Author Topic: REVIVED: 1975 Yamaha TY250 Resto  (Read 2848 times)

Offline cabmkr

• Yama-Hero
REVIVED: 1975 Yamaha TY250 Resto
« on: May 09, 2012, 09:35:03 PM »
« on: November 03, 2012, 11:49:54 PM »

Well gents, here is my build on my 75 Ty250. I picked these up for $400 in March 2011

And the 1977

The 75 was stuck from sitting (gumed up rings and piston) and the 77 ran but the clutch was making funny noises

I pulled them apart sometime in the summer and got the 75 frame sandblasted last fall.
Turns out the 77 had a 320 kit in it.

I tend to do my rebuilds in stages, first its get it tiedied so its rideable the the finish details to make it right. Also as I have my 81 YZ I wasnted to do this was to be the economy rebuild for the time being. So I painted the frame, refinished the forks and rebuild, cleaned the head bearings and stole bars, controls and shocks of my Hodaka.

They look so much better at this stage.

I got into the motors and the 75 transmission had water in it and was rough, so it has a 77 transmission and crank and exaust with a 75 clutch, cylinder and cases. Also i found that the 77 clutch had diferent gearing on it.

I got it running by this point with a new rod and main bearings and seals. The 2nd over piston was ok so honed the cyliner and put in new rings. after about 30 kicks got it running Sad  After about a week of scratching my head i thought I should take the carb back off and check all the circuts again. I cleaned the carb already but turned out I didnt get the choke circut clened out in the bowl (completly blocked) now it starts in 2-3 kicks.

Quote:
I see your '77 has the shocks repositioned like a Majesty model, plus the 320cc topend. Any other good mids on that bike? The shocks look like marzochhis?
Keeps us updated.

Drtbkr

Yes the 77 has the top rear mounts moved, the swigarm they left in the stadard position. And you are right on the shocks Marzochis but in rough condition.

I was saved on a few of the hard to get parts, the glass seat cowl and seat saved by retired trial guy who has a shop 10 min from me. He gets stuff from Sammy Miller all the time and is a Beta dealer. He has lots of the bits I would have ordered in stock and even lent me a few bits till the new ones came in.

New fenders, cables and tensioner.
Of course the seat pan was in not the best shape so I made one out of alloy.

And recovered for the time being with an old YZ seat cover.

Bikes.....Lost count!

Offline Jock

• Owner
  • Yama-God
    • Vinduro
Re: REVIVED: 1975 Yamaha TY250 Resto
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 12:04:19 PM »
Lovely bike! Thanks for sharing your resto.

Offline cabmkr

• Yama-Hero
Re: REVIVED: 1975 Yamaha TY250 Resto
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 03:39:06 AM »
Here it is tidied up, with new skins, pipe cover and relocated foot pegs. It will get new shocks in the spring

Chris
Bikes.....Lost count!