Author Topic: Ride Report: Riding the WR500 on Bois Blanc Island in Michigan, USA  (Read 1489 times)

Offline ws6transam

• Yama-Idol
  • It's like having Two two-fifties under your seat.
    • My Trans Am website. 425 RWHP!
Re: Ride Report: Riding the WR500 on Bois Blanc Island in Michigan, USA
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2009, 02:08:19 PM »

Sample image showing my GPS log of the trail we took. This is from the next day, when we revisited the trail. Unfortunately, you know how I mentioned how you need to take a chainsaw with you? Well, while we were gone, two thirty-foot tall cedars fell across the road, completely cutting us off! On one side of the road, there was a neck-deep bog, and on the other, was an impassable tangle of fallen trees. The cedars were 18 inches off the ground, and were 20 to 24 inches thick each. They had fallen in parallel with one another, and were just 30 inches away from each other! There was no way to go over, no way to go around, and no way to go under. So, Ted and I had to go the long way around to get back home. It added about 40 minutes onto our bike ride, and at one point during the trip, the GPS logged 62 MPH on the backroads home... (All roads are posted 25 MPH but we were already late for supper)

...more later.
1992 Yamaha WR500
1983 Yamaha IT250K
1984 Pontiac Trans Am "Excitement"
See it and hear it at: http://www.fquick.com/ws6transam

Offline ws6transam

• Yama-Idol
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2009, 02:16:25 PM »
Yeah Jock, that's the place! It's rapidly becoming one of out favorite vacation destinations, what with the fact you have the island practically to yourself, and it's teeming with wildlife like white tail deer, Turkey, red fox, a dozen varieties of snakes, eagles, hawks, loons, herons, and more!  Ted and I are already looking forward to August 2010 when we can put the bikes onto the island, this time with cameras, camcorders, and GPS loggers. We're going to try and map a few more of those mysterious two-tracks. We're sure we can cut through the interior of the island: The roads once existed a century ago when the island was being actively logged.  You get to it via Ferry out of Cheboygan, Michigan.
1992 Yamaha WR500
1983 Yamaha IT250K

Offline RacerBoy

• Yama-Rookie
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2009, 07:32:46 PM »
the place is so green, very where I've ridden lately its dry and very dusty
1983 IT490K, 1985 YZ250N, 2005 YZ250F, 2007 WR450F

Offline Griffo

• Yama-God
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2009, 07:55:28 PM »
That Place looks like Heaven! :-* :-* :-* :-*
SV1000S K3, IT465H x3, MX80, DS80, YZ250 09, YZ250 85, + a couple of Dirt Turtles...

Offline ws6transam

• Yama-Idol
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2009, 10:51:20 PM »
More pictures, just click on the photo for the "big" view.

Laura and Jason explore the rocks off the shore of Bois Blanc, with Round Island behind them. Remember folks, this is a fresh water lake, and it's clear and pure enough to drink.

Austin and Julia play on the shore with the snorkels. Eventually we were about 300 feet out with the snorkels, in 1.25 metre deep water. In other places the shore drops off quickly and you can see the dishwasher sized boulders at the crystal clear bottom, about 10M down. Most of these rocks were shaved off the bedrock by glaciers between 15,000 and 100,000 years ago. Michigan's lakes were carved by glaciers in three different glacial events. In some places around the great lakes, the water reaches a depth of over 600 feet, roughly 200M.

Laura, Jason, and Karen on the north beach. The north shore of the island requires some tricky driving and sometimes a chainsaw. Thus, it's not used very much. This was the and shore on which the American navy hid during the war of 1812 when they prepared to assault the British Navy at Mackinaw Island during the war of 1812.

The Mackinaw Bridge connects the upper and lower penninsulas of Michigan. Built in 1957, it is continuously being serviced for corrosion control, and is the world's longest suspension bridge, even longer than the Golden Gate bridge. Those central towers are nearly 500 feet tall and the bridge can be seen from space. The bridge is seen from Lime Kiln point, on the west end of the island. It's about 5.6 miles away in this photograph.

An iron ore freighter, nearly 900 feet long, cruises through the straights of Mackinaw. It was also about five miles away from me when I took this photograph. At night, you can hear the low rumbling of the ship's engines long before you can even see their running lights.

1992 Yamaha WR500
1983 Yamaha IT250K