Author Topic: The day my hair turned grey....  (Read 53018 times)

Offline 2fITy.J

• Yama-God
  • To get ahead, it's one down, five up!
Re: The day my hair turned grey....
« Reply #230 on: January 03, 2016, 08:27:27 AM »
I think my laptop is having a holiday...is simply stupid...or there is a numpty in charge...dunno...but here goes.

I planned a ride to cooler climes this year following a spate of aborted tours because of fire bans, local bushfires and plain too bl__dy hot weather.

The Snowy Mountains high plains seemed a good idea. Fishing, camping and prospecting...and brand new country to me. Due to time off work and recent security measures I had nearly a three week's window this year...my mind was sayin' a week at best (and I have a lot of things to do in the factory that I want to take my time with).

Thing is, I pretty much got it wrong in a couple of key aspects. Nonetheless, I had a great ride "at the end of the day" as they say.

First up, my forgetfulness got me big time. I was meant to order a rear tyre leading up to the silly season...didn't.  ::)  Dunno...may have convinced meself that "she'll be right" (is She ever wrong I ask).

Mind you, I was riding up to a mates place in the hills two days before leaving, when I remembered I should have ordered that rear tyre to have it fitted in time. After a guided tour of his re-assembled hoard of bikes (some unseen's had come to the front, some were gone, some were newly gained). I said "I shooda gotta tyre"...while trying to identify a bike by the rear tyre protruding from tarps/blackberries....  :D

We looked at my tyre and mate says with press of the thumb on the tread...."that looks good for one more trip"...(as he knew of my ride intentions)....I rode with that...err.  :P

In hindisght.... ....riding 70 odd clicks on the tar to my mates place and then rolling across 4m of crushed Lilydale rock driveway, made the knobs look like nobs...all proud and pronounced.

coodawoodashooda.....!!

So come the day...(New Years Eve)...  ;) ....I woke on time but felt crap after a rough night of anticipation, high temperature and a droning fan.

I kept sayin' it's okay to leave at the next half hour mark....7am was soon 9. This rabbit at my door nonchantly munchin' was a bit of a wonder...a tap on the glass sent him hoppin' off but stopped for a scratch a few metres away.

More later today....much more.....  :o
A bike in the bush is worth two in the shed!

BMW-BSA-Ducati-Honda-Kawasaki-Lambretta-Matchless-Norton-Suzuki-Triumph-Vespa-Yamaha.

Dirty Dozen '13 DR650SE - '90 DR650RS - '82 IT465J - '82 IT250J - '80 GT80G - '77 A100B - '76 DT100C - '76 TC125 - '75 TM75 - '73 MX80 -       '73 TC100K - '69 TC120-1

Offline chippy

• Yama-God
  • Ride to stay on.
« Reply #231 on: January 03, 2016, 08:42:29 AM »
Good start Chris. Looking forward to chapter two.

Offline 2fITy.J

• Yama-God
« Reply #232 on: January 03, 2016, 09:18:06 AM »
Secondly....can't shed any responsibility here, this cock-up is all mine.

I wrote a list of things I wanna do. So I listed the things I'd need to achieve that...simple hey!?!

All went well when I did a pre-pack test to check exactly what I can take. I took my time making every molecule of space count for something. sh_t I did well...surprised meself even. Looked back at the naughty pile, all there was were extraneous bags and a fold up army shovel/hoe/pick. I had room for them but no real need....besides, I may need room for stuff I find...or buy! Trouble is, I was so impressed with my packing...I left it like that.

My cooler bag was a special effort...I rehearsed with empty containers the same as what I was taking.  ::) No, I didn't take empty sh_t in my cooler...haven't quite left my coil that much...close, maybe.

All I needed to do was pack my cooler with the real thing in the morning...I know the cooler will fill one saddlebag with a bit of room on top for insulating spare jeans.

Now, issues will come to the fore within the yarn you've stuck yourselves with so far....initially it reared it's head when I realised that placing maps at the bottom of my cooler wrapped in two plastics bags...was a stupid idea.

