Author Topic: Engine/frame numbers on WR250Z  (Read 1660 times)

Offline glen4

• Yama-Hero
Engine/frame numbers on WR250Z
« on: January 10, 2015, 04:49:01 AM »
I have just bought a 98 WR250Z to go along with my IT250, had a brand new one back in the day. Now I can't remember if the frame and engine number should match, does anyone know?

Offline 2fITy.J

• Yama-God
  • To get ahead, it's one down, five up!
Re: Engine/frame numbers on WR250Z
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 12:56:37 PM »
Every reference for Yammy frame/engine I have seen have shown same numbers.......unlike Suzuki  :o

Cheers,
Chris.
A bike in the bush is worth two in the shed!

BMW-BSA-Ducati-Honda-Kawasaki-Lambretta-Matchless-Norton-Suzuki-Triumph-Vespa-Yamaha.

Dirty Dozen '13 DR650SE - '90 DR650RS - '82 IT465J - '82 IT250J - '80 GT80G - '77 A100B - '76 DT100C - '76 TC125 - '75 TM75 - '73 MX80 -       '73 TC100K - '69 TC120-1

Offline EVO450

• Yama-Idol
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 08:23:17 PM »
Well done Glen. Got some pics for us?
2 wrongs don't make it right

Offline enduras_wr200

• Yama-God
  • Heavy Metal is the Law!
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 12:27:48 AM »
   Hi there Glen, congrats on the new bike. I don't know WR250Z s specific, but what i've seen in European dirt bikes is that usually they have a complete frame number, and engine number can be anything from just a prefix code to a complete matching or not number. i guess it has to do with frames being what is "registered" . WR250Zs if i remember correct didn't have significant changes in the frame, while engines did (minor, yet crucial to parts finding etc). Just what I 've seen, i'm not sure about OZ where I think you could register them for road use.

cheers, Fanis

Offline eyetee

• Yama-Legend
  • "IT seemed like a good idea at the time..."
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 01:55:19 AM »
G'day Glen, another congrats here on your WR, should make a nice pair!  ;) I've just got back from a new years break and it's kinda 1:30am here , but there's a ZK and a roughy ZE in the shed, so I'll have a look in the daylight and get back to you tomorrowtoday some time. By memory I think they were actually different  :o (both of them) but that was only from a vague passing glance when each bike was loaded on the trailer (was more concerned at the time with making sure the vins checked out). I think  the  prefix letters didn't correspond to the frame VIN in any way at all??... like Fanis has mentioned. However, the 98 has a solid history from new (3rd owner), so what ever numbers are on that motor, it came into Oz that way...

Cheers
Andrew

Oh, and as Evo mentioned... pics?  :D
dark blue, sky blue, white, yellow and some turtles...

Offline glen4

• Yama-Hero
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 07:23:07 AM »
Thanks guys, I will get some pics up at the weekend, however it is now in a thousand pieces all over the garage 😄, it seems pretty good in all the places that matter. Motor is getting new rod etc, mains, piston, frame away to be blasted, wheels to be rebuilt by talon (only an hour up the road from me)

Have two new FMF pipes that came with it, along with large tank as well as original, Rinaldi tuned barrel and head and original pieces. Lots to think about 😃😃😃

Promise pics by weekend

Offline glen4

• Yama-Hero
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 07:24:03 AM »
Back to my original question, it seems after 97 numbers didn't match, Google is your friend 😉

Offline eyetee

• Yama-Legend
  • "IT seemed like a good idea at the time..."
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2015, 06:48:44 PM »
Back to my original question, it seems after 97 numbers didn't match, Google is your friend 😉

Yep, looks like you found it!

The 98 doesn't match, not even close! The engine is 4SR-###... etc  which lines up with the YZ coding, but the VIN is all over the shop, even having a letter in second last spot! Would be interesting to see if post 98 YZ's are the same or just the WR's scored the alphabet soup ??

Interestingly, the poor old 93 'roughy' is matching numbers  :o  may have to re-access the long term plans for that one   :-\

The other thing is both engines have an asterisk within the coding, at different places... possibly to denote the WR box??  ???   

Thanks for asking the question and bringing it into the light, looking forward to the pics! (we don't mind sh_t all over the place  :D )

Cheers

Andrew

dark blue, sky blue, white, yellow and some turtles...

Offline Jim Archer

• Yama-Pupil
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2016, 06:42:16 PM »
My 98 numbers both start *4SR-026 ... then different, engine No 1 digit shorter. Mine originally imported via France I believe.

Jim
It's not so much a question of IF, more WHEN and how HARD.

Offline glen4

• Yama-Hero
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2016, 08:01:29 PM »
My 98 numbers both start *4SR-026 ... then different, engine No 1 digit shorter. Mine originally imported via France I believe.

Jim
Mine too Jim, frame number 4SR-026 on the frame but 4SR-0257 on the engine, however Yamaha UK have confirmed it is as supplied and a genuine WR.
I know this to be true as I have known of the bikes whereabouts since new.