Author Topic: The day my hair turned grey....  (Read 53010 times)

Offline 2fITy.J

• Yama-God
  • To get ahead, it's one down, five up!
Re: The day my hair turned grey....
« Reply #270 on: January 19, 2016, 11:01:25 PM »
A bike in the bush is worth two in the shed!

BMW-BSA-Ducati-Honda-Kawasaki-Lambretta-Matchless-Norton-Suzuki-Triumph-Vespa-Yamaha.

Dirty Dozen '13 DR650SE - '90 DR650RS - '82 IT465J - '82 IT250J - '80 GT80G - '77 A100B - '76 DT100C - '76 TC125 - '75 TM75 - '73 MX80 -       '73 TC100K - '69 TC120-1

Offline 2fITy.J

• Yama-God
« Reply #271 on: January 24, 2016, 03:04:06 PM »
 :D :D  Have bike....will travel.

Couldn't resist....had to go way down the peninsular yesty to organise ownership receipt and rego transfer of the ute I bought late last year. On the way back I spotto a sign I didn't expect to see. Cardinia water storage reservoir is not far off the road I was on....for decades I always thought it to be a long way off.  ::)

Blogs I'd seen recently told of redfin catches in an adjacent lake, 10klm detour and I was there! I already had a plan.  ;D

Last night I did some google earth searches and found a way to get there that encompasses nearly all the things I like. Quiet, windy roads through the hills, some corrugated windy gravel roads, more twisties, lush forest and some new sights along the way. To top it off, I would be passing an old mates place* from the 80's...will be interesting to see the changes over time.

Surprisingly, the bait worms and maggots I bought at Narbethong (4th January) are still all healthy once warmed from the 'fridge...couple of ice coffee's, some snacks, fishin' pack and on my way about 9am.

Brilliant ride....bugger all traffic getting from home to the Dandenong ranges...then nearly all I saw were the lycra lads. A few cars about where there were tea rooms and flower gardens etc, but really nice riding.

I had skirted all these windy roads for years, mainly because family station wagons and rug rats are usually a bad mix....not mention impatient wives....  :(    'ken awesome onna bike though.  ;D ;D ;D

Auravale Lake is only about 30klm away and takes about 45 minutes....prolly do it in 20 minutes on a motard....  :o  But I like to take in all the scenery and let my senses and bike enjoy the ride too.

Auravale lake is a special catchment that collects mainly residential zoned rainwater (stormwater) and is deemed tainted. Auravale is seperated from Cardinia Reservoir by a rock-wall.

Water is fairly clear and the bottom is carpeted in weeds, a lot of the shore is lined with lily.

But I could see fish active across the other side.....  ;)

Closer by were patches of lily and ducks.....behind that rock-wall at top of pic is Cardinia reservoir...some 250 times larger than Auravale.

Nice duck.....

I baited my small rod with worms and cast out to the edge of the lily patch and set about casting a spinner on my larger rod. Weeds were evident as far as I could cast out.

I tried with the spinner for about an hour, my small rod lay dormant all the time. My mind soon wondered, was peaceful place, overcast and a cool 21c....when I spot something dark and furry dart across just near me....I could see a tunnel/trail winding it's way through the matted grass from the water's edge to an area where rock-wall rocks were protruding from the ground a touch.

Didn't see the animal again and could not discern any foot-prints. Could be bush rats...or introduced ones.

Then I start noticing the thing that dismays me....rubbish. Plenty of glass and plastic drink containers and chip packets about the place, someone has dumped some house rubbish at some stage too. I can't fathom it.

2 hours of casting without a thing, my worm bait was untouched too.....hmmm. Around noon the weather closed in and it was drizzly again....a good excuse to leave and miss out on not catching fish  8)

Should make the ride home "educational" and not just a retrace ride.

I am realising the best part of these fishing trips is the ride and peacefulness in between.

*Mate left the area years ago after being harassed by local council for creating access to his property from the rear. He had cleared a track some 50m along a creek line and made a stone ford across a tiny stream than ran through his back yard. This "track" he cut is now called Sunny Court and is a gazetted road which is now some 300m long, giving rear access to a whole line of homes that used to run the gauntlet exiting the front's very steep rise into traffic on Belgrave-Gembrook Road..

Here's a link of the day's ride..... http://goo.gl/maps/gbF9bGZrDo42

Cheers,
Chris.

BMW-BSA-Ducati-Honda-Kawasaki-Lambretta-Matchless-Norton-Suzuki-Triumph-Vespa-Yamaha.

