Author Topic: The day my hair turned grey....  (Read 52996 times)

Offline Martin I Henry

• Yama-God
  • Europe
    • Dave's Bikes
Re: The day my hair turned grey....
« Reply #180 on: January 02, 2015, 08:37:22 PM »
Thanks Chris.
Once again a fine write-up of a great adventure.

It's good reading for us here in the Northern hemisphere, deep in the gloom of mid-winter !
Not so sure I could deal with those high temperatures.

Cheers,

Dave R.

Offline 2fITy.J

• Yama-God
  • To get ahead, it's one down, five up!
« Reply #181 on: January 02, 2015, 08:50:38 PM »
Thanks Dave.

Been a bit harsh actually...we've had a relatively mild build up this summer. No real high temps but overall the averages work out higher than previous years. But the highest so far has only been 32c (for half day only). Has been 20-23c the last week...all of a sudden it's 39c.

I was hoping that the higher country would have some respite but you can't escape the hot northerlies anywhere.

Beer is good.
A bike in the bush is worth two in the shed!

BMW-BSA-Ducati-Honda-Kawasaki-Lambretta-Matchless-Norton-Suzuki-Triumph-Vespa-Yamaha.

Dirty Dozen '13 DR650SE - '90 DR650RS - '82 IT465J - '82 IT250J - '80 GT80G - '77 A100B - '76 DT100C - '76 TC125 - '75 TM75 - '73 MX80 -       '73 TC100K - '69 TC120-1

Online chippy

• Yama-God
  • Ride to stay on.
« Reply #182 on: January 03, 2015, 11:04:08 AM »
Great read Chris. Another stinker today.
                                                    Cheers Rob.

Offline 2fITy.J

• Yama-God
« Reply #183 on: January 03, 2015, 03:47:35 PM »
Stinker alright....over 40 here now and windy as...TV is all about the fires too.... :o

Speaking of stinkers reminds me of the first time I went to that mirrored pond with my two boys who were budding teenagers. I was naturally fishing the pond when off down the road I could here my kids laughing and oohing and aahing....it got the better of me!

Set some bird bells on the rod and wandered down the road to find them piffing rocks at some road kill. A bl__dy great bloated wombat, legs splayed and guts blown up like a balloon. Rocks were bouncing off quite some distance and humoured my sons no end. Eldest grabs a big rock and lunges forward across the road like a weird shot putter and lobs the rock fair on it's gut....POOOF!

Hot green and black sh_t went squirting out as the gut split like a pair of tight trousers....it missed Rick my son but crikey did it stink. We all dry reached and that smell stayed with us for days.

Lads learnt a lesson that day....same way I did decades ago..... :D

Now, back to cooling off...... 8) 8) ;D

BMW-BSA-Ducati-Honda-Kawasaki-Lambretta-Matchless-Norton-Suzuki-Triumph-Vespa-Yamaha.

Dirty Dozen '13 DR650SE - '90 DR650RS - '82 IT465J - '82 IT250J - '80 GT80G - '77 A100B - '76 DT100C - '76 TC125 - '75 TM75 - '73 MX80 -       '73 TC100K - '69 TC120-1

Offline Convert

• Yama-Idol
  • Trusty old girl
« Reply #184 on: January 03, 2015, 06:00:25 PM »
Great read Chris you got it all worked out don't ya supers way to spend a day , I learned or should I say was reminder of a lesson I know all so well but sometimes your guard comes down and get a get out of jail free card .

On Sunday last week we left glenaladale and headed over towards the wannangatt river where we had a mate waiting with fuel so we could  reach areas we normally couldn't reach due to fuel range . It was about 110 Kim to reach him , when we came of the trails up onto the fire road we had about 10 Kim of Fire road to get to the camp ground to re fuel ,  holiday makers everywhere and really dry and dusty , we were riding one out to avoid the dust and soon came up on a 4wd with camper in tow so visibility is now zero , could go past with the fear of a surprise switchback so I sat out in the middle of the road just cruising while a mate sat tight to my rleft then f__k me a all I saw was a hilux grill and 2 headlights bust out of the campers dust cloud , couldn't go hard left because of my mate , couldn't squeeze between so lucky for me the p plater in the hilux had the nouse to swerve left and make a gap which I gratfully powered through ...... Yep it did turn a little more Grey , i know better and I preach stay left , and I also preach if you can't see because of dust drop back .....  Maybe it was the 110 Kim of trails we had already covered or maybe it was me thinking about the 110 km of trails that we had coming up but goes to show you can never let your guard down otherwise you will come off second best every time ... My lucky day .
1988 CR250 R
1989 CR 250 R
2011 Husaberg TE 300 ( l love this one )
IT 465 H

Offline 2fITy.J

• Yama-God
« Reply #185 on: January 03, 2015, 06:41:26 PM »
Strewth Zeb....that'd put the wind up me for sure. Good recovery!