Plan was to avoid the majority of freeway/national highways, so I head off along the Warburton hwy as far as Yarra Junction and turn off to Noojee (going past Three Bridges vinduro venue)....just past Noojee I'm to take a turn south and head off down through Fumina, Tranjil Sth and then mirror the A1 on the north side to Rosedale for fuel...then best option is to take the A1 as far as Orbost....fuel wise, bl__dy DR piddle tank.

...actually...(I can do this)...here's a link showing Yarra junction to where I was headed.

http://goo.gl/maps/4E6si5ThZSB2    (go to satellite image to show terrain)

Now, I came to a wee place called Tranjil Bren....name rang a bell, bl__dy great ride...absolutely marvellous riding. Twisties, up and down and around and around...beautifull lush forest and the smell that I imangined was the fragrance of bait worms dipped in honey (go on...you can do it)....a rich loamy earth smell with lashings of Valentines Day flower stalls.

And, it was cool...was nearing 30c at 10am I reckon, when I took that turn of the Warburton Hwy. Was still in the teens, road doesn't see much sun light. Did I say brilliant riding road. Narrow, undulating, twisty and kept you grinning but focussed. But surely I had travelled more than enough. As I rode I thought hard....the notes I'd written were in my top pocket but they were some distances for fuel stops and some odd places names I had in mind...the maps were under well packed food and ice water. Best I had was a reasonable "good" memory of them.

Next thing I realise, I had indeed missed the turn, as there came a large intersection with a road to the summit of Mt. Baw Baw and the top road to Rawson...ah crap. The Rawson route is too long for my tank. (I'd checked)

So I went the 9 klkm up the mount...why not I was all but there!

Bawring...and extremely windy....nice view of trees...couldn't see the horizon anywhere....just as well, I did real good job of packing the right saddlebag with the "heavy" items that don't suit the big pack...first in, all smug at the bottom, is my camera bag with a few dozen other items crammed in there as well....hence the heavy tag. Bugger!

So, that done I headed back down....I would stop at the Tanjil place...looked a bit like there was an info board there next to some dunnies.  :o

Yep, there was...and I'd missed that turn off by miles...had a p_ss and retraced my corners...hehe, nearly typed "steps".

Spotted at the turn off proper...bl__dy great big sign there overshadowing the name of the bridge and creek at the same spot. Google maps shows no hint of a creek/river/bridge. I stopped at the intersection, then rode back a bit and spotted the other side sign....lying prostrate in the dozer ditch along the road. Dang!

Here's my "detour".... http://goo.gl/maps/XJp4XHFQ2mn   (go to satellite image to show terrain)

Confident again, I really enjoyed the ride down "HIGHWAY 465"....but coz of the extra miles I would have to fill up at Trafalgar...which is still not by-passed by the A1 yet...the other option was "Moe".  :o :o

Ugh....A1, hot, humid. windy and every conceivable vehicle(s?) is on the road.

I have never seen so many bicycles, kayaks, motorbikes, quadbikes, jet-skis strapped to caravans, trailers, roof-racks....even freakin' buses by the dozen...saw one rozzer on the road. Some of the vehicles were cool...some were just absurd, um....'tis the silly season.

Things quietened down a bit past Sale/Bairsndale and good old Stratford (another annual Vinduro venue) as a lot were at there destination or headed directly to the lakes. I was with the "mountain" crowd it turned out. Some beaut rivers widen out when on the coastal plains and each river crossing reveal a plethora of kayaks and non powered craft. Nicholson, Avon, Snowy, Tambo to name a few...

Got to Orbost, fueled up and turned north and up the southern rise to the high plains. 126 klms to Delegate the sign says....shortly a sign proclaimed 105 klms of winding road.  ;D ;D

Absolutely fantastic ride...I could feel the temperature drop to a very comfortable level. Fantastic change of forest on the way up...this is a typical rain belt area, when weather patterns blow up off Bass straight they rise and dump rain along the way then peter out over the top long onto the plains.

