Author Topic: The day my hair turned grey....  (Read 49930 times)

Offline 2fITy.J

• Yama-God
  • To get ahead, it's one down, five up!
Re: The day my hair turned grey....
« Reply #250 on: January 06, 2016, 10:10:49 PM »
Thanks for the comments along the way fella's, spurs me on somewhat. Although the DR's suit me to a tee for what I want them for Jock, I would never expect you to own a dog rooter...takes a special man to own one (ask cliffy).

You are ultra special....  ;D

Yer...the no fish thing stings. Just forked for a Vic. licence.....couldn't get a fish licence up in NSW for another three days when I was up there...New years day then the weekend...everything was shut up there.

bl__dy wet up there now!   :o :o :o

Cheers,
Chris.

A bike in the bush is worth two in the shed!

BMW-BSA-Ducati-Honda-Kawasaki-Lambretta-Matchless-Norton-Suzuki-Triumph-Vespa-Yamaha.

Dirty Dozen '13 DR650SE - '90 DR650RS - '82 IT465J - '82 IT250J - '80 GT80G - '77 A100B - '76 DT100C - '76 TC125 - '75 TM75 - '73 MX80 -       '73 TC100K - '69 TC120-1

Offline Jock

• Owner
  • Yama-God
    • Vinduro
« Reply #251 on: January 06, 2016, 10:20:27 PM »

bl__dy wet up there now!   :o :o :o

Yep.

For the 10 days I was O/S it rained for 9 of them!

:o :o :o

Offline eyetee

• Yama-Legend
  • "IT seemed like a good idea at the time..."
« Reply #252 on: January 06, 2016, 10:42:36 PM »
Another top journey and a great read Chris

Can totally relate to the pin-drop silence in sleepy country towns in the wee hours - love it! (ex truckie at one stage  ;) )

Good to see the DR is treating you well.  8)

Carry on!

Cheers

Andrew

dark blue, sky blue, white, yellow and some turtles...

Offline 2fITy.J

• Yama-God
« Reply #253 on: January 09, 2016, 11:57:55 AM »
Yesterday I went for a two day ride that I completed in one....  ;D

Being determined to catch a fish, I plotted a tour that would see some sights, some memories and some great Rivers.(renowned for fishing) Instead of camping out I was gonna use "accommodation" and so traveled relatively light, the idea was to get some good riding in.

Set off with a healthy supply of fishing gear, still have my worms and "gents" from early in the week, and packed a cooler bag of fresh fruit....wet weather gear and double jeans/jackets.

Traffic was pretty light heading up the Melba Hwy to Yea. Was a cool morning with patchy low cloud, made good time to Bonnie Doon where I stopped for a hot feed. I had packed my bubble wrap cushion but, on a hunch.....didn't ride with it.

Lake Eildon is down again, way down. Thinking about it, there was not the normal horde of boaties on the road.....mind you, Mansfield was choked....as usual.

Two servo's at Mansfield, I stop at the smaller Caltex in town (has 98)...I may be paying a few cents per litre more, but as it proved...the BP servo on the edge of town was chockers. 4x4's towing boats, bikes and vans...dozens of them....six deep queue at the pumps.

But after the last turn off to the Eildon "hot-spots", I basically had the road to myself....my destination was Mt. Buller...yer, the snow resort!  :o :o

Never been up there. The ride up there was simply fantastic.

Here's a link... http://goo.gl/maps/cMjN1N5eJ4o

Road for the most part past Mansfield, follows the Delatite River...I wet a line at Merrijig but only saw large fat european carp cruising about, seeing them up there was very depressing....didn't stay long.

I should add here that I had some issues taking pics. Wearing it around my neck (under my outer flouro jacket) I was ready for snaps....but for the most part I could not see the viewfinder. At least 50 of my pics were totally out of focus (dunno what some of them were of even)...some showed clearly I have a scratched lens.

First decent rise I saw I stopped for a pic......  ;D

Okay, I stopped coz I saw a stand of wild cherries....but as I chewed a couple of warmish - not quite ripe cherries, I thought of the half punnet I had in the cooler.....  ::)

The "mountains" were soon beginning to appear.....  8)

One of the best things about a bike tour is the vast "extras" you see and the simple fact it is so easy to pull over virtually anywhere and do a U-turn to go and investigate. One thing I noticed was all the 180 corners have names. Box Corner, Ned's Corner, Devil's Corner, Hells Gate Corner.