Cheers,
Chris.

Offline 2fITy.J

• Yama-God
« Reply #186 on: January 07, 2015, 03:07:15 PM »
Was all packed (still am) for an early start this morning for a three leg-one night camp-fossicking ride....from Yea, up to Graytown and camp overnight and then across to Creswick before returning. Storms were due tomorrow arvo....on a gut feel I went back to sleep, the stormy front came 24hrs early..... ;D

Been trolling through old pics for dodgy repairs and came across these showing the drought years.... ;)

The view from my bench seat (closest part of the only through road is only about 300m away) I heard no traffic at all when I was there and rarely do. The drought breaking rains have once again obscured the camp from that only road vantage area......

Back then you could see all the way down to the road.....this was not long after some light rain which made for good riding!!

Offline 2fITy.J

• Yama-God
« Reply #187 on: January 08, 2015, 06:36:10 PM »
Fairly glad I didn't head off yesterday as some of the storms were quite violent....didn't get the camera unpacked till after the mayhem had died down.... ::) But there were many close lightning strikes and very strong winds...then it bucketed down and even some hail. Weird thing was it was 39c.

I took this pic prior to packing the bike for an overnighter....needless to say I didn't take the sleeping bags and mattress (in yellow bag), I also made a new improved gravel lifter (in front) Golf ball stuck on a rod that slides into the 40mm PVC pipe......

Was surprised to see 98 octane at $1.25/litre....good coz I had just gone to reserve (had made 232 klms for 10 litres) Traffic was light, it was muggy and already 26c at 8am. Toolangi forest section was a nice blast, still some wet patches after passing showers. Seems that was the norm for the day....warm, muggy with intermittent showers.

Was soon off the highway and into the rollings hills just north of Kinglake's lush mountain ash forests....here it is considerably drier!

Looking south towards Melbourne....

Turning counter clockwise, looking SE.....

East.......

NE......

North.....

NW.........

West.......

WSW...........

SSW.......you can see the much darker green Kinglake area forest in the background. Kinglake and Toolangi forests are zippered by the highway heading to Yea.

Looking up the valley on the right of the above pic shows lots of dead trees from now 10 year old bushfires......

You can see the copse of dead trees close to the farmhouses....scary.  :o

One thing every farmer does, no matter where the place is, is put an effort into the front gate....this guy needs a special easement to access his meagre acreage....

Battler's farms are struggling, needing too many sheep per acre to make a living from the earth which does not agree, hills are just a few hot northerly's shy of being dust.....

Compared to the 100-300 acre farms (and myriad small acre hobby farms), the vast expanses of the well heeled and historical Kerrisdale (measured in kilometres) has hills adorned with foot high stubble, even after bailling........

Strath creek was bone dry and the only access to it without climbing a fence saw a creek bed where cows had been all through the verges and made a real mess of the place. The only water I saw was the ponds near the town itself. I decided to head for the middle section of King Parrot Creek as the top section strays far from the road and was mostly inaccessible at bridges as blackberries were left rampant.

Just north (downstream) of Strath Creek township the road follows the King Parrot Creek valley but alas is all private property apart from one reserve (no panning)....so first bridge I came to I went and had a gander.....

Fairly large pond that seemed okay for fishing but not good for extracting sand/gravel from......

Downstream looks inviting but a short walk revealed an electric fence and a wall of thistle, nettles and blackberries growing in ti-tree saplings.....Kerrisdale's back door was shut!

The fence lines on the other side of the creek were only metres away from the road.

Upstream beckoned..... ;D

Offline 2fITy.J

• Yama-God
« Reply #188 on: January 08, 2015, 08:24:23 PM »
Upstream......

Pond extends about 30m each side of the bridge, upstream's view is a series of ponds......

Riverside going was hard yakka....lots of tall clingy grass that has fallen over, plenty of big thistles, fallen trees, logs and holes!