Dirty Dozen '13 DR650SE - '90 DR650RS - '82 IT465J - '82 IT250J - '80 GT80G - '77 A100B - '76 DT100C - '76 TC125 - '75 TM75 - '73 MX80 -       '73 TC100K - '69 TC120-1

Offline 2fITy.J

• Yama-God
« Reply #272 on: February 10, 2016, 07:21:40 PM »
WARNING: May contain traces of GOMS...some would say Nuts!

Went bush again, another mission....er, well the same mission that I've failed relentlessly.

Plan was to go and get a feed of yabbies along with a dozen or so "bait size" yabbies from the Redcastle area I frequent...and then try fishing the inlet channel that directs water from Goulburn Weir (and Lake Nagambie) to the Waranga Basin near Rushworth.

Google Earth has been my ally....spotto several dams I've not seen near Redcastle and easy access to the Cattanagh Inlet channel.

As per usual along the way, I enjoy an Egg and Bacon roll at Tooboruc Genereal Store...yum...and head off to Costerfield where I have my first diversion.

I notice the farm where there'd been a few airplanes and assorted Holdens/Fords adorning the hillside have all disappeared....there's pics of them in this thread. Lots of new houses about too.

At Costerfild I was to take a turn off and follow Donelly's Lane through to Pavey's Road...I'd spotted a small dam and Donelly's went nearby. I take the turn and wend my way past small farms and houses of all descriptions when all of a sudden the track peters out (as far as use) to a stick ridden clearing between fences to a pile of rocks, tree stumps and fencing wire....a pretty impressive "barricade"...guess they're not keen on "through traffic"....retrace, and take my normal route to my campsite dam...there's two dams I wanna try and find along the way.

The turn-off to one of the dams I wanted to check out had (about a mile in) a newly erected wooden paling across the track proclaiming Revegetation Area - Keep Out!  :o

Got me stuffed as to what they hope to achieve there....it takes water for stuff to grow here....no one is taking vegetation out....the stuff will grow out of the tracks themselves given enough water. Pffftt.

I spotted the second track wending along an adjacent ridge line, I cut across country and followed it to a shallow depression that may have been water filled some time back....most likley when google earth took the images....I follow the track back to where it reconnects with the track I was on when I come across the back of a recent sign/barricade across the track....reads the same as the other, having just been in there I saw absolutely no sign of "revegetation".

Anticipation of good yabbying grew despite missing three dams so far. Track going in had two sections where it looked like a lot of water had been about very recently, judging by the flow marks along the track and stick and leaf banks against trees/rocks etc...this was to show itself throughout the entire area I travelled....however, it was balanced by vast areas that showed no sign of rain or water flow for ages.

Campsite itself remains untouched....saplings have certainly benefited....

But the dam is very low indeed, had only seen it lower after 15 years of drought....  ???

Unfortunately, eejits have smashed a slab of beer and wine type bottles for the 'ken hell of it....  >:( >:(

I curse not bringing a shovel.

I bait up a hoop net and toss it in and head off over the hill on my now visible bike track to the second dam, nearly there I spotto a wallaby, ears erect but unable to identify me or the DR's noise (or lack thereof)

It worked out I was there and did the old "take a peek round a bush routine"....  :D :D

It didn't bother bounding away as I proceeded within 30m along my track....descending down to the dam wall and wow it's very low too....only a small triangle remains at the levee.

Always interesting things at this dam as it is clearly visible from the track, this intrigues me.....someone has built a campfire right next to an ants nest on the dam wall...nest has been there for years, fire is within the last seven months....

Logic tells me that it may have been a beacon fire as it would be visible for a good mile or so along the adjacent track in either direction...late last year there was a rally event in the area. Or some complete numpties were there.....  ::)

I bait a second net, placing it near the levee and ride down onto the now dry shallow section and park. Crikey what do I find....a sundried Port Jackson shark egg...two in fact!  :o :o

Some more wandering and I find a more feasible clue.....Yabby-pipes...hippy yabby-pipes stuffed with sea spongey net stuff at one end....  8)

Homes for hip yabbies.....

Then around an old gum stump I find a collection of corals...and more hippy stuff...  :D

Good, no Sharknado's were ever harmed here.....  ;)

When out here I like to get off tracks as much as I can, really enjoy the benefits of a bike, fairly easy to keep oriented (except around noon) and visibility is fairly good. So I head off on what I hope to be a relatively straight 3 kilometre line over a hilltop and then a low ridge where I should come across another track at right angles...directly over that about another kilometre should be another dam....perhaps!

