Author Topic: The day my hair turned grey....  (Read 48331 times)

Offline 2fITy.J

• Yama-God
  • To get ahead, it's one down, five up!
The day my hair turned grey....
« on: December 01, 2013, 04:05:57 PM »
Dang...I had a prang!

My beloved '89 build DR650RS has smacked the country. First time in over four years of riding daily that the bike has ever been on its side. No major damage and I only have a badly sprained big toe.

But, so much for Echuca...... ::)

Plan was, leave satdy morning for my weekend away...first stop, my secluded dam near Redcastle to try for a feed of yabbies and some dirtwork. Thing is I didn't get away til 1pm and didn't set my first yabby net till after 3pm.....leaving me precious little time to catch, cook and devour and then go onto Stewart's Bridge vinduro, a further 2 hour ride. So I decided to camp the night and adopt plan B. Head off sunday at 6-6.30am for the vinduro to take pics.

Anyway, I set two drop nets and went for a ride....did about 7-8klm through the trees, goldmines and just visible old cart tracks. About 2klms from camp I was in a new area and had lost the track I was on but knew my bearings. Making a beeline down an incline the now unliked front tyre (Trailwing that has served me well) started drifting wide in a right turn on the thick carpet of leaves and were heading for some arm thick saplings...doing 25klm's I'd say. In an effort to gain some control I snatched left and headed straight downhill instead of the angle I was cutting....missed the saplings now on my right okay but before I could go for brakes I was airborne....

Landing was for laughs only and pitched me straight into a 5 feet deep depression, this is where the DR smacked country. Rocks, leaves and the remains of a tree stump stopped it. It wasn't a hole as such but more the ground all around an old tree has been built up with mullock. Took me an hour to muscle the bike out of there. I was acutely aware I had damaged my right big toe...dunno exactly how. I rue changing boots.

3pm....campsite has not been touched. Fireplace is all good and the log bench is all intact...even the wood I left last time. Quite a few saplings are taking over the campsite even......

Caught total 33 with both nets first lift......they're hungry too!

Said minor damage....from a tree stump that left a graze on my glove....screen is shagged.

Mirror stalk has cracked the thread as it over-tightened on impact.....

Right sidecover copped it hard, I think my foot was caught in there against rocks...there was no-one to asked what happened!

After extracting the bike and returning I had heaps of yabbies and it wasn't until dusk that I settled back for dinner.....

Had a feast and thanked my lucky stars. Went to bed about 10pm but could not sleep. Cramping badly and with a sore big toe I tossed and turned. By 4am plan C was comin' about.

A leisurely morning, take some live yabbies and head home.

I can barely walk. Riding the bike was a blessing, it was about 30c at lunch time I'd say and climbing.

I left......

....and brought these with me.....

Standing at the back of the bike once she was unloaded I was surveying the dust, mud and leaves/twigs on the bike and noticed I was being watched...both dangling mirrors revealed my hair had turned grey....

Cheers,
Chris.
A bike in the bush is worth two in the shed!

BMW-BSA-Ducati-Honda-Kawasaki-Lambretta-Matchless-Norton-Suzuki-Triumph-Vespa-Yamaha.

Dirty Dozen '13 DR650SE - '90 DR650RS - '82 IT465J - '82 IT250J - '80 GT80G - '77 A100B - '76 DT100C - '76 TC125 - '75 TM75 - '73 MX80 -       '73 TC100K - '69 TC120-1

Offline Martin I Henry

• Yama-God
  • Europe
    • Dave's Bikes
Re: The day my hair turned grey....
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 08:48:44 PM »
Ouch, that hurt !
Solo riding has it's perils !

Quite a bit of plastic damage there. Are you going to repair and replace, or just clean-up and live with ?

Mend quick.

Cheers,

Dave R.

Offline Convert

• Yama-Idol
  • Trusty old girl
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 09:13:16 PM »
Chris as long a your ok mate the rest is fixable ...
1988 CR250 R
1989 CR 250 R
2011 Husaberg TE 300 ( l love this one )
IT 465 H

Offline dirt turtle

• Yama-Idol
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 09:53:17 PM »
Hey chris,sorry about your bike mate. I bet those yabbies lifted your spirits. I love yabbies. Thanks for sharing. The story that is. ;)

cheers scott.
you cant beat the smell of 2stroke-on a cool morning-wen heading off on an adventure!

