Author Topic: The day my hair turned grey....  (Read 53020 times)

Offline 2fITy.J

• Yama-God
  • To get ahead, it's one down, five up!
Re: The day my hair turned grey....
« Reply #200 on: January 11, 2015, 10:23:14 PM »
I was skirting the side of a small hill where the going was real easy, heading to a sharp gully when young Mr. Goanna stopped to check me out...(well that's what I hoped had happened) that he'd not ever seen the likes of me before as he stopped, tasted the air and slowly made a 3/4 arc around me, stopping every few paces to taste the air before making for they're typical "save face" by shinnying or running up a tall tree....

A beautiful specimen. They'll eat anything...well anything that can decompose at least.

They can blend in really well.....

I pressed on and soon found my goal, a creek wash with some residual water. But, it doesn't look like a great volume has come this way...still, it looks inviting, even the banks reveal some older flows.... :o

About an hour of shoveling and hand pumping saw about about 4 dirt loads to pan, but crikey I had turned the water to mud...was hard panning but brought some excellent results..... ;D

I went for more dirt but my previous efforts has angered the myriad of wasps about the place...they crave the mud to make their nests along the little overhangs of the creek...and under fallen or leaning trees. Angry little buggers...strewth, I've given them mud.....I'll do lunch somewhere else.
A bike in the bush is worth two in the shed!

BMW-BSA-Ducati-Honda-Kawasaki-Lambretta-Matchless-Norton-Suzuki-Triumph-Vespa-Yamaha.

Dirty Dozen '13 DR650SE - '90 DR650RS - '82 IT465J - '82 IT250J - '80 GT80G - '77 A100B - '76 DT100C - '76 TC125 - '75 TM75 - '73 MX80 -       '73 TC100K - '69 TC120-1

Offline 2fITy.J

• Yama-God
« Reply #201 on: January 11, 2015, 11:12:32 PM »
Yep, the thought of gettin' stung by wasps on such a steamy day was enough to drive me away....I re-shimmed by bearings as best I could at midday (where's north?) and headed to where I reckoned Cherry track ran, the three ridges I'd crossed all run north back up to my cherry ride.

Bingo, I was soon heading to my old camp spot and will do lunch....same old....cold meat, some fruit and iced coffee. Was getting warm, mid twenties and only a slight breeze in the trees.

My reckoning on secluded gullies seemed to be the go so I headed for some steep hills that I already know of and have a mosey around.....aha...a typical old track not used in yonks....

And after a kilometre or so it peters to just a hint of a track.....

Which becomes a creek..... :o

A strange one...it seems to be a new creek as it has adopted the path of an old track. There must be some kind of divergence upstream...or uphill as the case is.

I follow it up and soon come across the reason, and old creek bed erosion gully has collapsed in on itself, it's cut a new path onto an adjacent track...this should be interesting.....

I parked up and got my gear out...and took some of my layers of clothes off.

Muggy day, when it was like this with the light breeze it was okay....

But when the sun shone through it was hot......

This erosion gully is about 100m long and has two right angle corners, underlying bedrock is unmoving but old diggings and conglomerate soil is easy moved. The harder stand of the road was easy course for water and has stopped further erosion...weird still.

That quartz vein looks very enticing, some nice entrapments among that lot.....

Things were looking good, I soon found some gold leaf....

And good it was, results were very pleasing.....although the huge amount of frog spawn in the water made for some quite annoying froth bubbles that had me panning in circles. Paid off though.....

Some rather jagged edges reveals a short travel since being freed from host rock, may have even been reef mined and lost with crushing back in the day. The alluvial deposits presented less than 5% of the gold extracted from the area, the rest was dug up......there are many crushing dollies scattered about the place, there maybe ten forming the initial edge of my camp's fire mound.

It was now about three and my mind drifted to reality...better get on the highway before the traveling hoards all head back to the city. Traveling light has made it so easy, takes me less than a ciggie to pack and be underway. But this time I was packin' gold!

