Author Topic: The day my hair turned grey....  (Read 53009 times)

Offline 2fITy.J

• Yama-God
  • To get ahead, it's one down, five up!
Re: The day my hair turned grey....
« Reply #140 on: November 03, 2014, 04:33:20 PM »
Thanks Craig, I'm pretty happy with it...although I will add a second centre fastener to make it symmetrical. The one fitted is 1cm off centre.

Cheers,
Chris.

Hehe....I got around to fixing that today....sorta.  ;)

....a mate gave me this idea though..... ;D ;D

No drilling required..... :D :D

Cheers,
Chris.
A bike in the bush is worth two in the shed!

BMW-BSA-Ducati-Honda-Kawasaki-Lambretta-Matchless-Norton-Suzuki-Triumph-Vespa-Yamaha.

Dirty Dozen '13 DR650SE - '90 DR650RS - '82 IT465J - '82 IT250J - '80 GT80G - '77 A100B - '76 DT100C - '76 TC125 - '75 TM75 - '73 MX80 -       '73 TC100K - '69 TC120-1

Offline 2fITy.J

• Yama-God
« Reply #141 on: December 25, 2014, 09:00:30 PM »
Went scrub for a few days...needed a break from the grind. Can say the screen worked well heading up, found it needs a small angle adjustment on my return into a stiff southerly. Bike went great but I'm a little stiff.

I stacked what I need for some time away fossicking and feeding on fresh cooked yabbies and lamb chops by the campfire.....

Packed up (almost ready) to go....still to put final web strap that will compress the bag considerably....

Arrived at old faithful campsite after a stop at Tooboruc for an egg and bacon sanga, DR went well but had to sit forward a little to keep the front steady on the gravel corners and rifts. There has been recent rains but the surrounding paddocks are extremely dry, forest itself was doing okay although it's only the hardy flora that survives the poor soil and spasmodic rains this year.

I took this pic on arrival and didn't see that sapling....it has sprung up in the last year or so....darn thing, walked into it a few times...

Dam was two thirds full which was a nice surprise.....note the two fallen trees on the right......

Cloud of ruffled feathers on one edge of the dam.......

I would guess they are adolescent owl feathers....any sign of blood would have been taken by ants. I can only think goanna or feral cats, but no tracks were apparent.....

The two trees were only a few metres apart and both snapped off a metre or so from the ground....no other damage anywhere....

I can only surmise that lightning played a part.  :o :o :o

I dug up my buried yabby nets and put three in the dam and went off on the DR to collect some firewood, doesn't take long to find where some "loggers" have made a kill and left some spoils in their haste.

Parked near a pile of suitable tailings and loaded a few choice bits of grey box into my right saddle bag....I gave the bike a bit of a wiggle to see if it's steady when it just rolled forward and tad and fell away from me....CRACK!

For some reason I "rescued" one of the wood pieces from the saddlebag as it fell.... ::)

Put a scratch on what ever these things are called.....

And spat the internals of the clutch electric start cut-out switch.....

Left mirror now matches the right which has been already whacked by trail riding....... ::)

Dropped my wood off and went up one of the hills to a decent vantage point within the forest.....I've snapped all my bikes here I think.

Oh, and what I learnt was if I'm gonna park on a mound....have the rear lower than the front if left in neutral.....

This vantage point is where an open cut mine is and a deep mine that was previously surrounded by one strand of barbed wire.....it has now been made very safe for whatever should come by.....

Which is a good thing coz it's at least 5 seconds deep.......

Pretty soon I had the campsite as it should be......

The view from my bench seat (closest part of the only through road is only about 300m away) I heard no traffic at all when I was there and rarely do. The drought breaking rains have once again obscured the camp from that only road vantage area......

Campfire set up for when it's needed. Yes, that green branch is very volatile and burns just like touch paper and eucalyptus oil.....

