do would be check and see if it has the plastic guard around the shock shaft.  I don't think any YZ's had that cover under the spring. 

You can replace the seal on the stock 175 shock as far as I know, but if the shock body is very worn, there isn't much you can do.  I think that shock is similar to the IT200 - where you have to drill a hole in the shock seal and the circular clip holding the seal in, then pull the clip out the hold you drilled.  So if it's leaking oil, you should be able to fix that with a new shock seal.  Poor damping is harder to fix.  And so is a leaking reservoir.  I tried calling around but none of the big US suspension shops said they could help with a leaking reservoir on that shock.

YZ forks is entirely possible, though they might not even be a Yamaha.  Don't know how to ID unknown forks except trying to match pictures on the web.  It looks like 43mm forks in the pic - so who knows what they are off of.  According to boats.net, a lot of Yamaha's used the 175 wheel bearing, so lots wheels and axles could have worked.  I think it must be a 1980-1985 YZ 125 wheel simply because of right hand drive.  And 84-85 were Z-spokes.  So 80-83 would be my bet.  The 83 is a distinctively different (and better) hub design, so that would be easy to identify.

-Adam

http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/yamaha/Y-93306-20209-00.html

Offline z3149441

• Yama-Hero
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2015, 08:58:41 PM »
Thanks Adam for the info.

Will have a look at the suspension a bit closer and post some pictures of what I have. One thing that I have noticed on the "YZ" front forks is that the axle doesn't have a nut, the axle screws into the left hand fork down tube and the clamp on the right hand side stops it from coming loose.

With regards to the rear shocks, had a ring around some local people and not to many were all that keen at looking at them, if its the 250/465, no problem. Again will have a look at them and post some pictures, was a bit hard to test them as both have serious problems with the swing arm bearings!

Cheers
Brad
IT465 - IT175 x 4

Offline fred99999au

• Yama-God
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2015, 10:21:42 PM »
What is wrong with the shocks exactly? A bloke I have used down in springvale would have a go at anything I reckon. He does more roadrace stuff, bit he is pretty well equipped and seems to be honest.

Offline cabmkr

• Yama-Hero
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2015, 10:54:00 PM »
I haven't taken mine 175J shock apart yet but I do know the seal heads from a 77  IT175 IT250, IT400 are the same as 81YZ250 and 82IT250 81TT250. So I would expect that the 175 head would be the same.

Chris
Bikes.....Lost count!