Abandoned Wombat tunnel nearly had me, coming from the top side there's no fresh path to show the entrance...... :o

When I first pulled up at the bridge I saw something causing ripples across the other side along the vertical grass covered bank, I slowly walked down the bank, keen not to make a thud sound that would vibrate in the creek. I snapped those downstream pics and at the end of the log in the water I was perched on I could see a small turtle glide by about 1' under the surface. Still wearing my yellow jacket, when it saw me it vanished in a swirl of bulging water for the dark depths of the pond. Hmmm. Don't like catching turtles at all, they have a vicious bite and besides being slippery they are strong, and the last thing you want is to be cut by the shell edge.... :o :o

Having fished plenty of tiny streams and unlikely places for fish I knew the need for quiet, so naturally I'd try fishing before I start stirring upstream  waters nearby.

I baited up my line with fake maggots and set it up just at the last water divergence before the long pond.....and had smoko....or brunch.  ;D ;D

Couple of cold cooked snags, few spoon fulls of pasta salad and healthy swig of iced coffee.

Was very warm, I was down to shorts, t-shirt and aqua shoes. The odd rain shower was nice but seem to make the walking even more treacherous, suddenly things got slippery...then sticky as it dried and then just plain muggy again.

No nibbles, bait not even touched....an hour at least. I tried a small spinning lure but the lure of gold was too strong..... ::)

I set the triple hooks of the spinner with fake maggots and propped it dangling just off the bottom of the pond....more in vain hope than any great trick I've discovered.....that's not to say I haven't done it before but that's usually when being too lazy to change traces...... :D :D

Anyway, gave my new gravel lifter a go....it seemed promising in the sink at home.  I screwed a small socket to the side of a golf ball with a tek screw. The golf ball needed a couple wraps with masking tape to make a good sliding fit down a 40mm (ID) PVC pipe. A 450mm length of PVC conduit  was tapped over the socket....this was the pump handle. The 40mm pipe had one end blocked with a rubber wheel, though this went a 20mm pipe that extended 40mm out and 40mm in (past the rubber wheel) This gave me a stoke of about 400mm x 40mm bore. That's a lot of suction.

It worked extremely well...for about half an hour. After lifting a large rock away near a fall in bed contour, I had been sucking up sand and gravel on the down side, panning each sieve full as I go, usually only three pumps.

Things were going swimmingly until eagerness....nay....fever, got the better of me!   :D :D

I yanked too aggressively on the pump handle and it parted from the socket. Dang. I tried pushing the conduit back on but what had also happened was the tape had rolled....it was jammed. Wouldn't go down even.

Fail.
Need to find a better fitting ball.
Spending is not an option.

Pass.
I found gold.
Not much, but considering it was from under the first rock I lifted..... 8)

Heartened by that (finding gold by myself) and knowing I can solve the gravel suckers problem, I did lunch. Some buttered bread, cold lamb chops smeared with pasta salad, a nectarine and a mandarine....was not real smart to wash that down with iced coffee though....milk and citrus... :o :o

Did I mention I was soaked through...... ::)

I didn't seem to feel the light rain showers standing in the creek, the air temperature is about 30c and quite muggy. Under the bridge was coolish.

Okay, it had been a while since I disturbed the creek I would see if I can scrounge some live bait and try for some fish. Lifted a couple of pillow sized boulders right on the waters edge and came up with 4 very lively red earthworms...skinny buggers that thrash about like having a tanty.

Set a hook trace with a half worm and tried just below the first little divergence again...strewth, within a minute I'd hooked a little fish..... :o

But....it's doing a remarkable impersonation of this one adorning the face of a large display board.......

Yep, protected....dang!

I hooked another three of them perch...they all looked like clones, exact same size and colour. I gave up when I had to cut the hook off as the little fecker had guts'd the whole thing. The sign says there are less than twenty such reaches in Australia with these perch still surviving...well they're doing well here.

Seem to recall saying the same thing about Black fish up in the granite ponds of Tallangalook creek this time last year..... ::)

Storms were brewing up, the wind picked up and the showers had some angle to them. Wasn't wet weather gear but could be, still warm and muggy but I decided to head home...reasonably content with my day. Autumn rains should spell a more lucrative result.

What has changed greatly in this area (since my last sojourn about here back in the eighties), is the amount of people living here.....and alpacas, goats, donkeys, camels, and some of the weirdest looking sheep I've ever seen.....some had f__kin' jumpers on...strewth, it's summer!

And a lot of the roads are now bitumen, I only did about 40-50klm on dirt..... :(

Nah...it was a good day.... :D :D

Cheers,
Chris.

Offline Jock

• Owner
  • Yama-God
    • Vinduro
« Reply #189 on: January 08, 2015, 08:55:47 PM »
Poor little Macquarie Perch, the stupid European Carp f___ked them right up... Nearly made them extinct.

A fine little specimen that one, and very good to see that they are still alive and surviving.

Cheers

Jock