Convenient yabby meat bone to attract the resident ants away from exploring my gear........they will no doubt leave prior to dinner.... :D

I have seen native stubble quail darting about the place before but never been able to snap one on film....I did see one lose a feather on what turned out to be an old broken hand blown bottle.....

I had been catching a steady supply of reasonably sized yabbies and out of one net...one caught me. My only true captive trap needs a zipper access and reaching in one got me on an artery......you can just make out the reddish U shaped mark across the vein....

Some pretty serious thoughts flashed by me until I managed to pry the claw apart with a blade.  :o

Dusk here takes three hours or more and soon the campfire will we warranted. Although it was a hot day in the sun, the stiff southerly had a decent wind chill effect.......

32c  but felt like 25c...dropped down to 9-10c most nights. Pretty soon dinner was underway.....

Content with myself after three days I caught a last batch of yabbies and headed back with a feedful in the bag.

Bike gave me a return of 22.8 klm/litre which id down a bit on the old girls 24.6 for the same trip. Need to tilt my screen forward a degree or two.....and remember my clutch switch bizzo is disconnected.

Cheers,
Chris.

BMW-BSA-Ducati-Honda-Kawasaki-Lambretta-Matchless-Norton-Suzuki-Triumph-Vespa-Yamaha.

Dirty Dozen '13 DR650SE - '90 DR650RS - '82 IT465J - '82 IT250J - '80 GT80G - '77 A100B - '76 DT100C - '76 TC125 - '75 TM75 - '73 MX80 -       '73 TC100K - '69 TC120-1

Online Martin I Henry

• Yama-God
  • Europe
    • Dave's Bikes
« Reply #142 on: December 25, 2014, 10:09:24 PM »
An excellent write-up once again Chris.
Thanks for taking the time to share your adventures with us.

Hope you had a great Christmas day.

Cheers,

Dave .

Offline enduras_wr200

• Yama-God
  • Heavy Metal is the Law!
« Reply #143 on: December 26, 2014, 08:01:07 AM »
    What  Dave said! Thanks for taking us with you on your adventures! Your knowledge on fauna and flora is amazing! Not to mention again your writing skills! Thanks Chris

Cheers, Fanis

Offline freebrd1975

• Yama-Rookie
« Reply #144 on: December 28, 2014, 01:41:42 PM »
Looks like you had a great time! 8)What are those yabbies called crayfish or crawfish?
1974 Yamaha DT 360
1982 Yamaha IT 465

Offline fred99999au

• Yama-God
« Reply #145 on: December 28, 2014, 02:21:51 PM »
Yabbies.

Offline 2fITy.J

• Yama-God
« Reply #146 on: December 28, 2014, 04:59:31 PM »
Crayfish are seafood....Crawfish are in movies.  ;D

These are called a Yabby. ....or Cherax Destructor to be precise.

Cheers,
Chris.

Offline 2fITy.J

• Yama-God
« Reply #147 on: December 29, 2014, 05:42:08 AM »
Heading off on a fishing trip.... ;D

Offline Devondan

• Yama-God
« Reply #148 on: December 29, 2014, 06:14:17 AM »
Cool -but 10 c is a warm summer day over here! 
IT  400D - Trail riding
74 Montesa Cappra - Racing
YZ250 H - Racing
Norton ES2 500 trials
Norton 250 Jubilee - Road
Norton 350 Navigator (in boxes)
Norton 350 Single M50 (in boxes)

Offline freebrd1975

• Yama-Rookie
« Reply #149 on: December 29, 2014, 01:30:18 PM »
Crayfish are seafood....Crawfish are in movies.  ;D

These are called a Yabby. ....or Cherax Destructor to be precise.

Cheers,
Chris.

we used to call them crawfish back in 1965 when my granddaddy and i would catch them.we would
ride around until we found a gator pond and take a basket and drag it and hoped we would catch some 8)
1974 Yamaha DT 360
1982 Yamaha IT 465