Author Topic: Starting Tecnique  (Read 4588 times)

Offline mvbrutalerider

• Yama-Rookie
  • Hold my beer and watch this!
Re: Starting Tecnique
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2012, 03:17:42 AM »
so this may sound really dumb, but have you tried a different spark plug? I just read this whole thing again and ran into a similar problem on a Yamaha Blaster that I had. Had a bad plug in it, changed it out to a new plug (but unknowingly the WRONG plug) and it kinda did the same thing. Once i went through EVERYTHING else and spent large sums of money on parts and what not, it turned out it was a $3 plug. Started right up with the right one in there. Worth having a look at.

- Justin
I CAN'T SPELL! But feel free to point it out every chance you get!

84 IT 490 (Zoe)
- 97 YZ250 Flat-slide Carb
- 97 YZ250 front end
- DG Pipe
- DG Muffler
- Converted 12V DC electrical system
- 6500K HID Headlight
- LED Tail/Stop lights in stock housing
- A few custom secret bits he

Offline ant73

• Yama-God
  • lets go for a ride
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2012, 11:32:22 AM »
The spark plug lead is not near anything on the frame (like exhuast brackets) and shorting out, or touching anything it shouldn't.
I had a problem that sounded a bit like yours and this was my problem, I taped a bit of inner tube around the lead near the bracket and it went fine after that. Get some one to look for a spark off the lead in a dark place while you kick it over.
ANT
IT 175G       '83'PEEWEE 50    '69'GA 90     '10'VT750s
Life is short, Occasionally Bend the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Life may not to be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance

Offline wabill

• Yama-Legend
  • I started shaving pretty early!
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2012, 11:29:49 PM »
Thanks
Pulled the coil before and tested the coil , leads, cap and have swapped plugs on several occasions with new ones.

Simple rules are fuel/air, compression and spark it MUST go.

Cheers

Steve
The older I get the better I was!

Offline The Transplanter

• Yama-Rookie
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2012, 10:14:05 PM »
Did you get to the bottom of this Steve?

Im having similar trouble with my 490!

The previous owner had fitted a tyre valve in the air box (without the valve), I wondered why it was there, but now after reading this I bet it was used for squirting in ether (easystart)  :o

Offline wabill

• Yama-Legend
  • I started shaving pretty early!
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2012, 01:57:05 PM »
Yeah pretty much
Its combination of things.
First the compression was bit low ,a top OH did seem to help but still a pig to start, especially if hot.

Have been riding a bit lately and she has been very smokey but didnt think too much about it until recently when it became apprent she was sucking oil from the gear box into the crank area.

Replaced the crank seal on the primary side but no improvement. So its the dreaded split the case to re seal the case option I guess.

I have the 4 speed YZ box in her now so Im on the scavenger hunt for the 5 speed bits and Ill bring her back to a 5 speeder when I do it.

Have found most bits and Ive had a great deal help from one member with some gear parts.

The bits should all trickle in over the next few weeks and then Ill get into her again.

Cheers
Steve
The older I get the better I was!

Offline 2fITy.J

• Yama-God
  • To get ahead, it's one down, five up!
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2012, 06:02:05 PM »
but still a pig to start, especially if hot.
Cheers
Steve

My IT250J needs FULL throttle to start when hot....I can kick till I'm blue in the face or it cools down before it starts otherwise. Absolutely nothing to fault about the motor whatsoever...just it's little quirk.

Cheers,
Chris.
A bike in the bush is worth two in the shed!

BMW-BSA-Ducati-Honda-Kawasaki-Lambretta-Matchless-Norton-Suzuki-Triumph-Vespa-Yamaha.

Dirty Dozen '13 DR650SE - '90 DR650RS - '82 IT465J - '82 IT250J - '80 GT80G - '77 A100B - '76 DT100C - '76 TC125 - '75 TM75 - '73 MX80 -       '73 TC100K - '69 TC120-1

Offline motomike

• Yama-Pupil
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2019, 09:45:35 AM »
wabill , i know topic is very old but if you are still around i need to get clarification please....
My stator plate timing is as yours, ive checked as u have with dial guage and eventually slotted out the plate to be able to turn it counter clockwise... so that the marks are better alighned, i also used drill to confirm firing so i presume now that the ignition timing is more as it should be ... ..i dont follow your remark that states the timing was correct in the middle marks (or something to that effect...)  Have you finalised and happy with what u settled on as correct , and please confirm where u settled up..  tx Mike