Tall timber, steep gullies and all manner of vegetaion. On the whole the road was very good but had sections still in living breathing corrugated gravel...prolly 25 klms of dirt. Some sections of tar were seemingly brand new down to the sections that needed a good revamp. Some Quite a few potholes, some "lumps" or pressure mounds and deadfall kept you alert. Speaking of dead, felt pretty guilty after I ran over a small snake...then even more so when I bunted a Rosella parrot fair up the sh_tter at 80k's with my handguard...enough to leave poop on my jacket sleeve...Scotch Bright treatment let it simply roll off in the wind. Then I collected a young black wallaby...inna nano second it shot out from my left and collected my left foot...enough to bend the gear lever inwards a tad. It was on a dirt section so the lack of reaction time may have at least saved me and the bike...sadly not the joey. I dragged it off the road and contemplated things a bit. I felt there would be karma.

There were two sections that had in the past two years or so, been burnt out by bushfire. I would say by lightning strike in the non high fire danger period simply because on both occasions the fire was only on one side of the road...meaning it was relatively easily controlled as the road is narrow and wouldn't take much to jump it...it could also be the starting point of the fire as it burnt away...odds improbable given the distance between.

Both fire areas looked way more than DSE back-burn exercises.

Higher you went the more dense the forest...crikey...have a real sense of wonderment thinking of the early pioneers up this way.

My plan involved an overnight stop at the Delegate Hotel, fall back was one of three campsites within 30klms of Delegate...these I found by google/blogs. There was one site just off the road I was on so I pulled off for a look see...thought the area (if I'm alone) would be good enough, I carried on past Bonang (McKillops Bridge route turn-off), cross the Vic/NSW border and Delegate river all in one, and onto Delegate, some 20klms onto the plains....not flat per se, more undulating with no discernable peaks....well not for miles and miles off the horizon.

Delegate....well besides being an almost lost in time town, it was gearing up for new years Eve all the same. I got there at about 6.30pm and was greeted with the news there was a room available for $40. Great.

Out the back to a weatherboard building linked by a walkway from the back of the pub...there were 6 rooms with three beds in each. Decent enough...but that was it...three beds and 150w light bulb about 15' above you. Besides the floor....no flat surface anywhere.

Beds were okay and there was a power point, heater and powerboard....just had to bring your own shelf or table.

Parked my bike and carted most everything to my room....#12, right between 11 and 14....hehehe.  ::)

Went to the bar and asked about dinner....I was hankerin' for a big juicy steak (tis cattle country) and old school veg's....bummer, big bummer...it's NYE and their havin'  a barby with snags and rissoles with salad. (dry bread and plastic plate jobby)....so grabbed a schooner of full strength ?? something beer and sat at the window...tasted great whatever it was.

There was a jumping castle being erected in the main street and a band setting up in the front courtyard...lots of people arriving.....had a good chinwag with a few of the locals...surprisingly my bike was a talking point...seems they see a lot come through but that was it.

Did learn some disturbing news though. The greenies have really taken hold of the area and most rivers streams etc are no go zones. Access is limited to mountain biking or foot in a whole swathe of the area. Corporate logging has parceled up large areas also. The only real access is about the bridges. And to top it off, there'd been a truck accident on the Mackillops road.  :o

But I was freakin' famished and it was already heading for 8pm...no sign barby was alive yet...everything in town was shut...in fact there were now barricades at each end of town. Was funny to see two burly coppers in their full kit/apperal hugging, kissing and shaking hands of near everyone in the pub...they were there for the three more of my schooners anyway.

Eventually I managed a rissole with two slices of bread...I opted for a dollop of sauce as I couldn't figure how I was gonna manage a tossed salad on the flimsy plastic plate and the silly knife/fork/spoon in one thingy.

I went to my room with it and pretty soon after demolishing it, was asleep. Woke up about 10.30pm when someone moved into the next room...went had a shower and although there was a quite a lot of people there, the young kids squeals etc., were all I heard of proceedings.

Gotta say, the stars are bright up there....  :o

Got my camera out in the morning.

More soon when poobucket is awake.....  ::)

BMW-BSA-Ducati-Honda-Kawasaki-Lambretta-Matchless-Norton-Suzuki-Triumph-Vespa-Yamaha.