Dam...I mean darn...it's low as well. The way from the track to the dam was easy as there has been a fair amount of traffic on it....seems it's been used often for target shooters, many shot up cans and plastic bottle about the place...and as a bad sign, two abandoned opera house nets....  ::)

Dam itself is down to 1/10th size but sports a good growth of gum saplings....note the target pole at left...

I had a baited net with me and tossed it in...was a pretty easy ride here so a return was easy to justify.

I returned to the second dam and lifted the net....half dozen small yabbies and about as many leeches...hmm, three of the yabs were soft-shelled and were newly molted...leech fodder. I emptied the net and returned to my campsite net, lifting the hoop net to find 47 yabbies.....  :o :o

Only about 5 were big enough for cooking, the majority were bait size....I put them all in my keep net and headed off on a longer journey to an area seemingly dotted with small dams, near the end of the state forest area.

No luck, the correlation between however old google earth imagery is, and what is there now is far removed. One track that was meant to be only a few k's before an intersection had split up into at least six tracks meandering near each other, and even crossing each other till the two I followed longest died at a fence and open paddocks....and that's miles past the area of interest. It was now after 11am and getting very warm...over 30c at least.

I head back to the target shooter's dam still with a net in it and lift bugger all of size....pfft.

All packed up again I looked at my speedo and note I have buggered the numbers....I would have to head back to Heathcote for fuel as I couldn't guarantee making Nagambie from where I was....besides, there was more of interest on Donelly's Lane that ended on Pavey's Rd...Pavey's road being my route back to Heathcote.

So I find the road that is opposite Donelly's lane on Pavey's road and head to the Dargile camping grounds....yer, out here!

Gotta say, it's well done...but...why?

There's a spacious rotunda with a huge fireplace amidships with swing away hotplates...the area has several steel fire hearths with hotplates on a pole.

Run off'f the roof provides potable water.....  8)

There are even brick dunnies.....

Several of the trees have quite some disturbance of the bark on the trunks and thicker branches...at first I thought it maybe some birds have been collecting the hairy bark for their nests, but this tree has been worn almost smooth....  :o

Perhaps a corroboree tree for possums.....there's one adjacent to me here at home!

This I did not expect to see.....  :D :D :D

I know the area...there is nothing different than what you see in the first ten steps of the walk....  ::)

Okay, so maybe some ants nests on the track and many many Orb Spider webs that will stop you in your tracks.

I enjoyed a snack under a thick copse of trees and thought what a waste of time and effort. Really, the only things to see are red bellied snakes, brown snakes, tiny skink lizards, black wallabies, wrens/robins, owls, bats, the odd eagle and maybe glimpse a hare....place won't even sustain rabbits but will a gazillion ants. Any interesting historical relics are way further into the forest...miles away from this campsite.

The first dam I tried to access from the Costerfield side  (off Donelly's Lane) is about a kilometre along a track opposite.....named Black Gully Track at this end....  ???

The dam is relatively full and very black from leaf litter and tannin....  :o

There are yabbies here.....

However this one was in molt and sported a very soft leathery shell, nearby are discarded shells...

Not putting nets in here though....a very dead black wallaby adorns the centre....  :P

Hot now, I ride the 10klm to Heathcote and fill up then take the Heathcote-Nagamie road.....it's a good ride and cooling at speed.

Offline 2fITy.J

• Yama-God
« Reply #273 on: February 10, 2016, 09:03:11 PM »
Riding from Heathcote to Costerfield to Graytown and onto Nagambie was excellent, I was within a 5 vehicle group all intent on making good use of the road...two a 1/4 mile ahead of me and three the same behind, gave me a chance to see the views, like a 1970 Toyota bus converted to a motor home half way through a fence, a foot on each side of huge trees...two hippy type ladies sipping tea from a silver service off a fold up card table at the back of the bus/home.

I could see ahead of me a massive gathering of shine...crikey, there was a full on speedway meeting at Nagambie Raceway...before I had finished processing the thought of having a "quick look" I was past the entry gates and soon out of sight....hmmm.

I cross the Goulburn River and see a speedboat about every 30m or so...strewth!

Nagambie was vibrant, green and lush...full lake and many people about. Water was crowded with craft.

I press on and find myself on freakin' freeway's.....eventually comes the turn off I need. To Murchison. There I would find the road to Rushworth that crosses the Cattanagh channel and skirts Waranga basin.

Then a Grumpy Old Man Syndrome thought hit me....all over this state I have been thwarted of certain pursuits because I was in a designated water catchment area. This negates a lot of activity like bike riding...only with a motor I might add, prospecting, trapping, camping etc etc...there are also a lot of caveats on buildings and residency.

Vast areas are covered by this and yet it all drains into a huge dam and is then fed out into it's original river again to more dams, weir's and "basins" and 99% of that water is used for irrigation.

