Author Topic: So you think you can use a Blaster Piston??  (Read 4675 times)

Offline Zrt1200

• Yama-God
So you think you can use a Blaster Piston??
« on: August 02, 2014, 11:55:56 AM »
I have seen this posted before and i have even thought about a blaster piston in a IT200. Well My 86 IT200 had a Blaster piston in it for the last two years. I bought the bike like this not knowing it was in there and for the life of me I dont know how it did not catch a ring in a transfer port.. What did end up happening was the cir clip came out. It should have busted a ring or ring land on the piston years before though. In the pics you will see where the ring end gaps are marked out and where they fit in the cylinder. Another thing you will see is the Blaster piston has a 1/2mm Higher dome height and a 3mm longer skirt lenght.

Here is a couple of pics of the blaster ring end gap location.

Now here is a pic of the correct Yamaha IT200 piston.

Now here is the pic of the Blaster, a Yamaha IT200 and a Wiseco IT200 piston. Notice the dome height and skirt length.

As you can see in the pics the Blaster piston will fit but it wont work with out problems. I am still in disbelief it did not snag a ring. Al
Current bikes, (82) IT465J, (85) IT200N, (05) GasGas 200, (11) DRZ400S, More photos can be found at.....

http://s582.photobucket.com/user/Zrt1107/library/dirt%20bikes?sort=3&page=1

Offline maxbo

• Yama-Legend
Re: So you think you can use a Blaster Piston??
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 04:38:13 PM »
What are ya' drawing on that piston in that last photo Al
Max

Offline stainlesscycle2

• Yama-Legend
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 05:15:48 PM »
What are ya' drawing on that piston in that last photo Al
Max

i believe he's drawing the intake port profile on the skirt of it.

i believe you could swap a whole blaster top end on the it, but don't know why you'd do that either, the blaster porting is very pedestrian stock.  and you'd need to do a ton of major port matching/modification on the intake side, and cut the piston skirt..

Offline Zrt1200

• Yama-God
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 09:53:42 PM »
i believe he's drawing the intake port profile on the skirt of it.

i believe you could swap a whole blaster top end on the it, but don't know why you'd do that either, the blaster porting is very pedestrian stock.  and you'd need to do a ton of major port matching/modification on the intake side, and cut the piston skirt..

Yup, I was drawing the intake ports on the piston. To bad I did not have the piston lined up at the time. :D

As far as using a blaster cylinder. Nope they wont work. If you look at a blaster base gasket it would take a ton of case modifying to so the transfer port lay out would fit correct. Then I am not sure if the stud pattern is correct.

Here is a blaster base gasket...

And here is the IT200 base gasket...

Now, If you did a 240 Big Bore you can use the Blaster big bore piston as the transfer ports are spread out wider. But you still need to recut the head.

Al
Current bikes, (82) IT465J, (85) IT200N, (05) GasGas 200, (11) DRZ400S, More photos can be found at.....

Offline Martin I Henry

• Yama-God
  • Europe
    • Dave's Bikes
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 05:18:49 AM »
Nice work Al.

Topic made ' sticky '.

Cheers,

Dave R.

Offline Zrt1200

• Yama-God
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 06:29:26 AM »
Nice work Al.

Topic made ' sticky '.

Cheers,

Dave R.

Thanks Dave, Now every one will know you cant use a Blaster piston and why!

Al

Offline fred99999au

• Yama-God
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2014, 07:39:11 AM »
Not so fast there gents.

I ordered a blaster piston for my 200 as they also come in more oversizes than the IT200. I didnt like where the ring ends were, so didnt try to fit it, but never got an answer as to whether it was possible to move the ring ends, either by grinding the old ones down flush then putting new ones in etc.

Port windows notwithstanding, is it possible to do this? My mate from the engineering workshop thinks it should be possible.

Offline 2fITy.J

• Yama-God
  • To get ahead, it's one down, five up!
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2014, 08:29:52 AM »
I have heard of ring stops being moved (was on an old 2t 500 roadie, can't recall the piston types sorry)...but there was an issue with internal ribbing on the piston he got as a replacement, pretty sure he had to get another alternative brand. The stops were punched back through and he redrilled the holes for an interference fit. I winced a little at the thought but apparently the bikes been on the road for a few years without issue.

Cheers,
Chris.

A bike in the bush is worth two in the shed!

BMW-BSA-Ducati-Honda-Kawasaki-Lambretta-Matchless-Norton-Suzuki-Triumph-Vespa-Yamaha.

Dirty Dozen '13 DR650SE - '90 DR650RS - '82 IT465J - '82 IT250J - '80 GT80G - '77 A100B - '76 DT100C - '76 TC125 - '75 TM75 - '73 MX80 -       '73 TC100K - '69 TC120-1

Offline stainlesscycle2

• Yama-Legend
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2014, 11:26:03 AM »
Yup, I was drawing the intake ports on the piston. To bad I did not have the piston lined up at the time. :D

As far as using a blaster cylinder. Nope they wont work. If you look at a blaster base gasket it would take a ton of case modifying to so the transfer port lay out would fit correct. Then I am not sure if the stud pattern is correct.

Here is a blaster base gasket...

And here is the IT200 base gasket...

Now, If you did a 240 Big Bore you can use the Blaster big bore piston as the transfer ports are spread out wider. But you still need to recut the head.

Al

stud pattern is correct - as i said the intake side is way different... it would take a lot of work.  you could use the blaster head and not have to cut it.   but overall it would be so much work for a negative performance gain.

Offline Bigshorts

• Yama-God
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2014, 12:15:02 PM »

Thanks for that Al, top work, I am in the same boat as Fred nines, got me a blaster pot (now for sale  ;D)

shorts
When someone hands you a flyer, it’s like they’re saying “Here, you throw this away.”

IT200 IT490 WR2500 IT175G x2  Ariel Red Hunter .. lots of parts unknown