Dirty Dozen '13 DR650SE - '90 DR650RS - '82 IT465J - '82 IT250J - '80 GT80G - '77 A100B - '76 DT100C - '76 TC125 - '75 TM75 - '73 MX80 -       '73 TC100K - '69 TC120-1

Offline killindini1

• Yama-God
  • IT200L IT200S SDR200 WR250Z 1992
« Reply #233 on: January 03, 2016, 10:12:39 AM »
Great stuff Chris,
Chapter 3 please ;D

You write like a seasoned pro,  excellent.

Cheers,
Steve.
Beer is more than just a breakfast drink

Offline 2fITy.J

• Yama-God
« Reply #234 on: January 03, 2016, 10:37:25 AM »
Strewth...woke up at first light and reckon it was an hour short of my normal rise time....lay there snoozing, dead calm, very cool but humid. A pee beckoned about 5.30 and I got up....was actually chilly, about 10c and quite still, became mostly overcast with high cloud...and bright. Hard on the eyes!

p_ss-farted about with my gear...eventually uncovering my camera...I'd take a few pics before going in for my brekky.

The block of rooms out the back......

The main street....

Pretty laid back town....even the short-cut to the front door has been catered for.....

My bike was given the Express parking spot...right next to the publican's......  ;D 8) 8)

Other guests got the executive parking bays, along with the chooks and washing.....  :D

Town was absolutely dead quiet save for a rooster having a whinge somewhere.....

Crikey, it was after 7am and the supposed table of breakfast cereal, bread/toaster etc was nowhere to be seen....the coffee urn wasn't even plugged in or with any water in it. Pfffttt....

I loaded up...was a bit pi__ed off about no brekky.....or even coffee. According to the locals I spoke to the night before, the next town has "proper" servo's...place called Bombala, some 35klm up the road towards Cooma.

Beautiful ride there, smooth road with great scenery and some bl__dy big bulls...just starin', chewin' as I ride past. Come over a rise and see the road littered with white....looked like a whole mess of polystyrene blocks....not so.

Something big had collected a flock of Sulphur Crested cockies...feathered carnage. Actually, there were heaps of road kill, majority were grey 'roos...and wombats where there be trees about...and most were quite ripe given the last few days weather. The only problem with riding a bike is guessin' how long to hold your breath for..... :D :D

Fueled up at Bombala...could only get 91 octane at nearly $1.50 a litre.... :o  Talk about quiet.....I hadn't seen anyone till I went inside to pay. The young lass at the counter did not want to be there...8am on new years day...last nights make-up was atrocious...paying $10.05 for fuel with a $50 note didn't help her anxiety....  :o

;)

Offline harko

• Yama-God
« Reply #235 on: January 03, 2016, 10:50:37 AM »
Great read Chris, keep it coming.  :)

Harko
Harko

Offline 2fITy.J

• Yama-God
« Reply #236 on: January 03, 2016, 11:17:57 AM »
What struck me riding about was the names of things are somewhat enlightening...not just all named after dignitaries. Result Creek sounds good. Pipe Clay road sounds good for a prospector too. Robber's Rest and Dead Man Gully...not so. Dead Bull Road follows Dead Calf Creek....ends up at an abattoir.

Obligatory bike pics.....  ;D

Nice....

A scene of non cleared terrain, coolness and snow makes for a huge change in flora in just 20 miles....

Tranquil.....

Not quite so....

Some turbulent water comes down at times......

Was nearing 9am when I came back through Delegate....not a thing had changed......not even a loose dog on the road, in fact the road barricades were still lying flat down on the roads. Still have only seen the one person...who was in make-up!

I stopped at the border....Delegate Bridge over the Delegate river which straddles the NSW-Vic. border.....

Yes....I did contemplate the low road crossing.....but a walk down revealed it's strewn with big rocks and no-ones done it in a while.....

Back in Victoria...everything changes......

I have a Victorian Fishing licence and a Victorian Miner's Right!

