Author Topic: Yet another Dave restoring another IT200  (Read 16208 times)

Offline Bigshorts

• Yama-God
Yet another Dave restoring another IT200
« on: July 07, 2013, 02:57:28 PM »
thought I might catalogue the IT rebuild online .. should be as boring as bat poo for all the learned and educated IT owners on this site, however it will give me a place to hide from my domestic responsibilities and provide a forum to complain and moan about things that I should know better than to complain and moan about

Picked up a 200 after many (and currently still) IT 490's, I had heard so much about them and frankly the 490, while still my first love seems to win the battle of "how long you can hold on", much more frequently in recent years, so perhaps something not quite as heavy and hard to kick, while still having all the nostalgia an IT from the 80's can bring.

I must profess to being a YZ/IT tragic, my first ever bike a yz80a then B, then C .. first registered bike was IT 175, bought it near new (demo) and remember the joy of bringing it home then modifying the poor thing to death , with highly unskilled hands I might add, her crowning glory was a bright blue flat slide carb I had bought from a friend, I can't for the life of me remember the brand (possibly lectron ..maybe not?), where they tough?, were they what!, I recall the bike running terribly after I had completed some of the aforementioned unskilled work, couldn't figure it out, It was blowing head gaskets and running worse that a labour party election campaign, Rode it from Canberra to  the south coast (around 100 mile I guess), don't think I ever made it into top gear, stopping with some friends at Ulladulla I pulled the bike down and discovered my deliberate mistake (any guess's)

So enough of my histrionics, stop the prattle and move on to the build, bought this from a Gent in Tasmania, who had spent a lot of $ on getting the Gearbox all sorted (for that I am grateful), although it was in good order I couldn't resist the urge to prissy it all up, as it turns out, it needed a bit more than first expected, and as many of you would already know the best way to create more work is to go digging ..

When someone hands you a flyer, it’s like they’re saying “Here, you throw this away.”

IT200 IT490 WR2500 IT175G x2  Ariel Red Hunter .. lots of parts unknown

Offline Bigshorts

• Yama-God
Re: Yet another Dave restoring another IT200
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 03:30:46 PM »

The easy part and often most fun, stripping it down, doesn't take long, suspension was in need of a rework, so I pulled it apart, sent it to get recharged and re chromed, more appropriate spring and new bearings, hydro blast the for legs and had better valves put in

When someone hands you a flyer, it’s like they’re saying “Here, you throw this away.”

Offline mungus

• Yama-Hero
  • TT600, IT200 & YZ465
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 03:41:06 PM »
Where did you get your rear spring?
Looking for one myself. Bit heavier than std.
Cranky old git!

Online Martin I Henry

• Yama-God
  • Europe
    • Dave's Bikes
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 03:44:34 PM »

I pulled the bike down and discovered my deliberate mistake (any guess's)

Piston the wrong way round ?

I'm guessing you'll beat me to the finish line Dave, I'm starting to run out of money !

Dave R.

Offline gothamit

• Yama-God
  • BOP New Zealand
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 03:49:39 PM »
 Rag in the air box?
 Of coarse have never done it myself  ::)
1982 IT250J  1992 WR500  1993 WR250

Offline Bigshorts

• Yama-God
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 04:42:35 PM »

I knew there were clever builders on this site, yes it was in fact the daily double, piston on backwards and my singlet had somehow made its way into the air box (didn't discover that for another 40 miles or so ..), amazing how much better they run with the arrow pointing forward  ;D :D

Offline Bigshorts

• Yama-God
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2013, 04:57:56 PM »

Frame had a little crack in it and had the mandatory broken blinker mounts, repair, sandblast and powder coat, just like a bought one out of a shop ..
should mention that frame and engine numbers match (YAY), refurb the air box, which means I have to wait the wife to leave the houses so I can use the sink ;D
came up a treat - talking of which I fitted new bearings to them and the frame.

Offline Bigshorts

• Yama-God
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2013, 05:02:05 PM »
Frame and air box - then a quick trial fit up ..  just noticed that I am still stuffing rags into the air box, thought I would have learnt :D

Offline Bigshorts

• Yama-God
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2013, 05:15:40 PM »
during disassembly I noted the swing arm was damaged I am guessing some one drilled through the arm to mount buddy / pillion pegs and there seems to be a lot of damage where the (again guessing) side stand was rubbing, in the end I couldn't save it and found a very nice and very cheap one on the bay, cleaned up with a brush and a polish over the next weekend or two ..  I fitted all new bearings to the arm, pivot and connector, couple of well placed stickers and possibly even a coat of clear and it will be like a bought one out of a shop he he.

Offline Bigshorts

• Yama-God
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2013, 05:30:26 PM »
fitted wide pegs ..cause I got wide feet!, I used these designed for a WR250 2001, as they use the same pin size, you do need to grind a few mill of the bottom and the resting face to get the angle right, I know there are easier methods but ...