This is an interesting place, in a way....on the approach was a large sign saying NO STOPPING FOR 500m - FALLING ROCK HAZARD. Then as you round the bend you see a waterfall. This corner sign says White Bridge....  ???

Never saw anymore signs about no stopping or fallen rocks...yet fair evidence of crushed rocks on the road.

Came across this place which seemed to be a staging point for a world championship mountain bike event recently, going by all the advertising about, the tracks are still in use. But what I don't get is this totem, made with snow skis....

One of them 180's needs highlighting.....  :P

Road was fantastic with that tunnel feeling of forest. Pretty good surface for the majority but deteriorated towards the top...ice doing it's thang!!

Nearing the top, rounding a left hander a large shadow went across the road a metre or two in front of me...I fairly ducked and grabbed some throttle....heart racing I pulled up in a "chain bay"....

I was coming up the low road with armco barrier, oblivious to the carpark above me......  ::)

And the chairlifts.....  :D :D :D

Felt like a dill.

Climb was relentless, bike was faultless...what's all that about jetting....  :D :D

Here's a pic of adjacent Mt. Stirling....looks bad....  :o

The tall trees disappear and alpine gums and shrub take their place......'tis a sudden change...suddenly all is bright again and quite hard on the eyes, I'd be buggered here in winter.

After the last switchback I was at the resort village....looks weird, snow chalets that have grown into 5-6 storey apartment blocks. Only people about were maintenance workers and a half dozen groups of mountain bike riders.

Looking back where the road comes up from the valley....you can just make the bike tracks in the foreground....

I had past so many carparks on the way up, large areas that rival shopping centre ones, carved out of the mountain, they would look like rice terraces from on high....

Some carparks were designated...caravans and trailers in particular (I think they are encouraged to unhitch in winter) Another was for large Interstate buses, they run a shuttle bus service as the top 5klm of the road up is all angle parking both sides!!

Crikey, there must be some dollars in skiing etc....

I struggled to take a pic without snow making booms, ski-lift towers or cables in view, here's a pic as close as I could get to the summit (closed, there's yet another new tower going up)...looking back to the south-west towards lake Eildon....Howqua Hill in foreground.

Looking due south.....

East....

North...

:o :o  Oooh...pic limit is due....more in a minute!

BMW-BSA-Ducati-Honda-Kawasaki-Lambretta-Matchless-Norton-Suzuki-Triumph-Vespa-Yamaha.

Dirty Dozen '13 DR650SE - '90 DR650RS - '82 IT465J - '82 IT250J - '80 GT80G - '77 A100B - '76 DT100C - '76 TC125 - '75 TM75 - '73 MX80 -       '73 TC100K - '69 TC120-1

Offline 2fITy.J

• Yama-God
« Reply #254 on: January 09, 2016, 12:19:50 PM »
Some gnarly cliffs contrast the wildflowers in front....

Obligatory bike pic..  ;D

Hmmmm, that's my next destination.....but not that way.....

Okay, I couldn't go up anymore...no I'm NOT walking the summit, only good for 150m now, and that's on the flat. Sign back at the village asks you to heed sticking to made tracks and not to go around gates. Obviously there's no fences at all for the skiers, so they rely on small metal frame barricades across the track....but they missed one!

Now I know why they use those 6 or 8 wheeled all terrain vehicles to get about....

Dunno if it's the nature of the rock strata or the effects of ice but the rocks are very crumbly, track for the most part is off camber, quite a few heart in mouth moments. Evident was the fact the further you went the steeper it got...typical of a Dome mountain.

Which why this run gets its handle...

The scenery just disappears...dunno what happens with that shrubbery, guess it just gets snow packed on top.

Oh the Humanity...wilderness.....  ;)

There be seashells in them there hills...honest.

Looking back from near the summit over the village to Mt. Stirling.....

I say goodbye to Buller and thoroughly enjoy the ride back down....simply awesome riding.

Back with the next stage after having some lunch and doing some wet rubbing of fibreglass parts.......  ::)

Cheers,
Chris.

Offline 2fITy.J

• Yama-God
« Reply #255 on: January 09, 2016, 03:10:54 PM »
Thanks again OPTUS for your average 6 signal dropouts per hour and generous 5-6 kb per second speed rate. Iceholes!!!

Ahem....  ;D

Sweet ride back down, very little traffic...I made good time to my next couple of appointments.  ;D

1. Delatite River. I'd fished here before a few times, most notably with my son Rick when we hooked (but didn't manage to land) two very nice Redfin.

If a small gold stars show up on the map link at the bottom of this reply, it's the one about a quarter of the way between the Piries turn off and Gough's Bay....or where the road is closely adjacent to the river.