Yer...more later!  ;D

Offline 2fITy.J

• Yama-God
« Reply #237 on: January 03, 2016, 01:32:17 PM »
Crikey...two hours waiting for Optus get it's sh_t together so I can post this reply.....  :( :( :( :(

Was just after 9am when I entered the forest but unlike yesty I was already hot...it was likely 20c cooler though...but it was dead calm and muggy...very muggy. I was wearing half the gear as yesterday's ride up yet I was now sweating...hmmm...could be the schooners...dunno...I ride bikes.

Missing the first of these for a pic (105klm mark) I realised I need to take heed....my foot still smarted from yesterday's punt for the Wallabies....

Predominantly downhill on corrugated gravel makes for some white knuckle riding as it is....  :D

This pic illustrates what the locals were saying about access...there is a lot of water flowin' down there somewhere...I can well hear it...but buggered if I could even recognise the creek line. The undergrowth as shown on the opposite side of the gully completely covers any ground. Basically impenetrable.

I went past the Mackillop's Bridge turn-off, thankful of local news of the road blockage at Tubbut...and carried on to the camp area I checked coming up...the road from there leads to the Delegate River again.

From that bridge is the only view of the water course, I could not see how to get down to water level without a chainsaw and machete.....the river course (like all I'd see) was some 20 feet down from the road.

The second campsite I had earmarked look promising from satellite imagery...but not so, far far from it. I pulled up and could see straight away what the locals were going on about.

Sign says no tents, guns or dogs....other signs nearby have arrows with either a couple walking or a tent. Delegate River is just 10' behind the info display...even there I had to literally crawl through the undergrowth to get to the water...I could not stand up. And bugger me, I could see young brown trout about 8-10" just swimmin' about. Protected at that size. I came outa there like Livingstone....travelled 20' and covered in spider webs, thistles, twigs, mud and a plethora of crawlies on me. And I was sweating bad....no breeze at all. I rode up following the signs to the "tent" area....crikey, it was laid out like a four off the hall...little cleared bays with a stone fireplace in the middle, just enough room for a vehicle and tent....BUT, big signs sayin' NO CAMPING...do due fallen tree branch concerns....is this where some kid got killed a year or so back??

The info board...well that was strange...rabbits on about conservation, ecology, endangered species ad nauseum...and graffiti in charcoal over the top "SAVE THE OLD GROWTH"....

Basically showed mud maps of "nature walks" giving the going, length, time taken and what you will see, 400 year old Plum Pines and gazillion names ten foot long in latin....for f__k's sake....you gotta drive through the same stuff to get here!

Here's more of the water courses I was following (mainly by ear).....bl__dy steep country, camera does no justice....

Yep, nuther river down there somewhere.

My hunt for accessible water was frustrating....all spots I'd earmarked off google earth were so far wrong.

Perhaps if I went lower down where there are some farms about I may get some joy. Some of the roads are very good as they follow ridge lines...some rather flat and straight....but that comes with it's hazards too, this wallaby at least parked in the middle of a straight bit....

Whatchoo lookin' at.....

Time to move on?.......

Nah...let's have bit of scratch first....ho-hum.....

Shortly after, when back on some tar I crested a rise and a large wallaby shot out from the embankment on my right and immediately done a U-turn....I just clipped his tail with my front wheel.....I heard my rear wheel squeal, being relieved I'd hit the picks without even realising...reckon if I'd broadsided that wallaby, I'd be a goner....even at 60klms. I had time to sound my horn for quite a few other wallabies...seems they like the fresh vegetation growing at the very edge of the road cuttings...or were drinking from the roadside channels.

Bit lower down I'd earmarked another thing to try...there was a transmission line marked that crossed the road twice...I would see if I could ride it between crossings. Ride itself was cool, there was a bit of a breeze in the clearing. Track was loose shale type and very dry...seemed to have a lot of shiny formicae in it...which is slippery. My tyre couldn't handle it in places...just spun up when confronted with a small rise or rock...didn't get grip till the sidewalls grabbed some traction...that just put me few feet further forward to go through the whole exercise again.

I saw no evidence of vehicles for a long time on any of "tracks". This little track gave me good grip but was all too brief when I came to a padlocked gate a mile in.