Offline rosey250

• Yama-God
  • Me n Barbie
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 10:20:29 PM »
Sorry to hear of your 'off' , and resultant damage. We missed you at Stewarts Bridge.
Enjoy your yabbies!!
Rosey

Sent from my iPhone using TapityTapTapTapper-type tap (ish)
Major sponsor - Echuca Mazda BT-50

Offline Brooksie

• Yama-God
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 11:50:42 PM »
Glad you're ok Chris. Could have been worse if you dropped it on the tar. At least you get to rest up and enjoy those yabbies.
No rush, there's plenty of time. Do it next week, what could have been done today.

Offline mungus

• Yama-Hero
  • TT600, IT200 & YZ465
The day my hair turned grey....
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 03:09:21 AM »
Know how you feel... I crashed my own ADV bike last March. Dropped my BMW F8GS in the b__tard sand, on my left ankle, not once but 3 times over a weekend in the Pink deserts in NE Vic. My foot swelled up like a football and bruised out pink and blue. It took me a month to stop limping and around 6 months it feel really right... And the bike? Not a scratch.
And yes, my hair is going grey!
Cranky old git!

Offline 2fITy.J

• Yama-God
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 04:31:51 PM »
Cheers fellas...  ;)

I will live with it Dave, for the time I have had the bike and the amount of tracks I've traveled it needed some battle scars...without a swag of pics on my phone I have a hard time convincing people where I've been on it.

I may repair it when I get another bike that is on my list.

No rest today, work was the pits Brooksie....can't complain, some here don't have jobs atm.

Figuring the temperatures at Redcastle I reckon the turn south did me the world of good yesty, I really did enjoy those yabs last night. Slept well with an elevated foot but the heat and work boots today made it a long one. Icey water footbath when I got home felt relieving but the swelling makes walking difficult.

I can move the toe independently but not very much, I can bend it further using my leg to push. Can't feel anything stabbing-stinging-crunching. Those who've cracked things will know the feelin'.

This time last year I was limping with similar damage to my left big toe! Did that at Cookardinia on the saturday cutting the track on my TC125 (  :D )

....wasn't wearing my riding boots, nor was I wearing them on saturday just gone..... ::)

That's the worst bit of the whole episode as I wasn't expecting to get so far into life without a mass of grey hair anyhow!

Cheers,
Chris.

BMW-BSA-Ducati-Honda-Kawasaki-Lambretta-Matchless-Norton-Suzuki-Triumph-Vespa-Yamaha.

Dirty Dozen '13 DR650SE - '90 DR650RS - '82 IT465J - '82 IT250J - '80 GT80G - '77 A100B - '76 DT100C - '76 TC125 - '75 TM75 - '73 MX80 -       '73 TC100K - '69 TC120-1

Offline scotty

• Yama-God
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2013, 05:00:26 PM »
Did you get a picture of the rest of the Yowie or just his feet  ;D.Sorry mate did you bash it against something on landing or wrench it on launch,either way it looks very tender and painful have you had anyone look at it that swelling goes a long way for a toe injury,old favourite pain killer of mine is ibuprofen and paracetamol together (1 or 2 of each),best I've come across so far gets things down to a dull ache legally.
IT 490K x 2,IT 250J,YZ 465H,KTM 525 EXC,ZX12R

Offline 2fITy.J

• Yama-God
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2013, 05:23:58 PM »
Dunno....landed hard against the grain so to speak and bounced-pitched to the right, wheels landed square to momentum and slam-dunked me. Bike was tankside down into a funnel shaped hole. Can't tell where/what I hit with my foot....this all happened in 1-2 secs.

There is a definite symmetry with last years effort. This is possibly bit worse as last year I went on to do the vinduro on the sunday (and did a good compliment of loops) This time I woozed out from even taking photos.

I can't do the pill thing, they seem to work on all other aspects of my body, leaving me to concentrate solely on the painful part.

Keeping occupied has always been my medicine.....  8)

....NURSE!