Not a great flow rate compared to the volume coming down at Merrijig...I suspect the many farms along the way take their fill. Not to mention Delatite and other townships. There's wineries about too.

Nonetheless, I baited with worms and had a couple of casts. It was hot in the sun, set my rod with a bell and went did lunch...iced coffee, beer nuts and fresh apricots.

Stripped a layer of clothes and attended my rod...still no nibbles but I was optimistic still.

Suddenly a Crane made a somewhat undignified entry into the trees opposite...long neck and legs flailing about as it gained a perch....

There it stood, staring at me for a good 10 minutes.........  :o :o

.....while I experienced many light touches on my line. Suddenly I hooked one...was big, the Crane alighted and flew to a tree just behind me while I wrestled with this 3kg carp......

>:( >:(  'ken hate them things!!

I threw the fish into a nearby wombat cave-in where two old greasy carp carcasses lay...the crane fleeted between overhead branches, seemingly staking it's claim on that fish. How it was gonna go about eating that will remain a mystery to me, the bird wasn't gonna eat in my presence and seemed agitated till I was actually leaving. Rode off thinking the bird could see the fish near my baited line......

2. Next stop is a great riding spot...place called "The Pines", runs off Walshs Rd. which lies just out of Goughs Bay between the Delatite river inlet. (where that big transmission line comes from over the dam wall at Eildon Pondage)

Off the left side of the road, past the transmission line towers are a number of fire trails...in fact there's miles of them in the area....

Going up was relatively easy, but a track all along the ridge was a bit more treacherous in places....

Bonus was whenever you felt "lost" or "which way should I go"...all you had to do was scan for the void where the Tx line is and take a track that way.

Not much of a view from where I went but you can see where the water was at least...

Gotta say, the trails down to the clearing was awesome.....

The other side of Walsh's road pines area is huge and there's a myriad of trails and tracks....was quite dry there but grip was still okay, in the cooler months a few days after rain would be ideal. Pine tree debris ruined a lot of great looking banks/mounds....perimeter tracks and lead off tracks into the bush were good but some quite rocky...water erosion made some trials riding only.

Here's a link of the second leg.... http://goo.gl/maps/cUciZVw2sGr

PS: Google won't plot my exact route off the gazetted roads, needless to say the trail evident is the one in the pics.

Offline 2fITy.J

• Yama-God
« Reply #256 on: January 09, 2016, 04:13:21 PM »
Here is the route I took from the Pines to my next stop at Howqua... http://goo.gl/maps/RWX63mN8ACE2

So, soon enough I was crossing the Howqua river bridge...the plum trees** are still there but have been pruned back considerably...the river is an ankle deep stream now though...

** Plum trees pic from my tri-state, two week adventure thread.... http://www.yamahait.com.au/forum/index.php/topic,12832.msg100817.html#msg100817

This time with the very low water at the bridge, I headed a little upstream to a spot that looked likely on google earth images. A camping area on the Howqua River....Running Stream Reserve.

Note the tennis ball, there were a few families about and I could hear kids splashing about both up and downstream. The river, although quite cold for me, was as tranquil as a pool....  8) 8)

Certainly not running...more of a slow move-by. I tried a lure for about 10 minutes but didn't see any sign of fish.

Avoiding the tarmac I pressed on, went a short bush track route to Jamieson.

Here's the link.....  http://goo.gl/maps/XeNAsh6hRjD2

The extent of the valleys can be clearly seen when water plays its part....

Main body of the lake is some miles away at the moment.

The track itself was sort of okay but not often traveled....not my smartest move time wise but well worth the riding experience....

I was very surprised when googled plotted that one although it took some persuasion.

Closer to Jamieson something caught my eye in a clearing....initially it was just the clearing but there is something down there intriguing me. Luckily some of the pics are okay, as mentioned, I could not see the viewfinder.

There is a black object at the waters edge and two white squares on the flat...

The squares are of a reasonable size compared to the trees about....

One of the things I didn't bring (usually do) is my 20x binoculars, my camera is good for 15x only. It does look a bit like a ski boat with a black trailer covering on it with maybe a jetski next to it...or a huge burnt log. The squares... ???

I sidle down to the township of Jamieson and fuel up....and have a chinwag with the servo owner!

;) :o

Offline 2fITy.J

• Yama-God
« Reply #257 on: January 09, 2016, 06:23:26 PM »
Small servo in Jamieson was also a haven of advice. I filled up and walked inside and old bloke rummaging through a pile of knobby tyres walks silently behind the counter, opens the till, looks up and asks, "How much?"

