Author Topic: Starting Tecnique  (Read 4590 times)

Offline wabill

• Yama-Legend
  • I started shaving pretty early!
Re: Starting Tecnique
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2011, 09:53:56 PM »
OK
Thanks I will, it does have a new one but thats no guarantee.

Spent an hour or so on it today, cleaned up the connectors and the earth points, now has very bright blue spark but still erratic at low spped such as the kicking over speeds.

Checked the coils all Ok and in spec or just about. My sparky mate had a look and said they were fine.

Reset the timing back to where it was before my son fiddled with it.

Ill re time properly tomorrow and check the CDi is letting a current go to the primary side each time to see if I can isolate into a part of the system at least.

Had a few kicks at it today but again she just fluffed once and then nothing.

Havent got into the carby yet so may pull that and at least check the float is set right and the jets are clean clear etc.

Cheers
Steve
The older I get the better I was!

Offline Zorak

• Yama-Hero
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2011, 11:14:04 PM »
the use of a drill to check the timing is an interesting one..... is your crank keyway at the top while the piston is at TDC and do you know what numbers are on your stator and flywheel? the flywheel should be F3T2## ? im interested as mine may have a miss-matched flywheel and stator, i'm trying to learn more about this.
tang tang tang tang tang tang tang tang

Offline kim80y

• Yama-Idol
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2011, 10:48:37 AM »
Pictures pictures and more pictures, It may have the wrong stator plate and or coils.

Cheers
Kim
u can't ride it if u can't start it!  THUNDER
86 Yamaha YZ490-Fully road legal! 1975 MX400B,1981 IT250H,2015 KTM300 10 Days..cos its better than 6

Offline wabill

• Yama-Legend
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2011, 12:04:18 PM »
Hi Guys

Dont know about the crank key position at TDC but Ill check today. Also get some pics.
I think I do have the FT3 flywheel but again Ill check.

The drill trick is an old one, hook a variable speed ,reversible electric drill to the crank nut via a socket in the chuck, remove spark plug, connect a power timing light and you can check spark timing at various speeds and with a varible speed drill you can check the spark advances as it should. Not having a tacho is an issue as my workshop tacho drives from the centre of the shaft but you can get electronic ones that read off the spark plug line.

Ill grab some pics today for posting.

Cheers
Steve

Offline wabill

• Yama-Legend
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2011, 08:59:40 PM »
Hi All
Some pics of the stator and flywheel.

It seems its the correct parts but Ill leave the more experienced here to make that judgement.

You will see Ive marked the pics with where my timing marks work out.
 Frankly dont care where they come out at as long as it runs

We re timed today and set up properly with a dail gauge.

Any way after setting up it still only fluffed once and nothing.

Pulled the carby and found the float way out at about 7mm to 8mm to high. Not enough fuel in bowl??

Anyway  cleaned it out, blew thru the passages and reset it all as per the mtc manual.

When kicking the girl son noticed that the rubber boot on the carby moved up and down. Hmm I know hat that means!

Pull the reed valve and guess what!

Always something simple.

Found the broken petal jambed in the reed housing - Lucky.
I noticed the reed stops werent fitted. Someone just fitted the Boysen reeds without them which I beleive is not the right thing to do?

Any body got a reed block or at least the stops they want to sell??
Ive checked the web seem to be avialable from Yamaha still.

Cheers

Offline 2fITy.J

• Yama-God
  • To get ahead, it's one down, five up!
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2011, 09:26:15 PM »
Just as an aside to all the stator checking and what-not, try using another 6v ignition coil. This fixed the exact same spark problem you are experiencing. I had added a new plug, then lead, cleaned the carb and reeds, was about to spend big bucks on the engines electricals and just tried another ignition coil from a kawasaki 250 kx. Problem was immediately solved and that coil is still on the bike.

Cheers,
Chris.
A bike in the bush is worth two in the shed!

BMW-BSA-Ducati-Honda-Kawasaki-Lambretta-Matchless-Norton-Suzuki-Triumph-Vespa-Yamaha.

Dirty Dozen '13 DR650SE - '90 DR650RS - '82 IT465J - '82 IT250J - '80 GT80G - '77 A100B - '76 DT100C - '76 TC125 - '75 TM75 - '73 MX80 -       '73 TC100K - '69 TC120-1

Offline Bikefreak

• Yama-Idol
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2011, 10:36:30 PM »
Just as an aside to all the stator checking and what-not, try using another 6v ignition coil. This fixed the exact same spark problem you are experiencing. I had added a new plug, then lead, cleaned the carb and reeds, was about to spend big bucks on the engines electricals and just tried another ignition coil from a kawasaki 250 kx. Problem was immediately solved and that coil is still on the bike.

Cheers,
Chris.

What.....a coil off a green bike on the blue bike...that's sacrilege. You will have to rectify that.   ::) :o ;D ;D

Offline 2fITy.J

• Yama-God
  • To get ahead, it's one down, five up!
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2011, 11:16:27 PM »
Are you the regulator.......  ::)
A bike in the bush is worth two in the shed!

BMW-BSA-Ducati-Honda-Kawasaki-Lambretta-Matchless-Norton-Suzuki-Triumph-Vespa-Yamaha.

Dirty Dozen '13 DR650SE - '90 DR650RS - '82 IT465J - '82 IT250J - '80 GT80G - '77 A100B - '76 DT100C - '76 TC125 - '75 TM75 - '73 MX80 -       '73 TC100K - '69 TC120-1

Offline wabill

• Yama-Legend
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2011, 09:13:07 AM »
Thanks for the tip on the coil, that was something I was going to test/ isolate by checking if the CDI was leting go a signal to the primary side of the coil each time.
At this stage Ill have to fix the reeds before progressing any further.

Cheers
Steve

Offline Bikefreak

• Yama-Idol
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2011, 08:25:51 AM »
Are you the regulator.......  ::)

Nay. Are you?