Author Topic: Yamaha DT125 in action, Tallarook, 2013  (Read 1343 times)

Offline Tex

• Yama-Rookie
Yamaha DT125 in action, Tallarook, 2013
« on: May 31, 2013, 05:22:14 PM »
The 1977 DT125 has sat unused in my aside from a few driveway excursions since I bought it two years or more ago. I had an inside tip that the loop at the Tallarook vinduro on May 26 would not be an insurmountable task for a smaller bike.

I didn’t start preparing the DT until well after the sun had gone down on Saturday.  I have moved to a different house with a longer driveway, and luckily it was a very moonlit night when I mixed up some premix and took the DT for a few blasts.

I was horrified to discover that it would not rev out at all. When I took out the air filter element it ran fine. Quite well for a 35 year old 125cc trailbike in fact.  I took a look at the complex chambered airbox and decided to run it without a filter and see if I could work out a better solution in the daylight.

I put the headlight together, fixed the wonky rear wheel spacers with something slightly less wonky, put a few bits and pieces back on and decided it was good enough for vinduro use. It was very late and I was tired. This half baked preparation would come back to haunt me the next day!

At Tallarook I decided to wait until all the other riders had gone out before I set off. I was immediately impressed by the DT. I don’t know if the guy on a DR250 that I passed within a few minutes was though!

To say I was surprised by the DT’s capability is an understatement. Given its obvious limitations it went, stopped and soaked up the bumps surprisingly well.

It tackled the steepest, rock strewn hill without too much fuss. When I got to the top and stopped for a chat with a mate who was also on a small bike (Hodaka 100). He was impressed as he’d ridden up the easy route to the top. I hadn’t even realised there was one!  The little bike has more low down torque than I’d ever have guessed, let down only by slightly tall gearing. It chugged up every hill, albeit in first gear for some of them.

Discount Motorcycle Wreckers had sorted me out with a nicely priced new Cheng Shin rear tyre. I was going to replace the cracked and weathered trials universal on the front with a slightly better Dunlop dual purpose tyre I had lying around but ran out of time. As it turned out this combo worked pretty well. The brand new rear knobby performed brilliantly. I was surprised at how well the front tyre coped though, and am thinking I’ll leave it on for now. It’s probably the original item from 1977!

I examined the air filter in the light and discovered it was made from some impenetrable foam that resembled carpet. That’s what I get for buying cheap crap from ebay. Conditions weren’t too dusty so I decided to continue sans filter.  It wouldn’t be for too much longer anyway.

On the fourth lap a crunching sound, and a fellow rider pointing at my rear wheel heralded the end of the DT’s first vinduro.  As I surveyed the twisted brake arm, and chain adjuster I assumed that the low hanging equipment had collected one of the many rocks that this area is famous for. It dawned on me though that the most likely cause was the brake stay that had come away from the frame, allowing the backing plate to rotate and the cause chaos. I couldn’t remember tightening the bolts the night before.

So I limped back to the pits with only four laps of the 3.5km loop done. Luckily I had a second bike (XT250) with me, but I was disappointed as I’d really enjoyed riding the DT. I’ll repair the damage, make a few improvements and take it for another ride soon.

Tex

Offline 4V5

• Yama-God
Re: Yamaha DT125 in action, Tallarook, 2013
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 05:41:22 PM »
Very cool write-up!! The little DT sounds like it was a hoot to ride  8)

Cheers!
Leslie
IT465x4 IT400C IT175F YZ465G YZ250C YZ250WR XJ650G RD350LC RD250LCx5 DT175Nx3 TW200x2 DT200L DT200R RT3 RX100G GT80F YZ80L PW50J KH250B1 KZ250D1 PE175C TS250ER TS185ER AG175B AG100

Offline 2fITy.J

• Yama-God
  • To get ahead, it's one down, five up!
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 09:27:34 PM »
Well done Tex, I saw a fair bit of the little DT out on  the loop. Sure wishin' I had organised a lift for me and the TC125.

Cheers,
Chris.
A bike in the bush is worth two in the shed!

BMW-BSA-Ducati-Honda-Kawasaki-Lambretta-Matchless-Norton-Suzuki-Triumph-Vespa-Yamaha.

Dirty Dozen '13 DR650SE - '90 DR650RS - '82 IT465J - '82 IT250J - '80 GT80G - '77 A100B - '76 DT100C - '76 TC125 - '75 TM75 - '73 MX80 -       '73 TC100K - '69 TC120-1

Offline Convert

• Yama-Idol
  • Trusty old girl
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 10:18:45 PM »
Wow this brings back some memories , my first bike , I remember the old man spitting the dummy when I told him the guy selling it wanted 250 bucks for it ..... The seller who was a neighbour said I could pay it off so I got a paper round and it took me 11 months to pay for it which included by birthday money .... Man I loved that bike . 
1988 CR250 R
1989 CR 250 R
2011 Husaberg TE 300 ( l love this one )
IT 465 H