Strewth. That threw me...walked back outside to read the gauge...$10.46.  :D :D :D

He asks about the bike and where I'm headed...I tell him a brief summary and that I wanna try the Jamieson and hopefully grab a room up the street at the Courthouse Hotel if fish are to be had.

He says with a wink every half minute or so that no-ones getting anything from the banks or lake shore...only a few of the boaties getting into deep wooded holes are getting the odd keeper. Most are just relaxing or boating for pleasure. Way too many city folk in cars that just can't handle the place...reckons he's gonna double his retrieval price for "newcomers" as he calls the inexperienced. Didn't know whether I should feel privileged for hearing that or he had a facial twitch.....

Also told me there were vacancies almost everywhere, normally all booked out....seems I'm the only one who DIDN'T know about the lack of fish this year.

So instead of spending $80 at the local pub for a B&B and lots more fishing (wanted to go up the Goulburn past Kevington to a place called Flour Bag Creek) I decided to head for the Eildon Pondage...it was about 3pm.

Crossed the river, past Jamieson brewery and up the range I go....corner into corner all the way, absolutely fantastic!

The link.... http://goo.gl/maps/QZCrCPzvH162

The road was fairly steep in places but relaxing riding all the same, only saw a few vehicles along the way. Some side tracks are purely for the view it seems...this one stops oh so suddenly...not as much as the landing over the edge.

Road for a long way straddles the Big River, but is devoid of fish at the moment I'm assured.....

Road wends it's way up and down, round and round for miles....great riding if your not in a hurry to get there....very rarely getting over 70klm's/hr.

With a 60 klm stretch of windies it's hard to judge distance and or orientate yourself...when I came upon this sign I was really confused...

It cannot be so....I am currently thirds the way from the top of the range I am on...Torbreck is another range. I would say that is not it.....

That may be it given its height...that trail does look interesting....  8)

But is indeed quite gnarly.....  :o :o

Pretty certain it's not Torbreck some quite some distance from it as I can see water down below....

That is not Big River with the track going next to it. That is lake water...dead trees, mud etc...

The track is a sand belt and you can see the lake levels etched into the shoreline....

Then this bird flew into my view (smallish dark bird amidships in the pic)

Pretty sure it's a Kurrawong as it imitated a whole range of birds that can be aggresive, I hear bush magpie, crow, hawk and it's own sudden Aaarg-Arg call. Was makin' right old carry on till I left. It was there I worked out later, I left my grouse MX gloves that allowed me to operate the camera on the bike. Here's an obligatory bike pic to mark the occasion....

I was impressed with this road (that I didn't even know existed) and I have earmarked it for a spring tour.

Funny how when riding either up or down for a long time you start to lose perspective....I pulled up to move this small branch hoggin' my side....

Stopped....killed the engine and put the stand down, still just on the tar...swingin' off the bike I sense I'm in deep sh_t...the bike was rolling forward and about to topple onto me and my left foot was sliding out sideways on slick leaves, bark and fine gravel.

One of them hop-skip-step-brakes-prop-save-"now what' events that lasts for ten minutes...or maybe ten seconds...dunno, I usually ride bikes.

Wrestled the bike upright and without further ado...just had enough energy to move the branch.

I rolled to the corner and bump started the bike at 20klms/hr. I had thought it was flat.

Came down back onto the Goulburn Valley hwy and headed over to the pondages for a look see but there was a mess of people there...looked like all the non experienced fisher types to me...lots of bread and corn, put it that way.

Here's the jaunt home..... http://goo.gl/maps/r9H3VhmFqq32

I stopped at Buxton on the way back where I had a smoke and time check...it was 6.09pm and I hadn't thought about my seat pad yet....but I did after that, I had reached my limit for the day....ot just riding a road I'd ridden just days before.

Was home at 7.15pm.

511 klms and 7.21 hours in the saddle. New rear tyre gave me 25.3klm/litre....up from 24.6.

Great days ride!

Cheers,
Chris.

Offline wayne61

• Yama-God
« Reply #258 on: January 09, 2016, 08:50:19 PM »
A great mornings read
Thanks mate
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

GRIP AND RIP CRAIG AND CHRISSO!!!

Online Martin I Henry

• Yama-God
  • Europe
    • Dave's Bikes
« Reply #259 on: January 10, 2016, 08:14:32 AM »
Once again, a fine read !

Cheers,

Dave R.