...just sayin'.

Anyway, I still had a chance to explore some old tracks of years gone by.....this one skirted farmland and linked up a forest reserve and wetlands area, was a reasonably easy ride as recent rain had cleared the old wheel tracks...little wash-aways kept you on your guard though.

Not sure what these are but could be some remaining steel supports for either a large tank or silo...pile tests maybe....

I find myself back on the tarmac where the road has somehow changed from Inlet Channel road to Wild Paddock Lane and then to Inlet Channel road again when it crosses the Murchison-Rushworth road....disused railway is now a walking track...sheesh!

I travel a ways down the track but access to the channel is fenced all the way, but back on the highway to Waranga Basin I cross the channel and can see ready access, I press on to have a bo-peep at Waranga Basin.

The online site where I check water levels says the basin is currently at 23% but was being fed as a month back it was 15%...that's a lot of water.

Jet-ski heaven......my perception is on the vid. There was a couple of Wake-board boats ambling about slowly creating large wake for the jet boys to play on......

Click image.....  ;)

The basin is a fair size (pic is at Harrimans Point boat ramp centre bottom)...that red dam wall at the top is 7 kilometres long (4.2mi).

I snack a bit, bin some rubbish and head back to where the road crosses the channel. I park on the old railway line which surprise surprise, has been converted to a walking trail....  ::)

Oh, it's all the rage. How inspiring will this walk be folks.....  :P

The amount of heat coming off the blustone is woefull. And the expense of making all the bridges foot friendly with a huge concrete slab and side railing...there are a lot of these as it crosses many small drains and gullies on it's straightline path.

The channel was fairly full and had quite a flow to it....alas, not one bite or nibble with live yabbies, worms (yes, they still survive) and lures for about two hours.

After riding that short section of freeway I decided I would go back via Seymour, Yea and Yarra Glen. I refueled at a dinky little Shell in Murchison East and paid 25c less per litre for 98 octane than I did in Heathcote...  :o

For some reason it only took me 2 hours to get home.....  8)

No fish and, ALL the yabbies were dead come monday morning.  :o :o

......never had that happen before...one or two maybe but never all. Did manage 515klms for the day though and a lot of that was off-road.

Cheers,
Chris.

Offline Devondan

• Yama-God
« Reply #274 on: February 16, 2016, 07:48:17 AM »
Nice write, thanks for sharing, you have soooooo much more space than us!
IT  400D - Trail riding
74 Montesa Cappra - Racing
YZ250 H - Racing
Norton ES2 500 trials
Norton 250 Jubilee - Road
Norton 350 Navigator (in boxes)
Norton 350 Single M50 (in boxes)

Offline 2fITy.J

• Yama-God
« Reply #275 on: April 25, 2016, 05:58:29 PM »
On my last trip up to Redcastle I took some pics at the Dargile Camp grounds...here's a view of the Info board...

It also depicted this gold puddling machine.....

Well, yesterday I found one......

Yep, cross-countrying on my little TM75.....

Here's a little of what I breathe in each day at work......

http://vid1127.photobucket.com/albums/l626/BrangaTangTang/BrangaTangTang014/TM75%20and%20Ute%20at%20Redcastle/Fibreglass%20dust.....mp4

Ye olde fibreglass dust......  ::)

Cheers,
Chris.

Offline Bigshorts

• Yama-God
« Reply #276 on: April 26, 2016, 09:53:55 AM »

looks like poo bucket has eaten your pics Chris ... ???
When someone hands you a flyer, its like they are saying Here, you throw this away.

IT200 IT490 WR2500 IT175G x2  Ariel Red Hunter .. lots of parts unknown

Offline 2fITy.J

• Yama-God
« Reply #277 on: April 26, 2016, 10:24:37 AM »
looks like poo bucket has eaten your pics Chris ... ???

Dang....which ones 'shorts? (I can see them fine)

Offline Bigshorts

• Yama-God
« Reply #278 on: April 26, 2016, 10:46:13 AM »

all on this page for me .. perhaps it's me?

message says
"oops your image was linked incorrectly, please visit your account for correct link"
When someone hands you a flyer, its like they are saying Here, you throw this away.

IT200 IT490 WR2500 IT175G x2  Ariel Red Hunter .. lots of parts unknown

Offline 2fITy.J

• Yama-God
« Reply #279 on: April 26, 2016, 12:56:41 PM »
Well that is odd...the TM75 pics are from the same p'bucket album as the pics on my "Need to fill some gaps" thread. The info board pics are from the Waranga Basin album set of pics. (previous reply #272)