A bl__dy great ride day out in the aussie bush....oh yeah, saw no one!

;D ;D ;D ;D

Cheers,
Chris.

BMW-BSA-Ducati-Honda-Kawasaki-Lambretta-Matchless-Norton-Suzuki-Triumph-Vespa-Yamaha.

Dirty Dozen '13 DR650SE - '90 DR650RS - '82 IT465J - '82 IT250J - '80 GT80G - '77 A100B - '76 DT100C - '76 TC125 - '75 TM75 - '73 MX80 -       '73 TC100K - '69 TC120-1

Offline ashley

• Yama-Legend
« Reply #202 on: January 12, 2015, 09:04:39 PM »
Looks like Gold fever for you Chris well done, great story and pics as always enjoyed reading it....cheers Ashley

Offline 2fITy.J

• Yama-God
« Reply #203 on: January 12, 2015, 09:24:28 PM »
Any over your way Ash....?

Offline ashley

• Yama-Legend
« Reply #204 on: January 12, 2015, 10:04:39 PM »
None over this way, have heard there is the odd bit in the Adelaide hills. If there was gold near me I would never get any work done as it is some thing i would love to do. Built a small sluice box a wile ago but have not tried it yet...Ashley

Offline eyetee

• Yama-Legend
  • "IT seemed like a good idea at the time..."
« Reply #205 on: January 13, 2015, 08:43:01 PM »
Hooley Dooley! that's alot of catching up to do there...

Good one Chris, you have turned the mini adventures into a "mini series"  :D :D (hold that thought  ;))

Firstly, thanks for this:

Now that I have figured out how to sorta work google maps...here's where I took the pic from. (go to satellite)

http://www.google.com.au/maps/place/37%C2%B008'42.7%22S+145%C2%B016'05.5%22E/@-37.145198,145.26818,651m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0

Might have to stop at that carpark near the bridge for a look-see next time I'm ever up that way.

Wow, lots of new pics to look at. I didn't know the loggers were in the habit of dumping large numbers of logs to block people getting into certain places up there...

Great catch with the goanna, she's a beauty! and the gold- you might start a new 'rush' for the hills  :D

.......just lovin' this DR.   ;)
hold that thought too!  ;)

Good to see you new bike is serving you well and getting you to all these cool places, thanks for the pics, and the stories.

So....

I think it's only fitting to give you a little fun jingle of your own...

This is sung to the Leyland Brothers theme (of course!)  For overseas viewers you may need to youtube 'the leyland brothers'  to make any sense of this at all ??? :D

words spelt wrong to keep the 'sound' right...

THE DR LUV-EERS

Travel all over the country side,
(ask the dee-arr)
(ask the dee-arr)
heading up north through the great divide,
ask the dee-arr LUV-ERRS

What ever it is that you wanted to see
(ask the dee-arr)
(ask the dee-arr)
whether panning for gold or just having a pee
ask the dee-arr LUV-ERRS

C'mon join in, the thumper is fun, we'll travel all over the RAIN-GERS
(ask the dee-arr)
(ask the dee-arr)

LUV-ERRRRS

LUV-ERRRRS

dum   dum dum  dum dum  ding!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
I think I've been out in the sun for too long...  ;D

Cheers

Andrew

dark blue, sky blue, white, yellow and some turtles...

Offline 2fITy.J

• Yama-God
« Reply #206 on: January 13, 2015, 09:01:18 PM »
 :D :D :D :D You're a bl__dy wag Andrew....pearler post! Love those lyrics... 8)

;D :D :D ;D

Cheers,
Chris.

Offline eyetee

• Yama-Legend
  • "IT seemed like a good idea at the time..."
« Reply #207 on: January 13, 2015, 09:27:52 PM »
 ;D

All you need now is a spare DR tank (with decal) shoved on a post out the front with a curved envelope sticking out of the filler neck , and there's your new avatar!   :D :D :D :D ;D

Andrew
dark blue, sky blue, white, yellow and some turtles...