Transmission line track came out near a bridge and was again, my only real view of water....

The shapes down there had me imagining all sorts....  :o :o

And yeah...20' down and no way to get there without a bad landing!

So it was now well into the day and I had resigned myself to needing a new tyre asap. It was new years day and I was far from home. I headed home to order and get fitted with new rubber.

Further down I came to an abrupt stop....one of those tall trees in a burnt area had come crashing down over the road. Because of the angle of fall past the horizontal it fairly exploded when it hit the road....a good thing as it was in pieces. I was just getting my helmet off when a ute pulled up coming the other way...what freakin' luck....second person I'd seen for the day. Didn't take us long to slide it off the road and clear as best we could un-assisted. Thanks "Wobbo"...at least that's what I think he said....young bloke with a face of forty.

Sheesh I was hot under collar and a sore butt....was great to get moving on the bike again but gees my bum was sore. Got down to Orbost at a reasonable pace given hazards available to me. Tell ya' what, best thing I ever did was buy a "Dual" type helmet with a flip up chin and drop down tint....so versatile.

Stopped for a stretch and carried on to Bruthen for another stretch...crikey must have been a hundred bikes in town the time I was there to have an iced coffee and scoff all my plums and apricots. Old fella limps up and starts talkin' about my bike...tells me has an XL250 but can't kick it over anymore...wants to know if there's any old school but leccy leg bikes that size...told him to check Yamaha Aggy 200's. Nuther block onna KTM with full matching suits pulls up near me and takes 10 minutes to prepare to go have a p_ss in the public dunny's....spent 10 minutes strapping up a gazillion zips, buckles tabs and ties and was off again...didn't bother lookin' down on the DR at all. Another bloke nearby sees and chuckles. Spoke to a bloke who just bought a mid 80's 1100 Suzi for $1100...he rode of smiling to Lakes Entrance...just as a rain squall hit.

As I rode off the raindrops were hurt huge...stiff southerly blowin' off Bass straight...these squalls are only a mile or so wide but pack a punch...I was riding with a fair list across some flat areas....seems I was skirting the very edge as I headed due west, it going due north...roads were streaming with water but rain only soaked onto my knees. Steam was as thick as fog and looked quite weird, roads stunk like all get-out though...pungent bitumen smell with a dose of road-kill for fibre.

I did stop very often as my bum was now "on fire"....I had four ride positions....none would last more than 15klms....Harley style was best as I had my pack to lean on...feet felt like they were up my ar_e tho'...  :D

Interestingly once I turned off onto Highway 465, the ride overshadowed the pain. True.

Got home about 6.15pm...1211 klms....and 18.2 hours on the meter.

;D

Offline 2fITy.J

• Yama-God
« Reply #238 on: January 03, 2016, 01:52:13 PM »
Oh...the carnage....no buts!

Rosella bird strike residue, rain at Bruthen washed most off....

I copped another on my knee near Piedmont (Yarra Ranges) but that one lived to tell the tail.....

Sexy blade I bought couldn't handle the corrugations and disassembled itself.....

See! The tyre looks okay...reasonably okay......

But the leading lip is goneski.....

But I did eventually manage to get some use of the side blocks, so not such a waste after 8k on it.

Ordered my tyre and booked the fitting and looked around for a monkey butt remedy....nuthin' at all...so I made my own tester...six layers of 10mm bubble wrap inside a pillow case.

Apart from succumbing to a sore butt and the limiting fuel range there is nothing I can fault on this bike...it handled the trip with quiet aplomb, not missing a beat and never complained...unlike me. Still averaged around 24 k's to the litre.

Was gonna go fishing up Acheron way today but slothness prevailed...ya' get that this time of year.

Cheers,
Chris.

Offline 2fITy.J

• Yama-God
« Reply #239 on: January 03, 2016, 04:30:11 PM »
when I bunted a Rosella parrot fair up the sh_tter at 80k's with my handguard...enough to leave poop on my jacket sleeve...Scotch Bright treatment let it simply roll off in the wind.

Haha...just spotto the can...that should be "Scotch Guard"......  :P :-*