Offline 2fITy.J

• Yama-God
« Reply #208 on: March 09, 2015, 07:01:40 PM »
All my spare time (and space) for the last two months or so has been taken up customising a large fishing boat, after it's departure I spent the weekend cleaning up the debris.... ::)

Which gave me the chance today (Labour Day long weekend) to go for a decent ride....with a little fishing on the side.

So I casually headed up the mountains....I had to buy some live bait on the way (after 9am)....was easy to be casual today, heaps of tourists - way heaps!!

Just about every turn off from the highway was crowded with vehicles....probably waiting for other vehicles to rendezvous. I turned off at Narbethong and went to the mirror pond......but not before a blast through the pine plantations to....er, release some tension....well the bike needed to rev in anger as much as I.

That done I wound my way back to the pond from up the back of the area it drains...as I came down I could see a 4x4 with a roofrack tent parked on the track....I ducked as I went under the awning.... :D :D

No-one about though...... :o

Cool.

Set my rod onna twig...and went for an amble to see if the campers were fishing the other end.

No-one within sight. Was a fair amount of traffic exiting the area, plenty of 4x's and camp trailers....must have been at least twenty vehicles before the notion wore off on me and I ceased to hear them so to speak.

Saw my rod get a couple of tickles as I drew onna ciggie....was very tranquil. Quite cool, about 20c and a slight breeze....just enough to dapple the pond in the open sections.....was still doing it's mirror thing near the edges though.

Water looked inviting so I rigged up a handline with a worm on a hook...nothing else. I could see by the wave marks on a fallen tree that fish had jumped nearby as no other falls showed that telltale sign....

I rubbed some dust on about twenty feet of line above the hook and cast out...the dust helps keep the line aloft on the water....the weight of the hook will slowly take the line down. It's a good ploy as the bait is in view for a long time...the bottom is thick with twigs/leaves etc. I got many bites and hooked one decent trout but landing it with about 4' of over hanging shrubs at the water edge brought me undone. Re-rigged and tried again....took several casts before I got a touch again. No more serious takers though as I think all my touches were from way tiny fish. The one I hooked was well under the kilo.

Rod kept losing the bait and I suspect the same thing....small fry slowly stripping the worm off morsel by morsel.

What I did notice was the verdant surrounds....so much for our "long hot, dry summer" that was predicted....place looks more lush and green than back here at xmas. Heaps of birds and insects about too...Attenborough would have been pleased!

I heard voices above the buzz of flying critters and snap of bird beaks catchin' 'em.....aha, two weary lookin' dudes ambling up to the pond from the adjacent road.

G'day-g'day, g'day-g'day. They were father and son shooters....buggered and empty bagged. They were keen to talk bikes....the elephant between us.

Turns out young fella has a new fangled WR450 efi thingy that he hates as it boils all the time...the old fella is still fond of his WR500... ;)

Was hard not to break into a smirk that would've grown to rampant haughty laughter in no time.... :o :o

I pressed a wry grin and said I was happy with my no fuss thumper and super pleased with my IT's. Son gave the look of "I think I know what he means", I think the word vinduro threw him...meanwhile, the old man sounded like a kid all of a sudden as he gushed he started onna 175F and ran through all the Yammies he had up to his WR...which he still has....in storage (he looked way too unfit to ride too)

Come 2pm I packed, finished my ciggie and headed back to the throng. I felt relaxed enough to tackle the stream of traffic....slow lumbering traffic....back to the big smoke.

I reckon I saw 200-300 bikes along the way there and back and wondered if any of them actually did something or just did the ride....at approximately 50kph....for the sake of the ride. Every cafe or wayside stop had a gaggle of machinery parked...... ::)

Bugger that!

Cheers,
Chris.

Offline harko

• Yama-God
« Reply #209 on: March 09, 2015, 07:52:22 PM »
 :)

Thanks again Chris., Sold the camper trailer today so wont be too long before I'm enjoying all Vic has to offer.

Harko
Harko